Short Lens Hoods for Telephotos / Zemlin

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I bought a Zemlin hood for my 400/28TC and find it so much better in construction and ease of removal. The one I bought was about the same length as the OEM, but as it goes on backwards for transport, that makes little difference. Lens, mounted to Z9 fit in both my large Think Tank roller and Lens limo case. Best of luck.

I bought a Zemlin hood for my 400/28TC and find it so much better in construction and ease of removal. The one I bought was about the same length as the OEM, but as it goes on backwards for transport, that makes little difference. Lens, mounted to Z9 fit in both my large Think Tank roller and Lens limo case. Best of luck.

Interesting. I didn't think that little screw knob on the 400TC was such a big hassle that the Zemlin would greatly improve removal and install.

I use the Zemlin 2 piece on Z800 the one that when both halves in place it is the same length as the stock hood. I also use the Zemlin snap on cap. I do not travel by air. My primary reason for the two piece hood is wind that can come up when I am in the field chasing birds and far from a vehicle. I simply take off the front half and the sail effect pretty much disappears. I put my belt through the front half so it is behind me.

I rarely carry the Z9/Z800 in a bag with the lens in shooting position and if I do I currently use a Think Tank Retro duffel that I lined with sound absorbing foam that work great when the back is on my backseat. When I carry it in a case with the lens reversed with the Z9 attached it is in the case that came with the Z800 lens. It works great.

I just sent measurements off to Vertex Photo to have a custom bag made for the Z9/Z800 combo with the hood in shooting position. It is a design that can be strapped upright in my passenger seat or put in the back seat and can be accessed from the top, or side or end.

Hey Ken - please update us if/when you get that bag back from Vertex Photo. I'd be very interested in how it looks and what it costs. Seems super cool.

Thanks for the feedback on the hoods.

Interesting. I didn't think that little screw knob on the 400TC was such a big hassle that the Zemlin would greatly improve removal and install.

Hey Ken - please update us if/when you get that bag back from Vertex Photo. I'd be very interested in how it looks and what it costs. Seems super cool.

You should try it BEFORE you comment. There's a reason so many of these are sold!

4 to 6 weeks ... cost is $295 + freight $40-50

I have been using the Lenscoat TravelHoods for years on my super telephoto lenses. They fold flat and so are easy to store in a backpack when traveling. As they adjust they can be used on a wide range of lenses of varying diameters. They work as well as the factory hoods for blocking the sun. At $130 they are not cheap but a great deal less costly than replacing a factory hood and they are more compact for travel situations.
I'm using a Rolanpro for the 800 f/6.3 (think M). It was a bit snug at first though has stretched out appropriately with a few uses. The length is a bit long and I tend to mount it a bit back further on the lens for stability and to reduce the length. Nonetheless, it performs well and is pretty secure. I hike around with the soft hood attached and shoot with the lens all day and have never had it dislodge. Looking at the short Zemlin and how flush it is, the short hood seems attractive.

I have the shorter lens hood for both the 400tc, and 600tc so that I can carry the lens in the backpack with the camera attached, and the hood in the shooting position. I have noticed that on several occasions the weight of the lens/camera pressing on the hood caused it to push past the retaining ring on one side causing it to be lopsided on the lens taking a bit of effort to remove. If this continues to be a problem I'll switch to the reverse position. I can't comment on air travel, I always travel by vehicle in anywhere in the US, and Canada. All overseas trips are touring with my wife, not photo shoots. Typically taking one body and a short zoom lens.
View attachment 84662View attachment 84663
Puzzled by how it could push past the retaining ring. However I am using the Zemlin on a Z800 pf so they could be different. Are you making sure zemlin hood is fully turned into place with an audible click. It takes a little more force than you might expect. If you have not watched the Zemlin videos on install

as an update, I received my short hoods for the 400TC/800PF today. 3.23" for 800PF, 2.83" for 400TC.

initial impressions are good. when extended, they make the lenses noticeably shorter which is great for maneuverability.

took about 1 month to ship, but time from shipping to receipt was only 1-2 days or something. nice and quick. well packaged.

I'll weigh out the differences eventually. I don't think much weight savings is to be had - and it makes the lenses slightly bulkier when packed (width), but noticeably shorter when extended (in use).

will they be worth it? only time will tell

as an update, I received my short hoods for the 400TC/800PF today. 3.23" for 800PF, 2.83" for 400TC.

initial impressions are good. when extended, they make the lenses noticeably shorter which is great for maneuverability.

took about 1 month to ship, but time from shipping to receipt was only 1-2 days or something. nice and quick. well packaged.

I'll weigh out the differences eventually. I don't think much weight savings is to be had - and it makes the lenses slightly bulkier when packed (width), but noticeably shorter when extended (in use).

will they be worth it? only time will tell
The larger width is distressing and a "no go" based on that. I guess that the collapsible hood for travel will have to suffice.

The larger width is distressing and a "no go" based on that. I guess that the collapsible hood for travel will have to suffice.

I don't know if it's enough to be called distressing. It's hardly noticeable.

I only made that point because I've seen many others say how much "easier" the zemlin hoods made their lenses to pack. and I don't see how that can be the case. I doubt it makes it noticeably harder to pack, but it certainly doesn't seem to make it any easier.

Back