Safe way to store camera body/lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My wife has the R6 with 100-500 lens and I'm getting the Z8 with 400 f4.5. I'd like to keep the lens attached to each camera for a couple of reasons: 1) I live on a farm and we have interesting wildlife that pops up at a moment's notice, and 2) I'd like to reduce opportunities for dust to get into the lens or on the sensor.

We've been storing the R6 with attached 100-500 horizontally in a cupboard. The 400 f4.5 appears to be able to stand up vertically on the lens hood inside the cupboard (I have the lens, but not the Z8 yet). Though I'm not sure if that's better than leaving it horizontal because I wouldn't want it to be knocked over. Is it okay to store the equipment this way? I'm not necessarily looking for the "best" way to store it (that might just be in the foam and box it came in...haha), but I am looking for a way that is both safe and practical and won't damage the equipment.

Any thoughts?

My wife has the R6 with 100-500 lens and I'm getting the Z8 with 400 f4.5. I'd like to keep the lens attached to each camera for a couple of reasons: 1) I live on a farm and we have interesting wildlife that pops up at a moment's notice, and 2) I'd like to reduce opportunities for dust to get into the lens or on the sensor.

We've been storing the R6 with attached 100-500 horizontally in a cupboard. The 400 f4.5 appears to be able to stand up vertically on the lens hood inside the cupboard (I have the lens, but not the Z8 yet). Though I'm not sure if that's better than leaving it horizontal because I wouldn't want it to be knocked over. Is it okay to store the equipment this way? I'm not necessarily looking for the "best" way to store it (that might just be in the foam and box it came in...haha), but I am looking for a way that is both safe and practical and won't damage the equipment.

Any thoughts?
There's no problem storing gear outside of cases but I would keep the front lens cap on when it's being stored. I'd also make sure it's stored in a stable way that can't get knocked over if you reach in to grab something else out of the cupboard. Though not strictly necessary if you'll use the gear often, if I'll store a camera or lens or combo on a shelf for any extended periods I'll drape a chamois or large microfiber cloth over the gear to limit the amount of dust that might otherwise settle on it.

The Z9+ 400 f4.5 will fit in the Think Tank Digital Holster 40. You could store in gear on a shelf and when needed, just pull the camera+lens out of the bag. Check sizes on Think Tank website. I'm sure you will find a size that fits you wife's camera and lens.

Or you could get a bag that accommodates the two bodies plus lenses side by side.

I wouldn't want to store the gear standing up. Just too much chance of an accident.

I'd think you'd want a kit for camera, lens, and related stuff. Canon makes a moderately priced backpack with repositionable dividers that would allow the lens to be attached, but there are plenty of options. Just visit a camera store.

I have a camera backpack that i put them in for hiking. It can only fit one setup though. I’ve been putting them on a 3mm foam mat on the shelf in the cupboard (attached). It’s pretty easy to access there.

I store my cameras and lenses horizontally on table/shelf - open and not covered. I also sometimes place my camera so short periods of time in the (mild) sunlight. I do this to reduce the chance of fungal growth as fungus loves the dark and doesn't grow that well in light. So no, I don't cover my gear, nor put it in my safe for extended periods. I think this is the better way - but am always open to better ideas.

I have a couple of Peli cases, fully padded and designed for camera and lenses. The Trek-pak type padding allows me to store the camera with or without lens attached. The case stores easily on a shelf in my office - so access is fast!

Back