Safari lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I will be leaving on Safari in a few months and have a question about my camera lens. I have a Z8 with a Tamron 100-400 zoom lens. Since my camera can also shoot in DX as well as full frame, I was wondering if making a purchase of the sigma 60 x 600 is worth the price. Since I can crop to 600 with my Tamron will the quality of the photos vary greatly? Thanks,

Cropping is not the same as focal length. You get a similar field of view, but 400mm is 400mm regardless of if it's cropped or not. There's a difference not only in resolution but also background rendering and DoF compared to an actual 600mm lens. Plus, there may be times you need more reach than even a cropped 400mm can provide and the 600mm could be handy. For our safaris, people do pretty well with superzoom like 200-600, 180-600, or 150-600. (I'm not familiar with the 60-600 so I don't know if it's a good lens or not - someone else will likely chime in)

I had the Sigma 60-600mm and it was very good for video with excellent image stabilization if was not a very sharp lens for taking stills. I effectively replaced it with the new Nikon 28-400mm lens. Combine this lens with the Nikon 180-600mm makes for a wide range with only two lenses in your bag.

Consider what you will also want to have for your stateside photo trips, both to get more value and to practice before heading off to Africa.

Where in Africa are you going? Depending on the location and type of reserve (public vs private) there might be some differences in how you build your kit out (and how you potentially do or don’t spend money). For example, the ability to drive off-road can greatly impact how near to animals you can get. Other places have some pretty epic animal-scape opportunities. Some other questions it might be helpful to know the answer to in order to get the best advice on here are:

1. Are you open to renting?
2. If you aren’t open to renting, as Calson mentioned, what else do you typically enjoy photographing?
3. Is there any sort of weight restriction for your travels/are there any packing considerations that might impact what you take?
4. Are you planning on just one body and one lens? Or two bodies and multiple lenses? Renting can also help with this, and if taking meaningful pictures is important to you then some sort of backup strategy is probably worth considering.
5. Are you planning on going on safari ever again? Or is this a once in a lifetime trip?

With all that being said, I think if it is a once in a lifetime trip, and you are doing one body and one lens I’d look at renting or buying either the native Z Nikon super zoom or Tamron superzoom. If you are buying, the resale value of z mount glass will hold up better than buying f mount at this point (although maybe you could find f mount glass cheap). The Tamron is readily available and I’ve started seeing the Nikon show up in some brick and mortar shops (albeit briefly). If you are open to taking more than one body, I’d probably suggest either of those super zooms on one body, the 24-120 on a second body, and take the Tamron 100-400 you already own as a backup.

Another reference you may want to look at is Thom Hogan’s website, as he safaris in Botswana almost annually. Here is a link to a fairly recent article that talks about various kits with Nikon Z glass, and you could easily substitute the Tamron 150-500 for the Nikon 180-600.

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/the-second-safari-lens.html

Last edited:
The Sigma 60-600 in Nikon is only available in F mount for SLR cameras, so you would have to use the FTZ adaptor to put it on your Z8. (Maybe you already know this and maybe you don't). In my view it makes zero sense to buy a new non-native mount lens for a Z mount body. And this lens costs more than the outstanding Nikon Z 180-600 which would be the better choice. Or if you want to save money get the Z mount Tamron 150-500.

Dare I suggest getting a four thirds camera and lens. I mention this having just bought a panasonic G9 camera with a 100-300mm lens (equivent to 600mm full frame camera) or one that does up to 400mm (800mm ff) ie Panasonic 100-400mm f4-6.3 Leica DG Vario-Elmar ASPH Power OIS II Lens
not only is it small but also lighter and does have dual card SD slots configured as video and stills - both together or follow on. Together with a atriculated rear screen may be a better option. forgot to mention dual image stablisation, in camera and another in the lens working in conjunction with each other. Great if only hand holding.
I did test for sharpness with the 100-300 lens

on a tripod uncropped 40ft distance f5.6 @1/640" ISO 320 auto focus as taken no editing @300mm
P1000959zzz.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have been to Africa two times--Botswana and Tanzania. In Tanzania, I used a Nikon 500mm f4 prime with a 1.4x tc on a Nikon crop sensor body. In Botswana, a 300mm f2.8. My second body had a 70-200mm.

I would recommend the Z mount 180-600mm as a new purchase or rental for Africa. For a second body, rent another Z8 so your cameras and lenses and batteries, etc are essentially interchangeable.

Great advice, thanks. I’ll be using a borrowed 180-600 this week. Trying to stay with Nikon when possible. The Sigma 60-600 would offer such a good reason not to carry an extra lens or body. But we’ll see. Thanks again.

There are several options that complicate deciding 'Which?' among the unmatchable range of Nikon telephotos (adding the new 180-600 f6.3, 600 f4S TC and 600 f6.3S PF that are not compared in the latter article).

Arguably, a 70-180 f2.8 and 180-600 f6.3 is the "best Budget-Pairing" choice.

The 100-400 will cover many subjects. A 600 and also 800 on a FX ILC are extremely useful for tighter framing.

The Z-mount Teleconverters are also reliable, as described here on a 400 f4.5S with both TCs.

Last edited:
On photography safari in the Massai Mara in Kenya last year several of us were using the Nikon Z9s and the Nikkor 400 f/2.8 tc lens as the primary lens. Others were using equivalent Canon equipment. I also brought a Z7 and the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 for video and for a lot of very close work and people shots. We are planning on going back next year and I will replace the Z7 with a Z8 and stick with the same lenses and probably take the 24-120 as well. It is a bit heavy but you can get it on the plane in a bag that is airline compliant. The worry is the smaller planes in Africa. Fortunately we have been with photography groups and they alert the smaller airlines of our need and everything is fine. If you are flying to various camps in Africa you need to think this through and check with your safari company to see how they can help you.

On my trips to Africa, I use 2 camera bodies (I have 2 Z9s, long story, but 2 Z8s would be great) and have one with the Z 600mm TC and one with the Z 100-400mm zoom, both in the safari vehicle with me. I have never wished for anything shorter and rarely wished for something longer than 840mm. I know, really expensive. My wife is using the Z 180-600mm for the decreased weight and ease of use.

Back