Sanderling

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BAL Land

Critiques strongly appreciated. I just wish he was turned more towards me!
Canon eos 70d with Sigma 150-600mm C lens.
1/640 at f/7.1, ISO 320.
1800.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I like that the camera is at the bird's level. I like to include a little more of the foreground in shots like this, to me that gives it even more of a feel of being right down on the level of the subject. Nice that you got it with some food. I agree it would be even better if the bird was turned a bit toward you, but it's a very nice shot.

I like the low perspective. A couple of things I'd have tried to do differently are waiting for eye contact and lowering the exposure so the white feather detail isn't burned out.

I like the low perspective. A couple of things I'd have tried to do differently are waiting for eye contact and lowering the exposure so the white feather detail isn't burned out.
I understand about the eye contact, but he just never turned toward me. Exposure appears fine on my screen, not sure if it’s accurate though.

I like that the camera is at the bird's level. I like to include a little more of the foreground in shots like this, to me that gives it even more of a feel of being right down on the level of the subject.
While I agree with the virtue of getting low, my personal preference would be to crop out the out-of-focus foreground. I find it distracting and needlessly invasive -- it seems to trumpet, "Look at me, the photographer. I got in really close." That may just be a personal bete noire, though -- I always want the photographer to be invisible in the shot unless s/he is the subject of the shot. It's a fourth-wall thing for me.

I see feather detail everywhere on the bird on my screen, but if it seems to bright, a little work with an adjustment brush could easily darken the bright spots a bit.

While I agree with the virtue of getting low, my personal preference would be to crop out the out-of-focus foreground. I find it distracting and needlessly invasive -- it seems to trumpet, "Look at me, the photographer. I got in really close." That may just be a personal bete noire, though -- I always want the photographer to be invisible in the shot unless s/he is the subject of the shot. It's a fourth-wall thing for me.

Interesting perspective on your point, and I'm not trying to make a pun. :) To me it's showing the environment of the bird, and has nothing to do with the photographer. It also adds a leading element that draws the eyes up from the OOF area and to the bird. But, of course, everyone sees things differently. To you it's a distraction. That's why I like hearing/reading other points of vies in this kind of forum.

The lower the better, if you can get them on somewhat level ground. Can get a different and usually better bg which will give you good separation with the bird, and of course eye level is almost always superior to shooting down at your subject. I have a very similar image................https://www.flickr.com/photos/10113436@N02/52378076173/in/dateposted/

Back