Shooting Banks setup for Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

One guideline is the Photo bank controls the core exposure settings and image specifications, including White balance etc....
while the Custom bank can be set up to fine tune how one captures images, AF controls, metering, fps etc

If I may - I would like to clarify something. The 2 “banks” serve different purposes. This is taken from Nikon:
The “Photo shooting menu bank” is found in the “Photo Shooting Menu” (the little camera icon). You can assign up to four of these (A,B,C,D) to have unique settings in each. You can also name these banks to be something meaningful: “Sports”, “Landscape”, “Manual”, and “Live View”. Here’s where you save your unique setups that you configure for things like Auto-ISO, default ISO, Manual shooting mode, picture controls, shutter speed, aperture setting, etc.

The “Custom settings bank” is found in the “Custom Setting Menu” (the pencil icon). What you save here are button assignments. You also get four of these (also named A,B,C,D).

This creates confusion. Fortunately, you can give these banks names, too!

Last edited:
I suspect that answer is no, but thought I would check Is there some way to expand the number of banks?

I have them set up

A Walk Around (anything goes)
B Portrait
C Action
D Blurs

Would llke to add (1) HDR and (2) focus stacking

I could use Walk around for these.

Also it would be nice, perhaps I missed how to do this, to set a default set of values for each A (that I could reset whenever I need to ).

Thoughts Suggestions?

does anyone know a way to set the frame rate for the shooting banks for a z9. it seems that you can set them but they only apply with respect to where the mode dial is at the time. I have bank A as walk around mode,5fps. bank B is fast action 20fps and bank C as macro, single shot. but in order to get those I still have to move the dial from single shot to low to high. surely this makes no sense if you quickly need to get to the fast action shooting mode when your in single shot or low frame rates.

The only method I've found from across my own testing besides forums and googling is RSF.
Hypothetically, 4 different fps can be setup in each Custom bank on a Z9 in the respective RSF. I have an "Action RSF" assigned to Fn3 in my primary Custom bank A: 20 fps, 1/2000, Centre-weighted Metering. This can be hit very quickly in vertical as well

A slower method is indeed to press the button top-camera left for FPS and scroll the control wheel

Last edited:
Already posted in Z9 thread, but will post again here... Good video about Shooting banks on Z9 from Hudson Henry

Approaching the Scene 190: How To Use Nikon’s Z9 Banks & Save Settings

I have never setup banks on my D500, and would really like to setup those on my Z9 when it arrives. Is there a good video or other material that would explain setup and operation of shooting banks? The Z9 manual is a little lacking in detail of how to setup and use.
Hey Jcgamble,

You will be delighted with the instant info button in the Z9. I did not read all the replies on this forum - so I hope I don't contradict or repeat something someone wiser and more experienced than I has stated. If so - great learning opportunity for me and please let me know.

I actually am using both these banks. Wishing they had different names so the reference to these banks would be more logical. I shoot different genres, from equestrian sports to head shots with a flash. So I set the custom bank for those "exposure triangle settings" and name them. Then the other bank is for my buttons - I don't use back button focus for headshots (for example). I use a few different function buttons in sports than I do for headshots. For example function button 1 is to change the crop - when shooting sports. Function button 1 when shooting head shots is for changing something else like flash functions. I don't have my camera in front of me so I don't remember. I found I have to choose both when changing back and forth. Can't do 1 without the other for the way I have them set and for my purposes. Also I can't comprehend it.

And that is the big issue - remembering all those settings. I got too carried away on my D850 and got myself in quite a quandary. Keep it simple for yourself. There is a great video by Pangolin Safari on the custom settings and menu banks. I believe it is w/ the D850 or another D but the concept is this same. In my opinion learn this Z9 first - don't make changes to this beast until you really understand why or what you are changing. Enjoy!!

a couple more bookmarked threads fyi

Back