Shooting Video with a Nikon D7100 (18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens @ 55mm)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My subject is a Peregrine Falcon, approximately "Crow sized," but much swifter in normal flight. Could I expect to capture this bird in flight at 400 ft. (+/-) shooting 1920x1080/30p?
My limited experience to date would suggest not.
I detect "something" that I think may be my subject in the resulting video, but when I capture individual frames using an editor there is nothing to see.
Is the capture resolution simply not capable of resolving this level of detail?
This is pretty much my first foray into video with a DSLR.
Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Birds in flight are usually shot with a minimum of 300mm and more likely 400-600mm. Even with those lenses 400' is pretty far away. You need a longer lens and to get closer.

I had a second camera with a 300mm lens (I have longer lenses) trained on a smaller area, but was using the 55mm lens as more of a "Game camera" in an effort to capture a fleeting glimpse of the adult Peregrine passing through its field of view.

I am in a tight canyon with no opportunity to see these Peregrines approaching and they are very stealth at best around the eyrie ("nest").

Back