Senser cleaning - Z 9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The very simplified explanation is that a camera lens is a complex assembly of carefully shaped glass which behaves as a single converging lens. That means it focuses light rays to converge at a specific point called the focal point. In order to have a “sharp” image on the camera’s sensor (one in which the virtual image of a scene is captured with edge contrast similar to that of the actual scene) the focal point must be in front of the sensor.

Because of the nature of light passing through a lens (see the graphic below) the virtual image is inverted top to bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_8277.jpeg
    IMG_8277.jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
How does their high resolution help to see through reflective waves? If I fly a drone 100 feet above the water with a GFX100, can it capture images deeper from a 45mp sensor, for example?
That's where the stack sensor comes in play. Acts as a polarizer because of how the receptors are arranged. The high resolution allowed them to see the small fish.

My concern about cleaning the senser isn't running the menus Nikon has built in. I do have dark spots on pictures after doing so. I guess that means my next step is the gel stick? that's where I'd like to see a video from @Steve.

I'm not even sure I've ever used the in-camera cleaning function on my Z8s or Z9s. I have the sheild deployed automatically when the camera is off, and I try to really limit my outdoor lens changes by carrying multiple cameras. My forte is mostly action sports, so I'm not in the lake chasing birds. Once a year, I send my bodies to Nikon for a cleaning. Works well for me but YMMV. Best of luck.

My sensors, forever, all brands, have been dirt magnets. Easy enough to remove on stills, a pain on video. I drop by my local store with all my cameras every few weeks and they swab it for me. Free, I just leave some cigars behind. I'm a klutz, the couple of times I try to swab them I left streaks. I do take all measure, I rocket blow regularly, etc.

I'm not even sure I've ever used the in-camera cleaning function on my Z8s or Z9s. I have the sheild deployed automatically when the camera is off, and I try to really limit my outdoor lens changes by carrying multiple cameras. My forte is mostly action sports, so I'm not in the lake chasing birds. Once a year, I send my bodies to Nikon for a cleaning. Works well for me but YMMV. Best of luck.
Ironically as Idaho only certified camera tech told me outdoor changes are less likely to get stuff on the sensor that can not be simply blown off with a rocket blower if needed. As he said the culprit is that a lot of the stuff floating around in a house or even a car have been contaminated with fine particulate oils, cooking, petroleum etc.. and that is the stuff that gets on sensors and need physical removal.

I do send mine in for their NPS checkup once a year ... ironicially when I sent my newest Z9 in a few weeks before the warranty expired I alerted them to an odd occurence and it turned out to be significan and they replaced the mother board, outer shell, on off swithch and more. However when I got the camera back there was a large sensor spot ... more like a fibre. I suspect in the repair that it snuck onto the sensor and that the sensor had been cleaned and checked before that or it got missed. Nikon paid to have it shipped back and they had it back to fast ... about 5 days total time with shipping. The sensor is now clean :)

Back