San Diego and Santa Barbara

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DanG

I will be visiting these greater areas in early November and since I’ve never been, was wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to locations to photograph wildlife? I am grateful for ideas.

Funny I am in SB now heading to SD. A walk down the beach from the Santa Barbara Inn gave plenty of opportunity for sandpipers, snowy egrets, seagulls and pelicans. There were other smaller birds that I don’t know the name of. I am as curious as you.

In Santa Barbara there's the Santa Barbara Botanical Garden, many birds. The Natural History Museum has an outdoor area near a creek. Goleta Beach Park has Goleta Slough with many shorebirds and the Pacific Ocean. There's also Coal Oil Point Reserve on Devereux Slough. The slough is pretty dry right now but there is a trail that goes around the slough and the beach has Western Snowy Plovers and many other shorebirds. There is a Nature Center and a guided tour on the first Saturday of every month.

Santee Recreational Lakes .... Wood Ducks. I was there in Feb. At that time if you go to the last lake in the string of lakes. The sun reflects off the reeds growing out in the lake (early morning only) illuminating the water, and the wood ducks as they pass by. In Feb the reed were all dead and brown, not sure that will the case in Nov. There weren't many wood ducks, and they weren't very cooperative. With patients there were some good opportunities. Take sitting stool, and a tripod most of the time will be waiting and watching. Check thier web page for hours. Fee to get in, opens earlier on weekends, and maybe Friday. Otherwise you just have to wait...When I was there it wasn't busy. Did run across Art Morris with a workshop there shooting the wood ducks..

San Diego 2022-01-23_0202.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

A good place for brown pelicans is La Jolla Cove, again early morning. The parking there is very limited (along the street), arrive early its a very popular place. Just walk along the ocean side trail the sun will be to your back..This shot was with a 500, I found it a bit long. Switched over to the 70-200 f2.8 with a TE 1.4, a zoom between 200 - 400 would be good. They fly by at various distances. Land on the shore.

San Diego 2022-01-19_0050.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

In Santa Barbara there's the Santa Barbara Botanical Garden, many birds. The Natural History Museum has an outdoor area near a creek. Goleta Beach Park has Goleta Slough with many shorebirds and the Pacific Ocean. There's also Coal Oil Point Reserve on Devereux Slough. The slough is pretty dry right now but there is a trail that goes around the slough and the beach has Western Snowy Plovers and many other shorebirds. There is a Nature Center and a guided tour on the first Saturday of every month.

Thanks this is very helpful

Santee Recreational Lakes .... Wood Ducks. I was there in Feb. At that time if you go to the last lake in the string of lakes. The sun reflects off the reeds growing out in the lake (early morning only) illuminating the water, and the wood ducks as they pass by. In Feb the reed were all dead and brown, not sure that will the case in Nov. There weren't many wood ducks, and they weren't very cooperative. With patients there were some good opportunities. Take sitting stool, and a tripod most of the time will be waiting and watching. Check thier web page for hours. Fee to get in, opens earlier on weekends, and maybe Friday. Otherwise you just have to wait...When I was there it wasn't busy. Did run across Art Morris with a workshop there shooting the wood ducks..

View attachment 48022

A good place for brown pelicans is La Jolla Cove, again early morning. The parking there is very limited (along the street), arrive early its a very popular place. Just walk along the ocean side trail the sun will be to your back..This shot was with a 500, I found it a bit long. Switched over to the 70-200 f2.8 with a TE 1.4, a zoom between 200 - 400 would be good. They fly by at various distances. Land on the shore.

View attachment 48023
thanks for the information and the great images

I will be visiting these greater areas in early November and since I’ve never been, was wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to locations to photograph wildlife? I am grateful for ideas.
I haven’t been for many years, but we enjoyed Point Loma for commanding views of the harbor, lighthouse, etc. (and many naval ships), and loved La Jolla for the seabirds and many seals on the beach.

Back