Rumors: How likely is a Z90?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon must be fully aware of the sales implications of this glaring gap - namely the ~$2500 niche ie a DX Z MILC embodying Z9 technology, particularly given Nikon has the leading wildlife optics lineup

"... Fujifilm has taken note of the growing popularity of wildlife photography and has put increasingly more effort into attracting such photographers to their brand.... "

Nikon must be fully aware of the sales implications of this glaring gap - namely the ~$2500 niche ie a DX Z MILC embodying Z9 technology, particularly given Nikon has the leading wildlife optics lineup

"... Fujifilm has taken note of the growing popularity of wildlife photography and has put increasingly more effort into attracting such photographers to their brand.... "

I’m sure they are…but that leading lens lineup is for FX and putting a DX body on an FX lens doesn’t reduce the weight sign over a Z8…sure, lighter a bit not a lot given the lens weight. So…to really have a viable DX wildlife kit they need a bunch of DX lenses that don’t exist. They could obviously build those and the body as well with some limitations based on heat and battery. But…what’s the size of that market niche and is it worth it to them and can they build it for a price that fits into the DX market price range? I’m guessing not…or at least not close enough or the market demand is too small or not enough engineering resources or more likely a combination of all of those.

I’m sure they are…but that leading lens lineup is for FX and putting a DX body on an FX lens doesn’t reduce the weight sign over a Z8…sure, lighter a bit not a lot given the lens weight. So…to really have a viable DX wildlife kit they need a bunch of DX lenses that don’t exist. They could obviously build those and the body as well with some limitations based on heat and battery. But…what’s the size of that market niche and is it worth it to them and can they build it for a price that fits into the DX market price range? I’m guessing not…or at least not close enough or the market demand is too small or not enough engineering resources or more likely a combination of all of those.
No, they don't: Wildlife photographers have been using FX lenses with the D500 and D7500 since they came out. The 500pf is already an awesome, lightweight lens for wildlife that feels great on a DX body. The Z600pf would be the same.

No, they don't: Wildlife photographers have been using FX lenses with the D500 and D7500 since they came out. The 500pf is already an awesome, lightweight lens for wildlife that feels great on a DX body. The Z600pf would be the same.
Yep, the 200-500 is a prime example of an FX lens being very popular with a DX body. That's a heavy lens, but the new Z FX telephoto lenses are pretty light so I don't understand why mounting them to a DX body would be an issue.

right, i don’t think the juice was ever worth the squeeze from their perspective to make HIGH END dx lenses.

Last edited:
The Z8 is basically $3700 and FF. Yes, you can shoot in crop mode with it but an aps-c at maybe max $2500 would be in my budget. Would those hundred replies consider a crop sensor Nikon Z to be a dead issue?
Yup. Think I would consider it a “dream burger” for those in love with crop sensor cameras…. In other words…. a camera limited to DX format. The D500 was Nikon’s “Hail Mary” with crop sensor in a DSLR…. And IS STILL a great camera. When you look through the EXIF data on some of the images on this site you find amazing work done with the D500. The pixel count difference between a Z8/9 in DX mode and an aps-c is minuscule.

I seem to remember the first digital “consumer” level cameras Nikon produced were all DX. This would be D100, 200, 300, 7000, 5300… etc.. Lenses were branded as FX lenses however. So, if you had a D200 & 17-55mm marked lens, it was actually a 26-83mm. I shot with a D100/200 for years starting in 2003. These were 6 and 12 mp cameras that used giant CF cards….as I remember. When Nikon figured out how to engineer the FX format in a consumer camera it was a big deal with impressive press releases. I bought one. Think it was a D700…Then I upgraded to the D750 when it came out. Great camera.

But many photographers were accustomed to the DX format and stayed loyal. The crown jewel was the D500. I had one and loved it. High continuous frame rate, compact, well sorted out and quality build. But the nagging issue for me was the redundancy to the D850 I was using at the time. With the touch of a button I could switch from FX to DX with the D850. I sold the 500 and got a 2nd 850. Then came Z and everything changed. Nikon, Canon, Sony, et al… flipped the table….

With the new (and competitive) technology coming in leaps and bounds it’s hard for me to think Nikon will digress to a “new” model dedicated to DX when the benefits are right there in the current Z lineup….🧐

What do you think………?

This type of thread has popped up multiple times and always devolves to the same pattern: a group asking for it, and a group arguing that the Z8 is already filling that need.

Nikon will make it eventually after more pressing models (e.g., Z6iii) if it has decided that is worthwhile. Successful models from other brands in the segment already exist for them to pull data from.

Honestly, even an expeed 7 DX model that replaces the D7xxx line would be a welcome addition: dual card slots, available replacement parts, 3D tracking, etc,...

imo canon is killing it in the entry space and imo this is a purposeful priority on their part.

the r6ii is a great example of this imo. it’s the lowest priced body i don’t hesitate to recommend for dog sports.

it’s clear each company took a bit different strategy to help them differentiate themselves

Back