Sandhill Cranes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

We took a day trip out to North Platte, NE yesterday to find some sandhill cranes to photograph. We had a pretty good day even though it was limited to near mid-day shooting in less than ideal light, clouds increasing along with the wind. Basically a recon trip to plan for a weekend where we could spend more time and catch dawn/dusk settings as well. During the day I thought I had caught some images that were "good" but when I began processing I realized that I still tend to get lost in the moment & excitement and my technique suffers as a result. Here are a few that I deemed acceptable, but at least I can use it as motivation.

We took a day trip out to North Platte, NE yesterday to find some sandhill cranes to photograph. We had a pretty good day even though it was limited to near mid-day shooting in less than ideal light, clouds increasing along with the wind. Basically a recon trip to plan for a weekend where we could spend more time and catch dawn/dusk settings as well. During the day I thought I had caught some images that were "good" but when I began processing I realized that I still tend to get lost in the moment & excitement and my technique suffers as a result. Here are a few that I deemed acceptable, but at least I can use it as motivation.
No images............

Sandhills are not known for letting you get close! But...right place at the right time... We spent 4 hours driving and walking through Mississippi backwater areas that Sandhills are often found to no avail. Then just as we got home, at the bottom of the hill to our subdivision ....

It really shouldn't have been a surprise. This pair has been nesting next to this cornfield and backwater area for the 12 years we have lived here.

Sandhills is one of the longest living of all birds (20+ years), and are one of the oldest living bird species on the planet. When people call them flying dinosaurs they are pretty close to the truth. Cranes are the oldest living species of bird with Miocene fossil evidence dating back 10 million years.

Sandhill Crane Pair-5323.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Sandhill 2-5350.jpg

Certainly not award winning but the only shot I got with one of the adults and one of the chicks. I could never get the whole family at once with that vegetation.

cranes_baby.jpg

We spent yesterday looking for SHC's. New to me, but had some good leads on where to look. had a great time:
Z72_9845.jpg
Z72_9691.jpg
Z72_0450.jpg

Were you near Grand Island, NE?

Hi Dave. We were Just outside of Richland Washington. Sandhill Cranes are very new to me. I don't recall seeing them ever when I was young. Now it appears more are using the Pacific Flyway, at least on the east side of the Cascades. We had a great morning of shooting. There were about a dozen other photographers out there spread out along the fence line. The birds were cooperating and giving plenty of opportunity to work on ones BIF. From what I understand the birds are hunted in other parts of the nation, but they don't have those pressures here, which I am guessing led to them being more photo friendly.
Thanks for the nice compliments,
Tim

Hi Dave. We were Just outside of Richland Washington. Sandhill Cranes are very new to me. I don't recall seeing them ever when I was young. Now it appears more are using the Pacific Flyway, at least on the east side of the Cascades. We had a great morning of shooting. There were about a dozen other photographers out there spread out along the fence line. The birds were cooperating and giving plenty of opportunity to work on ones BIF. From what I understand the birds are hunted in other parts of the nation, but they don't have those pressures here, which I am guessing led to them being more photo friendly.
Thanks for the nice compliments,
Tim
Yes, it sure looks like you had plenty of high quality pixels on them. Nice shots. Some of the cranes that winter in TX and NM migrate through the central US, including KS and NE. We live near Kansas City and have been considering a run up to the Platt River in southern NE, where they generally spend time during the migration season. Last year we managed to catch a good batch out in central Kansas and photographing them was a fantastic experience.
Best,
Dave

Cool shots ... you have both greater and lesser Sandhill Cranes ... they have not been "officially" separated by the ornithological groups that do these things but they are moving that way ... notice some are smaller over all with much shorter necks.

Enschnetz
You have some really nice shots too!
Kindest regards,
Dave

Thanks, Sorry I have not followed my own post closer. I travel almost daily out to North Platte, NE. and I have been trying to plan a weekend trip to really get some time with these birds. (HOPEFULLY next week!) This day we just made a quick pass through the area, visited with one of the wife's relatives for a few minutes who zeroed us in on some flocks/fields. We were fortunate enough to have a few visitors in our own pasture in the past but we live so far west of the flyway that it is truly an anomaly. It looks like the major concentrations wind up being between roughly Sutherland, NE. and east through the river valley out towards Grand Island. MAYBE will be able to calm down & concentrate,LOL! Ductape, awesome images of yours too!

Back