Second Camera Body

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am a Z8 shooter with the Z glass- 600mm PF, 100-400 and 24-120 . I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful kit. Given my use case I have decided I want (not need) a second body. A second Z8 set up identical makes eminent sense however as a wild life enthusiast my gear can take a bit of a beating. I am careful enough but as you know stuff happens in the field. So my question is from a durability /toughness perspective, is the Z9 that much tougher to justify paying the extra $ vs the Z8.

The toughness/durability is the only distinguishing factor for my use case/decision model. I do not need any of the features (or the weight) of the Z9 otherwise.

I have both. I try not to be rough on gear so haven’t put either through the test to see how tough they are but they both seem to be be solid. I personally wouldn’t worry about the build of the Z8 in my decision. The main difference I’d consider in build is the Z9 manages heat better for video. If you’re not interested in anything the Z9 offers over the Z8, to me a second Z8 makes more sense. Same battery and charger is convenient as is identical button layout and firmware.

I am a Z8 shooter with the Z glass- 600mm PF, 100-400 and 24-120 . I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful kit. Given my use case I have decided I want (not need) a second body. A second Z8 set up identical makes eminent sense however as a wild life enthusiast my gear can take a bit of a beating. I am careful enough but as you know stuff happens in the field. So my question is from a durability /toughness perspective, is the Z9 that much tougher to justify paying the extra $ vs the Z8.

The toughness/durability is the only distinguishing factor for my use case/decision model. I do not need any of the features (or the weight) of the Z9 otherwise.
You and I have the same gear and I simply got a second Z8 and that worked great. The cameras are very rugged. I was recently shooting with both cameras in Alaska in freezing temps and snow and no camera covers. Both cameras are still going strong. I changed the file number to reflect each camera just in case something went wrong so that I can tell which camera the file came from. I did start out with a Z9 but it was too heavy and bulky. The only downside to the Z8 is the poor battery life but I have many batteries and always carry a couple in a pocket.

Last edited:

If you don’t need what the Z9 offers in excess of the Z8, it’d be unwise to buy a Z9. As I’m sure you know, the Z8 is well built and will serve you well for many years.

I also suggest a second Z8, as a synchronized pair. The Z9 is the heavier, bulkier flagship ILC, with its different battery and distinct differences in haptics compared to the more compact Z8... example is the 3 versus 2 front Fn buttons, vertical grip etc.

They're several BCG threads comparing the Z8 and Z9 exhaustively :

Last edited:
More mass doesn't mean more rugged. It means more energy that must be absorbed by the camera in the event of a fall.
yes, i think much is made of the additional ruggedness of the z9, but it's very unclear exactly how much more rugged it really is. iirc, on the z8, the metal frame is only on the front, where on the z9 it more than just the front, but who knows how much (or if) that really translates to increased ruggedness. it does of course add additional heatsinking for better thermal handling.

In your case I would go with with a second z8.

It is wise to have identical bodies when shooting tandem less distraction when shooting. Plus you standardize on batteries and cards.

I prefer z9 for many reasons. I went with z9 for my second body. You may want to do something to easily distinguish the bodies from each other. I keep an L bracket on one body for tripod use with a ball head.

There are several things the z9 does better including longer battery life dual grip better heat shielding more control buttons dual cf cards and better balance with longer lenses. Offset all that against 1 lb more in weight and higher price.

Both are great cameras.

I have not seen a report on ruggedness testing comparison and I have no basis to conclude the z8 is any less rugged than the z9 other than with heat shielding.

The fact is the Z9 was built first as a full on Nikon professional dual grip camera. The Z8 came out later and compromises were made to save weight. The compromises meant there was no dual grip, no room for the larger batteries, no room for dual cf cards and not enough room for full heat shielding.

So my question is from a durability /toughness perspective, is the Z9 that much tougher to justify paying the extra $ vs the Z8.

You received many replies, most not addressing your actual question.

I have each of these cameras, and consider the Z8 plenty durable and tough - and likely the better value as it's plenty less costly. . I usually use the Z8 with a180-600 for wildlife, and wide lens for night photos.

My Z8 complaints are very poor battery life, mine will show 2 bars and 55 photos later one red bar. I expose NEF to CF and JPG to SD card on all my photos, the SD just makes me frown. Still, you like the 8 and may consider another.

Personally, unless you need two lenses active at the same time or hate swapping lenses in the field, I'd just roll the dice with the one body and spend the money on something else. Unless you are a pro on a paying job, or are on that trip of a lifetime, then maybe rent a backup.

Were I you, I'd get a second identical body and probably set it up exactly the same way. Personally I have three identical bodies, two with the same buttons and dials set to the same custom settings. The third body is used only for macro and it's custom setting are different. Makes things a lot simpler for my aging memory and slow reflexes.

Thanks for everyone's comments and general support which confirms my thinking is that too identical bodies/setups is hard to beat. As an aside ruggedness tests are not likely done by many intentionally but yesterday by accident my Z8 and 600mmPF took a hard drop from about 4 feet high and skidded along my drive way. After my heart started beating again I picked it up and the lens hood is scratch pretty bad, a small scratch on the hot shoe and after it was cleaned up I can find no other scratches dents or visible damage. I tested it throughly last night and I can find no functional issue at all. Please do not try this at home but hopefully it gives some comfort for others on the ruggedness.

Thanks for everyone's comments and general support which confirms my thinking is that too identical bodies/setups is hard to beat. As an aside ruggedness tests are not likely done by many intentionally but yesterday by accident my Z8 and 600mmPF took a hard drop from about 4 feet high and skidded along my drive way. After my heart started beating again I picked it up and the lens hood is scratch pretty bad, a small scratch on the hot shoe and after it was cleaned up I can find no other scratches dents or visible damage. I tested it throughly last night and I can find no functional issue at all. Please do not try this at home but hopefully it gives some comfort for others on the ruggedness.
On the hard drop...that happened to me in Costa Rica when my dSRL rolled off a table with a long lens attached (a lizard jumped my way and I panicked and hit the small table). I picked the camera up, checked it out and it seemed good to go. It was only a month or so later when I took a trip and the focus seemed off that I realized it was not good to go. I sent it in to Nikon and they repaired both camera and lens, luckily I carry insurance. I recommend you send it in for a cautionary look to ensure nothing was damaged.

Last edited:
I got the Z9 first, and then the Z8 when it became available. If I had to do it now, I would personally get two Z8s. Even though battery life is longer with the Z9, for the weight difference it is easy to carry extra Z8 batteries. And one CF express card in the Z8 hasn't been a problem as opposed to two in the Z9. Card capacity is no longer a concern and (luckily) I have never had a card failure. And as others have mentioned, it would be nice to have one muscle memory for both camera bodies, though that is not much of a problem with the Z8/Z9 combo. If you shoot a lot of video heat dissipation could be a consideration but that hasn't ever been a problem for me.

I am shooting a Z 9 now with 600 f/5.3 for my long lens. But all of my long glass are F-mounts (200-400 f/4 and 500 f/4) so my backup or second body is a D850. Using 850 eliminates the need to mount an F to Z converter.

I have had many high-end Nikon though the years. My Z7ii is used professionally, and has been around the USA (9000 miles) on the back of a motorcycle, in the deserts of the Middle East, on the oceans in sail boats. My Z9 is used mainly for events and is treated brutally by door frames and taxi drivers. My Z8 is only a year old but gets no mercy.

If you think I'm just lucky, look at Morton Hilmer's YouTube videos of wildlife adventures above the Arctic Circle.

The only person I know who has a little trouble with survival rates of Nikons is David Yarrow...His get trampled when shoots closeups of elephant's.

I think you'll be fine with the Z8.

I have two Z9's. One has the 600PF attached and the other the 100-400. I carry both on a dual Black Rapid strap and can switch pretty fast between the two. There is a lot to be said about muscle memory and locating the correct dials and switches when called upon. I think I have had most Nikon bodies starting with the N8008 back in the film days in the 80's. I say this because no 2 different bodies have had the same layout. If you decide to get a second body which I recommend you do, make sure they are the same and set up the same especially if you use them together.

I have two Z9's. One has the 600PF attached and the other the 100-400. I carry both on a dual Black Rapid strap and can switch pretty fast between the two. There is a lot to be said about muscle memory and locating the correct dials and switches when called upon. I think I have had most Nikon bodies starting with the N8008 back in the film days in the 80's. I say this because no 2 different bodies have had the same layout. If you decide to get a second body which I recommend you do, make sure they are the same and set up the same especially if you use them together.
I also shoot with dual Z9’s but I use either of the following pairs:

800nmm and 400mm f45 for longer reach subjects; or
70-200mm f2.8 and 400mm f4.5 on locations where shorter reach is needed.

I use two opposite site Blacrapid single straps. I find the dual strap becomes unbalanced when you lift one side to shoot. Having separate opposite side straps is more comfortable to use. I also have a backpack that has custom straps with a QD connector on either side. This allows me to carry both lenses/cameras ready to shoot with all the weight transferred to my hips instead of on teh shoulders. These straps make it much easier to carry heavier cameras and lenses.

I used to shoot with d 800 series cameras. I found the weight of the 800 cameras to be uncomfortable when using a standard neck strap even with less heavy lenses. To me the Z8 is roughly equivalent to the 800 series in size and weight. I found the black rapid straps make carrying heavier cameras and lenses a reasonable choice. I personally did not find the extra weight of the Z9 of about 1 lb to be a problem. I am an older big guy who is poorly tolerant of upper neck/back strain. Either the blackrapid straps or the backpack with QD straps make carrying Z9’’s with heavy lenses tolerable for a day long photo shoot that also requires hiking.

Get another Z8 and buy a silicone membrane wrap around skin from B and H, i use them often on most of my cameras.

Only an opinion

1714270898177.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
if your z8 is good enough now, it’ll be twice as good with a backup
Buy another Z8. Other than an extra button there's no advantage of the Z9 over the Z8 in respect of IQ and quality. Also, the Z8 is smaller and easier to handle - my wife went to Z8 from Z9 because the Z9 was just too big for her hands and she couldn't reach all the buttons easily.

More importantly, having matching bodies is more efficient and less frustrating. I had a Z7 - Z9 combo for a while got another Z9 pretty quickly.

Hands down PERSONALLY i would go the Z9 every time over any other Z product,

and here is why

If
weight and size is not an issue and you don't feel another Z8 is exciting you, just spend the little extra money and get a Z9 for the experience if nothing else, you deserve it anyway. RENT a Z9 FOR A DAY................its likely you wont give it back LOL and if you buy one the rental cost comes of the purchase price in cases.

The advantage of the Z9 over the Z8

The Z9 by comparison is just a beautiful feeling camera and has clearly a lot to offer over a Z8 and yes especially durability if that's on your list.

If you look at the inner workings of the Z9 compared to the same workings of the Z8, the Z9 is encased in a significantly larger robust carcass also acting as a major size heat sink, again compared to the conventional consumer vulnerable sized body of the Z8 that while having excellent video performance, logically it has video limitations compared to the Z9.

I love the size and weight of the Z9 for balance comfort and stability hand holding again other than weight and size for travel or hiking.

The built in grip that is so superior to the add on version for the Z8, also the Z9 its such a joy to use, again the feel and fit in the hand, size weight ergonomics, you wont want to go back and use anything else, it has the extra assignable button, far longer video recording capacity with no overheating limitations, and above all it has a much longer lasting battery, and the same two CF slots.

So yes in the real-world its a better camera user experience, most owners i know who have a Z8 and Z9 combo seem to relegate the Z8 as a back up and travel tool making first choice use the Z9.

If you can wait a) the new Z9 II isn't far way b) there may be some newer options Z6 III Z7III
however with the recent price increase of the Z8 Z9 it will make the Newer Z9 no doubt the Z6III Z7III etc more expensive.

It also depends on what you do need or really want, for myself in your position i would rather focus on critical high use need glass than another body, unless your happy with what glass you have.

Again for me in the Z range its the Z9 100% over any other Z product, if weight and size is not an issue,

that said after 2 plus years i sold my Z9 (out of warranty) recently to
a) preserve equity while i could.
b) i picked up a new bargain Z8 with full 2 years warranty, before the price rise.

WHY .............only because what i do has recently changed where weight and size was becoming a major factor, which is also why the Z8 was i feel really created,
also i don't do video, i now go more on really long adventure hikes as well as travel much more, also i now do more street nature and public environmental photography, the Z8 fits that tool need in spades.

However I am waiting to see what the Z7 III brings in terms of speed resolution and ZF features, if those tools suite more of what i do with tangible advantages i will sell the Z8.

I also have transitioned from owning a lot of expensive gear to simply much more renting - borrowing as i don't have a lot of high demand need - use for one specific tool or dedicated application any more like wild life sports action etc, now do a little more of everything more often.
When i need to do wild life or surfing or sports action i often rent a Z9 or mostly a D6 usually with a 600 F4 FL or what ever else i need, so nice to hand it back.

If i had a expensive exotic mirror less 600 F4 TC with a Z9 on the shelf it would need to get dusted off in between uses.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Back