Safari Top 3 Destinations in Africa (2021)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ado Wolf

Hello everyone,

I planned to go on a Safari in 2019, then COVID hit us.. hit us hard. Since then I ran out of patience and I finally bought the D850, so I decided to go on one this year (regardless of COVID).

What would be the top 3 Destination in Africa. I would like to see Elephants, Rhinos, Giraffes and Wildcats. Combining it with a Beach location (e.g. Zanzibar) would be the cherry on top!

What I found online so far are:
- Serengeti National Park
Tanzania
Tanzania
- Mana Pools National Park
Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe
- Mala Mala Game Reserve
South Africa
South Africa

Would 10 days be enough?

Anything to keep in mind (to prevent theft of gear, safety, etc.)?

Thanks in advance and happy shooting.

I did a Tanzania safari about 10 years ago. I stayed at the Singita Grumeti Reserve, and it was fantastic. My Safari was the first week of December and the Serengeti was lush and green. We saw everything except Wildebeest, the great migration happens earlier in the fall.

There were no concerns with safety.
As for gear, to get to the safari site, you take a small bush plane. I believe they try to limit weight to about 30lbs of luggage/person.

Also, I did a short safari in along the boarder of SA and Botswana in May. That time of year is fall in the southern hemisphere, it was much drier and dustier than the one I did in December.

I will post a few photos to this thread later today.

CCS_3378.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
CCS_3534.jpg
CCS_3948.jpg
CCS_3990.jpg
CCS_3545.jpg

Hello everyone,

I planned to go on a Safari in 2019, then COVID hit us.. hit us hard. Since then I ran out of patience and I finally bought the D850, so I decided to go on one this year (regardless of COVID).

What would be the top 3 Destination in Africa. I would like to see Elephants, Rhinos, Giraffes and Wildcats. Combining it with a Beach location (e.g. Zanzibar) would be the cherry on top!

Tanzania
Tanzania
Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe
- Mala Mala Game Reserve
South Africa
South Africa

Would 10 days be enough?

Hi Ado. I have been fortunate to spend a good deal of time visiting various southern African countries and their game parks over the past 25 years. The big issue is budget, as there is a huge variation. Of the ones you have picked, i would favour Mana Pools for variety. I have spent a good deal of time in the Sabi Sands area, including Mala Mala. The camps there can be fantastic but are expensive and quite restrictive. (They have strict boundaries between the different camps, Sabi Sabi, Mala Mala, Londolozi etc.) For a first trip, with photography taking priority, I would consider either the Okavango or Chobe River to be added to the mix. The Chobe River is fantastic for photography and can be done on a reasonable budget. (Houseboats on the Chobe can be really good.) The Okavango is my favourite place in Africa but not easy to do on a tight budget. Zambian reserves are fantastic (South Luanga etc) but have become very expensive recently.
Two less known places, that can be done as a twin centre trip, are Pafuri Camp in the north east of South Africa and Mashatu, on the Botswana / South Africa border. Mashatu is really set up well for photographers and is assisted by C4 Images.
I would not be over concerned about safety, any more than anywhere else in the world when travelling with camera gear. Just normal caution.
I can't help you with beach recommendations but many South African chose to go to the Mozambique islands, which are supposed to be incredible.
I can "Highly" recommend Wilderness Safaris in South Africa, for all African locations. Again, they may be out of budget but their camps are amazing.

I can only speak for the southern African parks, so here goes:
I experienced three game reserves in Botswana in the Okavango Delta. Moremi, Savuti, and Chobe. All of these are great, so do a Google search for private outfits that offer accommodation, meals and game drives, or in the case of Chobe, a riverboat experience as well. Google reviews of the places you find and that will help you decide if you want to go to that area. Steve Perry leads photo tours to the Okavango in Botswana as well. See https://backcountrygallery.com/africa-botswana-photo-safari-2/

In South Africa, probably the most famous game reserve is the Kruger National Park (KNP), operated by the South African government. This park is huge, with a great variety of wildlife. Pafuri, as mentioned by ingweDave above, is in the northern part of KNP. Look for private outfits that operate in or adjacent to the KNP. Most of them cater to overseas tourists and the competition is strong, so most of the larger and well-known ones are great. So in South Africa, I can highly recommend Thornybush (I did safaris there in 2016 and again in 2019). Other very famous and well-known ones are Sabi Sands, Londolozi, Timbavati. Thornybush is the smaller of these reserves and is adjacent to Timbavati. The fences between these parks and the KNP have been removed so wildlife roams freely between them. See https://www.africanbudgetsafaris.co...-reserves-for-budget-safaris-in-south-africa/
You will find a host of information on Tripadvisor and other reviews on these reserves.

The reserves in southern Africa are often in areas with lush flora, especially in summer. While beautiful to look at it can be hard to see animals amongst the foliage. For that reason it can be better to visit there in late fall, winter or early spring when there's less foliage. It makes for better animal viewing.

Hello,

My top destinations in Africa

1. Serengeti National Park - Tanzania
2. Ruaha National Park - Tanzania
3. Namib-Naukluft Park - Namibia (Bucket list)

In my experience, starting 4 - 10 days will be enough and you will have very enough images in your library. Last month was in Serengeti for 7 days / 8 nights. We managed to get very decent images and we managed to see/photograph all animals except Rhino.

About gear safety, I suggest you should insure them just to be on the safe side. I never had any issues.

If you would like to visit Tanzania anytime ..... I will be very happy to sort all the logistics and get the best experience.

Karibu Tanzania,

Happy shooting!

Joe Ndekia.

Few BTS on our last trip in Serengeti.

IMG_4428.jpg
IMG_4565.jpg
IMG_4639.jpg

My feedback on Mana Pools NP

Hello everyone,

Would 10 days be enough?

One could stay weeks in Mana.
Check out Camp Mana - Steve Bolnick

He is knowledgeable, years experience and strictly conservation focused. Having a biology degree helps, as too many guides IME are weak on even the most elementary concepts etc of the life sciences, especially taxonomy and ecology. His outfit cater for and support wildlife photographers - both guided walks, staking out drinking points, pools etc as well as drives.

I recommend Mashatu highly. Productive for predators. Feedback on Guides are positive.

Luangwa in E Zambia is excellent - true wilderness on one of the world's last intact Big rivers. Busanga Plains N Kafue also excellent, including predators preying on the plains game, including Puku and Red Lechwe. Kruger and surrounding Private conservancies (but many are very top range $$$$), Kalakgadi and Etosha have best best chances of seeing Felis caffra, also Caracal. If you are very very lucky in SW Kalahari perhaps Felis nigripes (SW Arid endemic).

Also check out Selous NP, SE Tanzania.....

No problems in Mana and Hwange, Zambian parks etc IME- be vigilant en route. Insure you gear for foreign travel. Take Malerone ( Atovaquone + proguanil ) which is the malaria prophylactic that actually works with minimal side effects.

Check a reliable up to date fieldguide on mammals for respective distributions, including Bovids of the World . As they help planning for key subjects: eg there are no gnus nor giraffe in the Middle Zambezi rift (ie Mana and Lower Zambezi NP's), yet the Luangwa valley to the NE across the horst has several endemic ungulates including Thornicroft's giraffe, Crawshay's zebra, Cookson's Gnu.

enjoy :)

Last edited:
A couple of years ago we did 8 days safari and 5 days beach afterwards in Kenya. We worked with a company called Gamewatchers Safari - fantastic people, great service, ecologically oriented camp, good social values AND - saw everything we wanted to see. Leopards, lions, wilsebeast, elephants, cheetahs - and all the glorious smaller animals and birds of Africa. Economically speaking, based on my research, they are definitely on the more affordable side. Would go again in an instant. The consultant we worked with, Wayne, helped us plan it all according to our budget and wishes. Great company!

Don't you watch the news? Fewer than 0.001 percent of the people in African countries have been vaccinated. Hospitals are turing away anyone who does not have Covid-19 so if you had heart problems or picked up a parasite or broke and ankle, you will need to wait until you arrive back in the USA to get treatment. Travel insurance does not cover medical or any other expenses during an epidemic so any medical bills including a $30,000 air ambulance bill will be yours to pay out of pocket.

The countries that are safe for travelers are Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea, New Zealand, and Cuba. Assuming they will allow Americans to enter their country without a 2-3 week quarantine interval on arrival they would be at the top of my list, in particular Vietnam, Cuba, and New Zealand.

Don't you watch the news? Fewer than 0.001 percent of the people in African countries have been vaccinated. Hospitals are turing away anyone who does not have Covid-19 so if you had heart problems or picked up a parasite or broke and ankle, you will need to wait until you arrive back in the USA to get treatment. Travel insurance does not cover medical or any other expenses during an epidemic so any medical bills including a $30,000 air ambulance bill will be yours to pay out of pocket.

The countries that are safe for travelers are Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea, New Zealand, and Cuba. Assuming they will allow Americans to enter their country without a 2-3 week quarantine interval on arrival they would be at the top of my list, in particular Vietnam, Cuba, and New Zealand.
Methinks the original poster is from Switzerland or thereabouts, not USA.

@Rassie @Calson it is true, I live in Switzerland.. and have survived 1 Civil war (in the middle east.. long story). I do understand the situation in Africa with respect to COVID.. but this situation won't improve any time soon. In fact, due to mutations, it only took an ugly turn.. So I decided to take my chances now.. considering I am fit, healthy.. and have good chances to avoid Covid / survive it if I get. But I appreciate the concern. It's very kind of you.

@Rassie thank you for your feedback on Botswana and South Africa. I will check them out. South Africa has beaches, so that's something to look into.

@Joe Ndekia thank you for the feedback and offer to help with the logistics. I will check with my friend, who will be joining me and will let you know.

@RichardN thank you for the tip about Gamewatchers. I will check them out.

@fcotterill thank you for your feedback and link on Camp Mana. I will definitely take it into consideration.

@DougC thank you for the tip about Imvelo. I will check them out.

@ingweDave thank you for your feedback on Okavango or Chobe River. Houseboats sounds good and will check it out.

@Casey thank you for your feedback and beautiful photos. I am glad that "out of season" still a possibility is.. This means less number of visitors (less risk of Covid) and the animals are more relaxed.. Wildebeests are nice to see but not a priority.

Okay, My 2 cents: Went to South Africa, from Cape Town to Sabi Sands. Spent a month, saw every animal that has been mentioned, including over 300 new birds. For my first, and most likely only trip, I chose South Africa because it is heads and shoulders more civilized than any other country in Africa. Food was outstanding, lodging wonderful, people most friendly, and cost of living very low. Every place we went was great, but the most favorite place was Kirkmans Kamp in Sabi Sands. Spent our last 5 days there before flying back to Cape Town to return home. Did not want to go near JoBerg, and didn’t. Our trip was in November 2018.

Certainly wouldn’t consider going to that continent until they get a better handle on their COVID problems. Even though I have been vaccinated.

I've been to South Africa, Kenya & Tanzania on Safari, all 3 Countries were fantastic. We also had 5 days on Zanzibar after our Tanzania safari. If you do go to Zanzibar take a tour of the old town. You get to see where Freddie Mercury (lead singer of the rock group Queen) was born & lived for a few years. The tour of the meat & fish market is eye opening ! Also make sure your tour includes the history of the slave trade, it is a fascinating part of History everyone should know about. A tour of the spice fields is also recommended. Re: security - I used a money belt to keep our passports and cash safe, I didn't wear my expensive watch, just a G-Shock. I also used small, cheap travel padlocks on my suitcase & camera bag when they were left in the many hotel/lodge rooms we stayed in. We had items stolen from our bags in SA & it could only have been the staff who had access to our rooms that could have took it. I swear I also had money taken from the safe in one of the lodges we stayed at in Tanzania. I came back from Tanzania with 7,450 images on my HDD. Use two camera bodies with long & short lenses. In Tanzania your jeep has to stay on the 'roads' or dirt tracks so sometimes even my 500mm pf on my D500 wasn't enough reach! In Kenya the jeeps are allowed to roam freely so you may get quite close to the wildlife at times.

Hello everyone,

Tanzania
Tanzania
Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe
- Mala Mala Game Reserve
South Africa
South Africa

Would 10 days be enough?

I have been several times I recommend “Essential Africa”. Both Lee and Nelis are excellent guides and award winning photographers. They direct the vehical is just the right places to get “the shot”. I went once with another company and was sadly disappointed. I saw the animals, but the vehicle was always pointed in directions that made for poor images. Only if Steve is not taking a trip!

Last edited:
To travel on a budget and have nice photos of those animals I recommend South Africa. I know Tanzania ( Serengeti ,Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara), and Etosha in Namibia.
In South Africa I suggest 4 nights in one of the resorts on Sabi Sands , especially for wildcats ( I did with Tusk photo safaris, from Pretoria) ) and the remaining days self drive in Kruger Park . You can rent a car in Johannesburg and drive to Sabi Sands/Kruger or have a flight from Joburg to Kruger and rent a car there.
Inside Kruger I like to stay in their resting camps like Lower Sabie, Satara and Skukuza).
No time for beach.

Self-driving Kruger is super fun – and very easy to do, if the normal facilities are open. It's obviously fantastic to be in your own vehicle for photography purposes. Each of the larger camps has a small supermarket, restaurant, and lots of accommodation options. Highly recommend Lower Sabie and Satara for various cats and everything else, echoing @Cortez48. Bookings and info at https://www.sanparks.org/.

As Cortez48 says, you can just rent a car at Jo'burg and drive on up on good roads (best to enter at Croc Bridge gate). It's all fairly inexpensive, allowing for a longer trip. You can do guided sunset / night drives or morning walks from the camps.

You could potentially combine that with a Sodwana Bay trip for the beach. Plenty more wildlife over that way too.

That said, I don't know what the situation is like for tourism down there at the moment!

Hello everyone,

Tanzania
Tanzania
Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe
- Mala Mala Game Reserve
South Africa
South Africa

Would 10 days be enough?

I went to East Africa in Dec 2001/Jan 2002. I had a 2.1 mega pixel Kodak camera at that time :) A safari in Tanzania, hike up Kilimanjaro, then another safari in Kenya. I spent New Year's eve in a lodge above the Serengeti.
I have been following 'Pangolin Wildlife Photography' website and youtube, and 'Wild-Eye' website. Both tour groups look excellent.

Last edited:
I have done the Tanzania major parks two separate times within 7 years, about the same time of the year. I felt the second time there were fewer animals just about every where we went. It was still awesome, but not quite as awesome as the first time. South Africa is completely different - I would not even compare them. Tanzania was more about large numbers of the herds ( other than the loners) and open spaces, while South Africa - the animals walked so close ( Kruger - private reserves) I suspect we could have touched the the cats, rhino, elephants if we were stupid enough to try.) The private reserves allows the driver to go wherever the animals are. I suggest you do both, but decide what you really want to see your first time. My next trip will be back to South Africa - and maybe add a different country this time. ( last time I did Zimbabwe and Zambia - both sides of Victoria falls. We also rented a car and stayed on the tourist route to the wine country and coast. Two women - we felt completely safe - even ran daily) I will say South African did not feel as "out there different" like Tanzania felt - especially if one needed medical care. Obviously this is just my opinion)

Be very careful friend because it is so easy to become addicted to Africa. Such a fantastic place. Quite easy to do the Kruger on your own. You can rent a car near the park or right in the park. Be careful of your luggage in the city and towns but once you are in the parks you can relax. Easy to do all of Namibia on your own. Botswana not quite as easy but doable with fantastic wildlife. Zim and Zam most likely need a tour guide. I would be somewhere in Africa now if not for this stinking virus.

Ado, I am probably the newest member of the forum (as of 5 minutes ago) but have over 30 years of experience taking people on safari all over the big game countries of southern and east Africa. I just wanted to mention that you have been given some excellent suggestions in the above replies. Here's my take, for whatever it's worth...time of year is important. Rainy season can be very inexpensive but difficult to negotiate (if it does rain). Dryer (winter) means better chance of good game at waterholes and rivers. Kenya, nothern Serengeti and Maasai Mara have excellent wildlife, but prior to Covid, overpopulated with tourist vehicles. Animal behavior and your photography can be affected by too many pop-top vans (sorry, that may be my hang-up). I would suggest an itinerary that gave you a minimum of 3 or 4 days at each of several different locations. The Okavango Delta is my absolute favorite and there are quite a few choices there. Wilderness Safaris is a fantastic company and is hard to beat, but it is expensive. Moremi, Savuti and Linyanti are all areas in the Delta and spending several days at any of these plus nearby Chobe would be a fantastic SHORT safari. Adding on Mashatu or a primo location within the Greater Kruger, like Mala Mala or Londolozi would be superb. Another possibility would be to stay in the Zimbabwe area in Hwange and definitely Mana Pools if you went in that direction. Every suggestion in its own right has been excellent, my thought is just to tie it together to meet your budget and geographically so you're able to make best use of your time. I am no longer taking groups so I am not replying to you for any personal benefit. Since fewer people will be travelling in the coming months you may find that to be a big benefit. I can promise it will be the trip of a lifetime. This is probably the one trip I would suggest you have an excellent local guide. Renting a vehicle for your first safari may seem like a good idea, but will end up limiting you. It will also be impossible in most of the areas I've mentioned.People returning from the worst itinerary I've ever seen still said it was the best trip they ever took. Good luck and have fun planning.
500_0302.jpg

Last edited:
Some great advice FWIW, I live in Kenya and have been fortunate to undertake many safaris in the country. The region desperately needs tourism when travel conditions permit. The Kenyan government have cut Park fees, lodges have had their rents frozen to allow then to give savings to visitors as an initiativecto make safaris affordable for the domestic market. International visitors will also benefit. Addressing some of the points above. Plan ahead and keep a close eye on travel advice and check the viability of air travel, particularly with arrival and quarantine restrictions. Yes there is covid, yes vaccinations coverage to the general public is low however the mitigation measures of masks wearing, temperature testing, social distancing and use of sanitisers have been implemented since the first case on March 13 2020 and enforcement is far more rigorous that in more developed countries. Additionally the impact is different than that in the Northern hemisphere with low death rates (just over 2,400 since the first case), more asymptomatic and low case numbers fir the population size (148,000 positive covid cases in total) . Expats and international visitors have the benefit of private medical insurance which negated the issue of the over burdened public health sector. Air evacuation and medivac to Nairobi (which is a regional medical hub) from the Parks, Coast and Reserves is cheap - $16 for a months cover. Make sure you have decent medical cover fur any hospital needs.

Maasai Mara did get busy particularly in the migration period and I would advise avoiding the Triangle area and instead go to one of the conservancies where there are strict controls on vehicle numbers. Kicheche Conservancy for example is not only specialises in photography but is a very well run camp. There is a range of prices and styles to suit all pockets.

Another suggestion, if you taking it a trip of a lifetime, I strongly suggest a visit to Uganda to visit the Mountain Gorillas. It’s a short flight from Kenya, yiu can get a regional visa and would only be two days out of your itinerary.

Picking up the suggestions above to try a variety of locations rather than do a long visit in pne place, different locations offer different experiences, Amboseli National Park in SW Kenya is reknowned for it’s elephants as well as attracting a lot of bird life in its fresh water lakes, particularly flamingoes, Ol Oejeta in Laikipia for Rhinos etc. Endorsing SafariMikes comments, I would advise self drive here, get a local guide who knows the area and the animals which not only frees you up to take photos but increases the chance of getting sighting. Every camp will be able to provide vehicles and guides. Also avoid packages where you are picked up from Nairobi and taken to a Park. And avoid safari vans. By all means fly or get a vehicle to take you to the Parks/Reserves but use the locals and a safari wagon (invariably a land cruiser or Land Rover As they are working and living in the environment every day and have great knowledge.

And consider taking a beach break to wind down after a busy safari venture is very viable with great beaches on the North and particularly South Coast. Both are about 45mins from Nairobi by Zanzibar is about 1hr 40 flight from Nairobi

Regarding timing, looking to later in the year is sensible as currently parts of East Africa are having a third Covid wave. Consequentjy within the last few weeks Kenya for example, has imposed additional tough restrictions including the banning of all internal air, road and rail travel from Nairobi and 4 other counties, with the highest infection rated to the rest of the country to mitigate the expected peak of the wave - this was extended today to the end of May when the curve is expected to flatten.

Regional travel can be also difficult at the moment with quarantine and testing requirements pretty universal. However, the animals are unconcerned and I have been fortunate to do two safaris in the last 5 weeks to Amboseli which is in the 5 county zone as well as visiting a friends raptor conservancy at Lake Naivasha, so getting out is still viable even under these extreme conditions. Things will get better!!

Presently we are entering the long rains which usually last till early June and which is not the best period to visit as getting around reserves can become very challenging . The migration takes place between June /July to late September/mid October but can vary. There is a shorter rainy period fur a few weeks in late Oct/November as we approach summer which is Dec to March.

Fingers crossed things will improve. Botswana is on my safari bucket list and I have visited both the Kruger and Sabi Sands which are superb. Whichever option you choose, it will be a fantastic and memorable experience.

Happy to give pointers and info about Sarah’s , photo opportunities etc in Kenya at any time.

Last edited:
@Hawkeshead thank you for the detailed feedback. It is sad to see countries like Kenya suffering from lack of tourism. Switzerland is not a poor country like Kenya but many families that have private business have been declaring bankruptcy as ski-tourism was completely blocked this year. Unlike Tanzania, Kenya is not currently on the risk country list.. so it is high up on my list. I will keep Kicheche Conservancy in mind. Thanks for the tip. At the moment I will stick to one location, due to limited vacation time as well as complicated travel restrictions (due to COVID).

@Capmike @Cortez48 @simonjpierce thank you all for your feedback. South Africa was third on my list unfortunately it is still on the risk country list. Unless this changes soon I have to leave it for another trip (I cannot afford going into a quarantine for 14 days unpaid). I agree south Africans are very friendly, met a few back when I worked in Dubai. I understand and respect your concern on waiting till they get a better handle on their COVID problems. I am not vaccinated yet.. I will keep Lower Sabie and Satara https://www.sanparks.org/ in mind if going there opens up again.

@Ian C. thank you for your reply and input. If Tanzania wasn't on the risk country list it would be my number 1 destination: Zanzibar and Tanzania safari combo. If I do go there, I will take a tour of the old town and the spice fields (big cooking fan : ) Thank you for the tip on the money belt (I do have one), and I don't have any expensive watches.. I spend all my money on photography gear :LOL: 7,450 images, wow, that's impressive. I might have to buy additional SD cards 😅 Yes I will use my D7500+200-500 and the D7200 + 16-35 F4 for wide shots.

@Jhhnmj Thank you on the tip. I will check out “Essential Africa” / Lee and Nelis as guides.

@MikePapple due to limited vacation time I will have to stick to one location. So Kilimanjaro will have to wait till the next round. I will check out
'Pangolin Wildlife Photography' and 'Wild-Eye' website. Thanks for the tip.

@kbird thank you for your reply. This is exactly my fear.. that if I don't go now, eventually there won't be any animals left to see.. I do plan to do both Tanzania / Kenya and South Africa. Sadly COVID isn't making this task any easier.. Your statement "we felt completely safe" is reassuring, thank you.

@Mike-M haha, I can see myself becoming addicted to Africa. Kruger was recommended a few times, sadly it's now a risk country.. so it will have to wait. Namibia however is not.. will check it out.

@SafariMike47 welcome to the forum and thank you for your input. I am planning on going during the Dryer period (not a fan of rain). Kenya, nothern Serengeti and Maasai Mara is now my top choice (not a risk country). I do agree that Animal behavior can be affected by too many pop-top vans. I will keep the Okavango Delta and Wilderness Safaris in mind when I define my itinerary.

Back