Shot of the Olympics taken with a Nikon Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I can’t understand why some people would even think that the photo of Gabriel Medina by Monsieur Brouillet could be fake, or manipulated, or even questionable.

The photo of Gabriel for me is perfectly fine, it’s not uncommon to get a rider flying through the air of a huge wave at the finish, as a passionate surfer myself its half the fun especially in big surf.

Monsieur Brouillet was in the right place at the right time, he knew his subject and sport, chose the perfect tools, he captured the moment really well, brilliant good on him, he is also honest and humble about it, for myself its defiantly a money shot moment as we call it.

Going Viral is fantastic and may encourage the young to the sport or even photography...........

A good photographer or craftsman can achieve great outcomes with almost any camera tools or brand.

I believe Monsieur Brouillet used for this application a Z9 100-400 ?? a perfect tool choice especially the 100-400 focal range, if you’re on a boat out there and with short quick subject runs in the barrel and on the wave, the zoom is a perfect choice as the 100-400 is very hand holdable. You have the crop ability from 45mp if needed for more reach or different composition, the camera focus attack speed, and the lens versatility to get the reach shots as well as any close in paparazzi moments, after all its about content in a photo or being different that matters most of all especially to the publishers.

How quick you get files onto the desk is also key. Canon is really been focusing on that.

Only an opinion

It will be interesting to see how Deep-Learning AF modes develop over the next few years. True to tradition, Sports photography is a principal catalyst for the R&D camera engineers are investing into this technology. After first releases in flagships, it should be rolled out in more affordable cameras (if the Nikon strategy becomes standard ie Z9 >Z8>Zf>Z6 III).

Bird and Animal Subject Detection have become extremely useful - if not invaluable - for modern wildlife photography. In the pro sports arena, the latest Deep-Learning innovations and high fidelity for human face recognition (Canon R1) can even enable tracking an individual athlete within a team - as currently being showcased in Paris

Very posative feed back from the R1 user Jeff Cable, a signe of more things to come...........intresting times ahead..........great artical.

Only an opinion

Back