Shooting wedding: Nikkor 400/2.8 vs. Sigma 120-300/2.8 (old model)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've never heard something like this, Gavin. And I am in diffrent forums and in all FB-groups on KTP. I have also friends in southern Africa, between them are also Botswana guides. And I've never heard about the meat. Can you drop me the link?
The lions come for water, for shade and just because it is their territory. They love to lie in the shade of A-frame and under the trees and bushes in camping sites. One can be eaten very soon if trying to attract wild animals with meat. It is no-go. Everybody knows it. There is a discussion about the water left after showering but I've never heard about the meat.
Hi Elana,
This was some feedback that I received from a fellow traveller that I met at Rooiputs who had visited Mabua when I was in KTP in August last year.
This could have been a once off incident . I have now looked at the 4x4community.co.za forum Botswana/Mabua link and found many reports on water and Lion activity in and around the campsites but NO mention of the meat incident ,as you have reported on. So I retract my earlier comment related to meat being used as bait to attract the lions!
Regards
Gavin

thanks @ElenaH for sharing these beautiful images and experience depicted in the video.
Must be quite an adrenalin rush to be so close to raw wilderness!
Safari is the only thing left on my "bucket list".. due to COVID I had to push back this dream..

but NO mention of the meat incident
yes, Gavin, it would be a people's suiside. The visitors are not first-time campers. Normally they know how to behave. But there must be some kine of neglect, they can left unintentionally some bones on the rost or some peice can drop down. Animals smell the brai and come to check. There are some bad incidents with hyenas and leopards by the way.
I know only one incident involved the bait, which happened about 20 or more years ago in Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana. A teenager wanted to photograph a hyena and put some chicken pieces to get the animal to the tent where he was waiting with the camera. Hyena did everything what was expected from her/him and picked chicken piece by piece until she/he came to the tent.... The problem was that the teenager fall asleep....
Animals are opportunists. There were some incidents when people were attacked during the sleep and killed. For example, in Namibia, in Okaukujejo camp waterhole. The lioness juped over the electirc fence (!!!) and killed the sleeping woman. The other woman was taken by the leopard when she was sleeping whithout the tent on the tree (!!). A few months ago the park guard was taken by leopard in Moremi (on the camping place!).
Those Mabua lions didn't come during the day into the campsite where the people were. They are still OK.
I am rather concerned about the pride of 22-24 lions in Chitake Springs, Mana Pools where I suppose to camp this year. Those lions killed a man 10 years ago.

yes, Gavin, it would be a people's suiside. The visitors are not first-time campers. Normally they know how to behave. But there must be some kine of neglect, they can left unintentionally some bones on the rost or some peice can drop down. Animals smell the brai and come to check. There are some bad incidents with hyenas and leopards by the way.
I know only one incident involved the bait, which happened about 20 or more years ago in Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana. A teenager wanted to photograph a hyena and put some chicken pieces to get the animal to the tent where he was waiting with the camera. Hyena did everything what was expected from her/him and picked chicken piece by piece until she/he came to the tent.... The problem was that the teenager fall asleep....
Animals are opportunists. There were some incidents when people were attacked during the sleep and killed. For example, in Namibia, in Okaukujejo camp waterhole. The lioness juped over the electirc fence (!!!) and killed the sleeping woman. The other woman was taken by the leopard when she was sleeping whithout the tent on the tree (!!). A few months ago the park guard was taken by leopard in Moremi (on the camping place!).
Those Mabua lions didn't come during the day into the campsite where the people were. They are still OK.
I am rather concerned about the pride of 22-24 lions in Chitake Springs, Mana Pools where I suppose to camp this year. Those lions killed a man 10 years ago.
Hi Elana,
I have heard of most of these incidents that you mention as they are usually published in the news here and on the off road/4x4 websites - and these incidents generally have an adverse impact on the travel /tourist industry here and surrounding countries when they occur.
I have been to Chitake Springs and Mana Pools ,and the same safety precautions as Mabua are necessary when camping without fences - we had a Lioness approach our campsite to drink from the spring and we jumped into our cars until she moved off.
Gavin

@Gene Stinson , yes, I like that old Sigma becasue it has a kind of crispness and nice bokeh. The new Sigma is not better optically than the old model, I tested on ISO charts. Perhaps, AF and VR is better.

Back