Ruby-crowned kinglet on a snowy day

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've become obsessed with kinglets this spring and was thrilled to get this hyperactive little bird in focus when it launched. I'd welcome critiques.
(1/1600 s, f/5.6, ISO 3600; Nikon D500, 500 mm PF 5.6)

DSC_3051-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Congratulations on a fine image! I spent 2-1/2 hours a couple of days ago trying to photograph gold crowned kinglets ( same size and just as hyper active). Was using a D500 & 500PF. I didn't get even one shot as good as yours.

Good job to even get the shot. Got the rump patch and even a little bit of the ruby crown. Not sure what the crop was, but looking at the down wing, it looks a little noisy. Maybe Topaz De Noise AI? Also, a tough job, but cloning out the branch running through and below his wing would remove a major distraction for me.

Good job to even get the shot. Got the rump patch and even a little bit of the ruby crown. Not sure what the crop was, but looking at the down wing, it looks a little noisy. Maybe Topaz De Noise AI? Also, a tough job, but cloning out the branch running through and below his wing would remove a major distraction for me.
Thanks for the comments, @bajadreamer. Much appreciated. I'd used the Low Light setting in Topaz DeNoise to get rid of the noise. I chose that setting over the others because I preferred the sharpening treatment elsewhere on the bird—the other settings made the feathers on the rest of the body look artificial and over-processed. I'll see if I can't find a happy medium. (Two passes through DeNoise?) I'll also try cloning out that branch. I agree that it's a distraction. I'll post a revised version when I'm done.

Thanks for the comments, @bajadreamer. Much appreciated. I'd used the Low Light setting in Topaz DeNoise to get rid of the noise. I chose that setting over the others because I preferred the sharpening treatment elsewhere on the bird—the other settings made the feathers on the rest of the body look artificial and over-processed. I'll see if I can't find a happy medium. (Two passes through DeNoise?) I'll also try cloning out that branch. I agree that it's a distraction. I'll post a revised version when I'm done.
Are you using DeNoise AI? If so, the masking tool, although a little cumbersome, works well to limit area affected. Also, with AI you can tweek the auto settings (reduce or even eliminate the sharpening).

Back