SanDisk’s Name is Now Mud

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is quite misleading. I had a failed SD drive from Sandisk and simpy mailed it to them and two weeks later I received a replacement SSD. Same deal with a Lexar XQD card that had problems with my D500 camera. Life is too short to whine about problems that can be easily resolved if one exercises a little initiative.

It's about scope. These particular products are (reportedly) far outside the normal scope of expected failures (regardless of your anecdotal experience with a single failure).

And therefore, my confidence is not high trusting images to these before I format my SD cards in-camera.

Chris

My eyes are deteriorating and I was unable to read the Serial numbers even with the aid of a bright light and magnifying glass. Taking a photo and enlarging it worked well - thanks for the tip...

Both my drives are "not affected" but as a guy whose career was in risk management I am wondering why I have the same maker and model for both my main external drive and the backup. This is a wake up call for me and I will replace one of the drives with another manufacturer
There are some handy magnifier apps for iPhones and I guess android. I use Magnifying Glass++. Only costs a few $’s. Good for SN’s and searching for ticks after lying in the grass on photography outings. BTW, more companies are using QR codes that contain SN’s and take you to the registration site. Maybe camera equipment manufacturers could follow suit.

I checked my Sandisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD serial number on the Sandisk website and it is not one of the problem ones. However, I don't trust Sandisk and am looking for another manufacturer that makes 2 to 4 TB SSD portable drives with USB-C. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
I checked my Sandisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD serial number on the Sandisk website and it is not one of the problem ones. However, I don't trust Sandisk and am looking for another manufacturer that makes 2 to 4 TB SSD portable dives with USB-C. Any recommendations?
My plans precisely. So far research suggests Samsung, LaCie, Sabrent. It depends who one can believe e.g.

you might also look at the OWC Envoy Pro FX. it's a bit unique in that it's one of the few that can do TB or USB, it's fast and it's sturdy
FYI and in response to others, my experience, YMMV.

OWC really let me down with support on my Thunderbolt Dock, and the two drives I have from them run hot. I am not inclined to pay their high prices any longer.

Samsung T7's are rock solid for me but not the fastest. I have three of them. Also the regular model (non Shield) are super great for travel. Thin and small.

For at home, I am about to get the Hyper NVMe enclosure which isn't limited in speed like the OWC one I have. Also these are not as portable. I will post about the Hyper after I get it. Supposedly I will get in the range of 2800mbs on the Hyper and I get 1300 on the OWC which limits the speed the NVMe can do. The 4TB NVMe are harder to find still, and I am hoping on Black Friday I can find a good deal on one. I have 2TB Samsung 970's which again have been rock solid in my OWC enclosures. I only want a 4 because of the issues with the OWC dock and the service experience.

FYI and in response to others, my experience, YMMV.

OWC really let me down with support on my Thunderbolt Dock, and the two drives I have from them run hot. I am not inclined to pay their high prices any longer.
the problem i've found is, at least a while back, they were one of the few that provided TB solutions, and in the case of the FX drive i mentioned one of the very-very-very few that did both TB + USB.

With USB4, hopefully that won't be the case as much going forward.

Samsung T7's are rock solid for me but not the fastest. I have three of them. Also the regular model (non Shield) are super great for travel. Thin and small.
generically speaking, i tend to trust samsung ssds. they're all i run internally

For at home, I am about to get the Hyper NVMe enclosure which isn't limited in speed like the OWC one I have. Also these are not as portable. I will post about the Hyper after I get it. Supposedly I will get in the range of 2800mbs on the Hyper and I get 1300 on the OWC which limits the speed the NVMe can do. The 4TB NVMe are harder to find still, and I am hoping on Black Friday I can find a good deal on one. I have 2TB Samsung 970's which again have been rock solid in my OWC enclosures. I only want a 4 because of the issues with the OWC dock and the service experience.
is this a USB4 enclosure, or... ?

the problem i've found is, at least a while back, they were one of the few that provided TB solutions, and in the case of the FX drive i mentioned one of the very-very-very few that did both TB + USB.

With USB4, hopefully that won't be the case as much going forward.

generically speaking, i tend to trust samsung ssds. they're all i run internally

is this a USB4 enclosure, or... ?
Yes USB4

I checked my Sandisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD serial number on the Sandisk website and it is not one of the problem ones. However, I don't trust Sandisk and am looking for another manufacturer that makes 2 to 4 TB SSD portable drives with USB-C. Any recommendations?

Crucial X10 - 4TB $260
Small fast and reliable (so far)

Back