Safari Feedback and Equipment (hope it is of use)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just came back from Tanzania and had with me 2 Nikon Z8s, Nikon S 70-200 F2.8 and Nikon S 400 F4.5. For those thinking of equipment, this combination is wonderful.
- Total weight of my bad was 8kg. Very easy to handle the two cameras with lenses, including in the safari vehicles
- Incredible quality. With the 70-200, in some cases I cropped pictures and the result remained oustanding
- Very useful with low light conditions with F2.8 and F4.5 respectively
- In practice, I didn't miss a 600 or longer. In some cases, you could see heat waves and a longer lens would have made very little difference
- Initially, I struggled with changing subjects, from mammals to birds. You don't have much type to change settings. I put the recall function as a Bird mode and assigned it to the lens Fn2 button. This proved to be very effective (switch to Bird recognition, high speed 1/4500, open a little aperture). Very practical. Also, I usually don't do birds but I was surprised how well it worked for BIF.
- ended with 10,000 pictures over a week so going through selection now but as said above, quality (to my eyes) on a MacBook 16inch screen is fantastic.

Hope this helps
Frederic

Just came back from Tanzania and had with me 2 Nikon Z8s, Nikon S 70-200 F2.8 and Nikon S 400 F4.5. For those thinking of equipment, this combination is wonderful.
- Total weight of my bad was 8kg. Very easy to handle the two cameras with lenses, including in the safari vehicles
- Incredible quality. With the 70-200, in some cases I cropped pictures and the result remained oustanding
- Very useful with low light conditions with F2.8 and F4.5 respectively
- In practice, I didn't miss a 600 or longer. In some cases, you could see heat waves and a longer lens would have made very little difference
- Initially, I struggled with changing subjects, from mammals to birds. You don't have much type to change settings. I put the recall function as a Bird mode and assigned it to the lens Fn2 button. This proved to be very effective (switch to Bird recognition, high speed 1/4500, open a little aperture). Very practical. Also, I usually don't do birds but I was surprised how well it worked for BIF.
- ended with 10,000 pictures over a week so going through selection now but as said above, quality (to my eyes) on a MacBook 16inch screen is fantastic.

Hope this helps
Frederic
Quick question...Did you use a monopod or tripod in the Safari vehicle? I'm leaving in a few months and slightly concerned about being able to handle the weight for a long period of time, but am also unsure of the space available for either. Thanks!

I am leaving on the 22nd to South Africa and indeed, I always loved my 70-200mm f/2.8 E FL on my DSLRs. Today, it is replaced with the 100-400.
For myself, I would miss the +400mm reach as I use it for a real intimate shot of mammals or birding.
However, we all have selected the gear we like to use and there is plenty of choice out there for all of us :)

No monopod needed with these light lenses. However, I have a very small one that I use to hang the camera from the outside of the vehiclen and get the camera closer to the ground. It weights only 200 grams.

I am leaving on the 22nd to South Africa and indeed, I always loved my 70-200mm f/2.8 E FL on my DSLRs. Today, it is replaced with the 100-400.
For myself, I would miss the +400mm reach as I use it for a real intimate shot of mammals or birding.
However, we all have selected the gear we like to use and there is plenty of choice out there for all of us :)
I’m on safari as I write. Z8+z180-600 is heavy but light enough to carry.
i have a monopod, but tbh never used it. The tourist vehicle is too bouncy…so I rest the camera/lens on my left arm, while seated, orvjust in my lap. Frankly, a monopod would be a burden as there’s not really much room. These vehicles we’ve had so far are quite full…3x3 people aboard. When we stop to shoot, it’s easy enough to hand hold…and your 100-400 is easier.
so no to the monopod.
note that while I’m on safari, I’m actually on a cruise, and these safaris are the typical 5 hours tourists trips. On a true, organised safari, it may be different. I doubt though, that you’d benefit from a monopod unless you’ll be stopping for long periods.

Back