Selling equipment question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtT

Marketplace
I really don't want to do private sale of my D850 and f mount lenses so I am considering KEH and B&H for selling. What are people's experiences ie downgrade of lenses cameras etc. All equip is no dent/ no wear/ scratch free and fully functional, the D850 manuals/box are in unused condition, just like my college textbooks ;). Which have you used? Not a bashing request just who you felt was fair with you. or wasn't.
Thanks

In my experience, MPB has provided the highest quotes for buying/trading equipment. I have sold several thousand dollars worth of gear to them over the last few years, with absolutely no issues whatsoever (I've also purchased used equipment from them as well with no complaints).

I highly recommend them....fast quotes and easy to deal with.

I’ve used MPB, KEH and B&H and all have been a pleasure to work with and I haven’t had any bad experiences with unexpected down grades.
Thanks Dave
Used all three, like them all, MPB best if I was forced to pick.
Thanks Nimi
In my experience, MPB has provided the highest quotes for buying/trading equipment. I have sold several thousand dollars worth of gear to them over the last few years, with absolutely no issues whatsoever (I've also purchased used equipment from them as well with no complaints).

I highly recommend them....fast quotes and easy to deal with.
Thanks Wade

I am not aware of MPH, I'll check out.Thank you all

I've had good experiences with KEH. I used KEH to sell my D500 at an in-person event they held locally, along with some other DX lenses and assorted gear. Super easy and I walked out the door right away with cash (well... I walked away from the table with cash, then promptly gave it right back to the local store to buy my Z9, lol)

I've never sold gear to B&H, but I sold my 200-500mm to MBP via an online quote and shipping it to them and it went well. They offered the best quote out of all the places I checked (KEH, MPB, B&H, Adorama) and the process was super easy. I've also used them to buy gear (including my 600f4) and had very good experiences there, too.

I'd be comfortable using either again.

I've had good experiences with KEH. I used KEH to sell my D500 at an in-person event they held locally, along with some other DX lenses and assorted gear. Super easy and I walked out the door right away with cash (well... I walked away from the table with cash, then promptly gave it right back to the local store to buy my Z9, lol)

I've never sold gear to B&H, but I sold my 200-500mm to MBP via an online quote and shipping it to them and it went well. They offered the best quote out of all the places I checked (KEH, MPB, B&H, Adorama) and the process was super easy. I've also used them to buy gear (including my 600f4) and had very good experiences there, too.

I'd be comfortable using either again.
Thanks. If I use B&H they can trade new gear no sales tax per their site. KEH has better quote if they like the gear, never know

Bought from KEH and MPB, no issues, items at least as good as I expected, frequently better. Sold only to KEH, in person and on line. Did have a couple of down-grades after inspection (on-line sale) but have had a couple of up-grades also. Years ago had no real issues selling via "photo.net", Luminous Landscape, even eBay but likely will not do private sales again (although possibly might through this forum's Marketplace). Nice to hear MPB is easy to sell to as they have had a higher quote for one lens I am considering selling but I have not used them yet.

Most will let you see the value before you agree to send. Used photo pro and KEH I’ve had experience with as a customer and always been happy.

I’ve never sold any of them anything as the hit to the wallet is rather steep. If you’re willing to try I’d list on Facebook Market Place as local PU only and price just above what the online resellers are offering you. You’re likely sell fast and make a few hundred more bucks.

I recently sold a lens for $400 more than KEH and MPB showed they would pay me and I sold it in 30
minutes and cash picked up that day. It was easier than packing everything and hoping they agree with my grading of the gear.

Bought from KEH and MPB, no issues, items at least as good as I expected, frequently better. Sold only to KEH, in person and on line. Did have a couple of down-grades after inspection (on-line sale) but have had a couple of up-grades also. Years ago had no real issues selling via "photo.net", Luminous Landscape, even eBay but likely will not do private sales again (although possibly might through this forum's Marketplace). Nice to hear MPB is easy to sell to as they have had a higher quote for one lens I am considering selling but I have not used them yet.
Most will let you see the value before you agree to send. Used photo pro and KEH I’ve had experience with as a customer and always been happy.

I’ve never sold any of them anything as the hit to the wallet is rather steep. If you’re willing to try I’d list on Facebook Market Place as local PU only and price just above what the online resellers are offering you. You’re likely sell fast and make a few hundred more bucks.

I recently sold a lens for $400 more than KEH and MPB showed they would pay me and I sold it in 30
minutes and cash picked up that day. It was easier than packing everything and hoping they agree with my grading of the gear.
Thanks for input. The downgrade part not sure about, D850 and 24-70 2.8 are like new no scratches or anything, look like I brought home from camera store in boxes which I did 2 yrs ago. 105 micro 18mm 2.8 and 80-400 older VR version, no boxes but everything else so not sure they will downgrade on those but nick dent and scratch free, even the old 18mm AF 2.8. Got quotes and I know I am foregoing around 60-70percent like a car!! Changing to Z is tough but just can't see keeping the mixed body styles.

I've said it before and will say it again: MPB and KEH will lowball you unjustifiably on particular items if you send in several, apparently in hopes that you will shrug and allow the overall sale to go through. This has happened to me with both companies. The truth is that if you sell to a retailer like these companies you will, as they say, "take a bath" for the sake of getting rid of equipment that is lying around unused. If you want to get a reasonable return you have to sell the items yourself, whether through ebay, FredMiranda, or here in this forum (or via some local outlet like Craigslist). There are headaches involved in selling gear this way and it's a lot more work, but you get a much better return.

I've said it before and will say it again: MPB and KEH will lowball you unjustifiably on particular items if you send in several, apparently in hopes that you will shrug and allow the overall sale to go through. This has happened to me with both companies. The truth is that if you sell to a retailer like these companies you will, as they say, "take a bath" for the sake of getting rid of equipment that is lying around unused. If you want to get a reasonable return you have to sell the items yourself, whether through ebay, FredMiranda, or here in this forum (or via some local outlet like Craigslist). There are headaches involved in selling gear this way and it's a lot more work, but you get a much better return.
I hear you, you pay for the convenience! Still deciding.

It all boils down to how much your time is worth….

Personally, I have a full time job, a one-hour commute to work each way, and two young children at home. So what little amount of free time I do have is extremely valuable to me. I don’t want to spend it piece-mealing my gear and haggling with the general public to make a couple hundred extra bucks when I could simply sell it to a buyer like MPB, and spend that time with my kids.

If you are retired, or simply have more flexibility with your schedule, then private sales may be the way to go.

It all boils down to how much your time is worth….

Personally, I have a full time job, a one-hour commute to work each way, and two young children at home. So what little amount of free time I do have is extremely valuable to me. I don’t want to spend it piece-mealing my gear and haggling with the general public to make a couple hundred extra bucks when I could simply sell it to a buyer like MPB, and spend that time with my kids.

If you are retired, or simply have more flexibility with your schedule, then private sales may be the way to go.
Agree, currently my time is worthless, retired! Funny though, sometimes it feels like I have less time now that I am retired than when I was working, not sure what happened there!:ROFLMAO:

While I have had good luck with both you need to do a pre quote to check which is better. I sold two camera bodies one a D810 one a D500. Both were in great condition but the D500 had over 50,000 activations. Because of this MPB put it in the bottom category. They check activations. KEH just looked at condition and gave me an additional $300.00 over MPB. MPB did send the camera back after they downward adjusted the price. For my big glass B & H was much better. I do think they are all very good but you need to know how they rank the gear. Good luck. I still have my D850 but I think I am keeping it as I can't justify the big hit. I am using it as my backup for now.

Coincidentally I just sold my Nikon D850's and F mount lenses to KEH. You can enter what you have easily in their system for an online quote. It seems in the past when they received my gear they said it was a grade lower than what I thought and offered a lower quote. This time, however, their final assessment matched the quote (within a few bucks). I agree with you it's easier to do this than to try to sell it yourself, unless you are an experienced Ebay seller (which I am not). When I sold all my Canon gear several years ago I used a local Ebay reseller but by the time I paid her commission I probably would have gotten just as much (and faster) if I had sold straight to KEH.

I recently sold my 200-500 F Mount lens, a D7200 and several kit lenses to MBP. They were quick and easy to work with and only "downgraded" one piece by $35. I'm now finally cutting the umbilical cord on my D500, D850, 300 PF, and 500 PF. Was an extremely difficult decision, and will likely use MBP again just for convenience.

We don’t have too many options like KEH etc in Australia. There is Fleabay, Gumtree, Facebook market place and not a lot else.
There are places that will do trade ins but at the prices some offer, I’d rather give the stuff away.

The KEH system is pretty sophisticated with the quote based on current inventory and recent sales price and volume. For recent gear the price they give is pretty good. If there are cosmetic issues, it can bring down the grade significantly. Just keep in mind there is room to push them for a higher price than their offer because you can always go elsewhere.

Used Photo Pro and MBP are both quite competitive. Both are a bit smaller and have slightly different business models. B&H, Adorama, and Hunt's all buy used gear. With any of these companies, they often provide a better price in the form of credit on future purchases or as a trade-in.

None of theses companies provide much on accessories. Extra batteries need to be a recent model and read "new" in a camera to have value. Filters are significantly discounted or ignored. Camera bags are largely ignored. Even expensive items such as wireless triggers or studio gear has remarkably little value. Old lenses have very little value - even really good old lenses. I'd just keep those items since they work well with the FTZ on mirrorless cameras.

If you can cherry pick the newest or best items, you might get more selling those items individually and they are worth the effort. You can post them here, on Nikonians, and similar places. If you split the difference between KEH buying and selling prices you have a pretty good idea of what you can get.

While I have had good luck with both you need to do a pre quote to check which is better. I sold two camera bodies one a D810 one a D500. Both were in great condition but the D500 had over 50,000 activations. Because of this MPB put it in the bottom category. They check activations. KEH just looked at condition and gave me an additional $300.00 over MPB. MPB did send the camera back after they downward adjusted the price. For my big glass B & H was much better. I do think they are all very good but you need to know how they rank the gear. Good luck. I still have my D850 but I think I am keeping it as I can't justify the big hit. I am using it as my backup for now.
I recently sold my 200-500 F Mount lens, a D7200 and several kit lenses to MBP. They were quick and easy to work with and only "downgraded" one piece by $35. I'm now finally cutting the umbilical cord on my D500, D850, 300 PF, and 500 PF. Was an extremely difficult decision, and will likely use MBP again just for convenience.
We don’t have too many options like KEH etc in Australia. There is Fleabay, Gumtree, Facebook market place and not a lot else.
There are places that will do trade ins but at the prices some offer, I’d rather give the stuff away.
The KEH system is pretty sophisticated with the quote based on current inventory and recent sales price and volume. For recent gear the price they give is pretty good. If there are cosmetic issues, it can bring down the grade significantly. Just keep in mind there is room to push them for a higher price than their offer because you can always go elsewhere.

Used Photo Pro and MBP are both quite competitive. Both are a bit smaller and have slightly different business models. B&H, Adorama, and Hunt's all buy used gear. With any of these companies, they often provide a better price in the form of credit on future purchases or as a trade-in.

None of theses companies provide much on accessories. Extra batteries need to be a recent model and read "new" in a camera to have value. Filters are significantly discounted or ignored. Camera bags are largely ignored. Even expensive items such as wireless triggers or studio gear has remarkably little value. Old lenses have very little value - even really good old lenses. I'd just keep those items since they work well with the FTZ on mirrorless cameras.

If you can cherry pick the newest or best items, you might get more selling those items individually and they are worth the effort. You can post them here, on Nikonians, and similar places. If you split the difference between KEH buying and selling prices you have a pretty good idea of what you can get.
Thank you all for input. I have gotten quotes from all and yes about $300 difference with all, best is KEH for body and the 24-70/2.8but at B&H can trade for new Z equipment so may go that way unless they downgrade then may try somewhere else. Really like to keep but I feel will sit in closet and won't feel like packing around extra combo unless it was lightwt which we all know D850 is not. I do have 49500 on shutter, B&H said that's what they would expect and camera still has alot of life in it.

Last edited:
Back