Sell my D500 after purchasing a Z8?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I love my D500 but I’m considering selling most of my F mount lenses AND my D500 to pay for the Z8 - and stay out of divorce court 😂😂! I can afford both really , but does it make sense to keep both ? I shoot wildlife, birds, landscape and some astro.

It only makes sense to keep both if there are some F mount lenses you feel you need that you will not be able to immediately replace with Z mount lenses. (Though some people use their F mount lenses on Z bodies with the adaptor). Otherwise I think it's sensible to go all in on Z8.

I love my D500 but I’m considering selling most of my F mount lenses AND my D500 to pay for the Z8 - and stay out of divorce court 😂😂! I can afford both really , but does it make sense to keep both ? I shoot wildlife, birds, landscape and some astro.
It might be worth holding onto your D500 until you’ve tried the Z8. You should like the Z8, but you’re in for a lot changes going mirrorless and adjusting to the different AF. You’ll also be using an EVF, which I think is very DSLR-like, but another change nonetheless.

It might be worth holding onto your D500 until you’ve tried the Z8. You should like the Z8, but you’re in for a lot changes going mirrorless and adjusting to the different AF. You’ll also be using an EVF, which I think is very DSLR-like, but another change nonetheless.
Hi. Good advice. I should have the Z8 for a week or 2 before I consider selling the D500

I just ordered the Z8 and have a D500 and a D4. I'm pretty sure I'll sell the D4 but I'll be holding on to the D500 for when I go on trips. It'll be a while until I can buy a second mirrorless (although there might be a few good buys on the Z9 soon :ROFLMAO:) and it's good to have two bodies on safary. Also, since it's a crop sensor, I don't have to switch back and forth on the Z8.

Unless you shoot with two bodies at a time I think what you'll find is that once you go mirrorless the D500 will collect dust. I long thought that the D850 would be the last camera that I would ever own. But as soon as I started using the Z9 the 850 never came back off the shelf. But we are all different. It's probably wise to hold on to the D500 for a while and see how things go. But I suspect as soon as the Z8 hits the street used prices for D500/850 will plummet. More so the 850.

It only makes sense if there are some F mount lenses you feel you need that you will not be able to immediately replace with Z mount lenses. (Though some people use their F mount lenses on Z bodies with the adaptor). Otherwise I think it's sensible to go all in on Z8.
Hi. Good advice. I should have the Z8 for a week or 2 before I consider selling the D500
As a follow up thought, you could also try getting hold of a Z9 for a few hours while you’re waiting for the Z8.

...You’ll also be using an EVF, which I think is very DSLR-like, but another change nonetheless.
Yes EVF is an adjustment but I think Nikon may be the best of the bunch? I use D850 (traditional viewfinder) most of the time but have one mirrorless EVF (Sony A74) and have tried a Sony A7r5 and Canon R5 and Nikon Z7ii. Canon was by far the worst, Sony A74 next best, A7r5 slightly better, but the Nikon Z7ii was easily the brightest and crispest and most DSLR like. Reportedly the Z8 and Z9 are even better.

(I am getting used to the Sony and may go all in with them for the lens choices, but for body size and viewfinder Z8 would be my top choice for mirrorless).

Once you get used to the EVF vice optical viewfinder and the differences…not better or worse, just different…in how the Zs work vs the DSLRs work…and see all the better features in the Zs that have nothing to do with no mirror but everything to do with newer/better/faster technology…the DSLR won’t get used. When I got my original Z7II…I thought I would still carry the D7500 on outings for a no lens change needed situation…that lasted exactly one outing…because the way the two systems work and the AF modes nd capabilities ar so different that my feeble brain needed a reboot if I switched to the other camera…nothing was where I thought it was any more.

Last edited:
Back