SHOULDER SLINGS

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PAUL50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Periodically members mention shoulder slings (straps) they use for their cameras and I find I‘m now in need of some related advice. My current sling is just a strap attached to the two rings of my D850. Now that it’s cold, and I’m wearing a heavy jacket, I simply can’t just reach around and bring up the camera without it binding hopelessly on the jacket. I’m looking for recommendations for a heavy duty sling that the camera slides on instead of pulling the strap around and which connects to the camera at the base under the body where the RRS Arca-Swiss base plate is/was attached. But, here’s the kicker, I’d like it somehow to be compatible with the RRS quick release plate on my tripod so I can swing it up, quickly disconnect and attach to my tripod. Does such a thing exist? Suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks

I use a Black Rapid strap that performs as you mention. You would be able to simply leave the arca-swiss base plate on your camera and screw the strap attachment directly to it. When you want to use your tripod, you would simply unscrew the strap.

As an alternative, there are several strap makers now that sell a strap that has a swivel quick disconnect that will do what you mention; Black Rapid is one of them. RRS sells the QD connector as well. However, the arca-Swiss plate on the camera body has to have the corresponding hole for the QD connector to attach to. The new RRS plates have them, as well as Kirk and a few others.

Here is a video someone posting showing what I am talking about. Note that I use BR straps, but do not use the QD connector myself.

QD for camera plate

Last edited:
Suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks
Similar to what's posted above I use a Black Rapid strap where I've added a standard Arca Swiss quick release clamp screwed into the 1/4 x 20 screw on the strap. I'll clamp longer lenses like the 500mm PF right onto the strap or when using shorter lenses will clamp the camera's Arca Swiss plate onto the strap. It's very quick to unclamp the strap and place the lens or camera body straight onto the QR clamp on a tripod or monopod.

I’m also a Black Rapid user that I use for heavy telephoto lenses. Couple of things though. I’m right handed but I bought a left handed sling as I like my camera on my left side. I think this is because all the lifting on the camera is done with my left hand and perhaps the manufacturer was thinking of lighter rigs where it’s ok to lift the camera by the body. I always lift by the lens other than when using a 50mm. Also I find that to do what you’re talking about the strap will be quite low. My rig is knocking about around my knees, which is fine as I have one hand resting on the body so it’s not bouncing around. This may be because there are a couple of feet between the strap anchor and the eye piece and it’s less of a problem if you anchor to the camera. When I used a standard strap my rig was above waist height and if that’s where you like it be prepared for a compromise. If you do use a long lens and the foot has multiple screw holes it’s handy as you can use the one nearest the camera for the eyelet and the forward one for a monopod plate. I don’t use a quick release plate but that’s a psychological thing. I’d be holding the camera “just in case” so wouldn’t be much point.

Big fan of the Magpul QD system, used it in it's "intended" role for years.

For camera/lens usage I prefer the functionality of the BR strap as the rig slides up the strap, with the Magpul strap the whole strap has to move. Great for swinging your AR, AK etc round your back but no so great with a camera.

I changed out the carabiner style clips on both single and dual BR straps for Magpul swivels and it all works great, as with most things its personal preference.

All of my bodies and lenses have QD compatible Kirk plates fitted.

Last edited:
I use the Black Rapid Cross Shot attached to the foot of a 500PF with D850 attached as this combination is too heavy for my Think Tank straps attached to a Streetwalker 2.0. These are now used for a D7200 with 105 micro so I can be hands free when walking in the countryside with either camera ready to grab.

There are many different sling systems available now and you see a lot of Black Rapid recommendations. I also like the BR design where the camera slides up and down the strap and has an adjustable stop so if the shoulder pad slips off the shoulder, taking the camera down to the hip re-seats it where it ought to be.

I hate neck straps and although some use them over the shoulder, I've found that only is viable if your clothing allows the strap to grip. I bought a couple of ebay rip offs (search quick rapid) and have been using them for at least 12 years. Mine came with a plate that attaches to the camera tripod socket, but as I use the manfrotto RC2 QR system I only had to clip the carabeener onto the D ring of the RC2 fitting which also allows fast tripod mounting. You only have to undo the carabeener to mount onto a tripod.

When you first use this kind of strap a lot of people are put off as the camera will move around when you are walking, but stick with it and you get used to it quickly. I've looked at several other systems from time to time, but have not yet been tempted away from the BR style straps.

Anyone doing the same with the Manfrotto RC2 QR plates - CHECK THE D RINGS ARE SECURE IN THE SCREW HEAD. I've got a lot of RC2 plates but one D ring did come out of the screw head resulting in the camera dropping to the floor. Not far and no damage fortunately. This prompted me to examine the D rings in my other plates with a huge pair of pliars to check their fit. I could not move the one that had failed so put it in a vice and now it is good. For my heaviest lenses I bought some genuine Black Rapid screws with proper hinged D rings but was alarmed to see a disclaimer on the packet to say they take no responsibility for any damage cause by the kit falling from the mounting.

Last edited:
For now I'm using a Black Rapid strap with cautions and caveats. The strap itself is fine but the carabiner/screw eye connection is prone to wear and failure. My first one lasted just 18 months of occasional use before I noticed significant wear at the friction point. I did not feel that the metals were good enough and with them being worn 1/2 way through, I was in danger of having a sudden failure which would have resulted in my gear hitting the ground. I contacted BR for replacement parts and was told that they would only sell me a replacement strap generously discounted 25%. I found the parts to make the quick connect/pivot point work from RRS and after a few minutes of work,, including stitching the strap back together, I now have a rig I am comfortable with. As I opened with, the BR strap is well made and appears like it will last a long time. Their stock connection materials aren't up to the task at hand and I don't trust them. Based on my experience with their lack of support, I will not do business with them again.
Even with my new quick connection system I've adopted the practice of always keeping a hand on my gear when walking with it on the strap. You just never know. (Like Steve and others have experienced with the foot on the 500pf coming loose for no apparent reason!)

Not trying to steal the thread but have a question for those that use these straps. I usually(more like always) have a knife clipped in my front pocket, not sure if this is the problem or not, but often my battery door or card door is open when I raise the camera to shoot. Does anyone else have this problem?

Not trying to steal the thread but have a question for those that use these straps. I usually(more like always) have a knife clipped in my front pocket, not sure if this is the problem or not, but often my battery door or card door is open when I raise the camera to shoot. Does anyone else have this problem?
Never had either of those events but I do have grips on my D500, D850's and the releases are recessed and require a 90 degree rotation (in other words a multiple step procedure to get the battery out). I almost always have the sling attached to the lens by the lens foot.

I have a sun sniper strap for carrying my pf’s, V similar to The BR strap.
I couldn’t bare the graunching sound and wear between the carabiner and screw eyelet.
I use two tywrap straps between both of them and regularly check but haven’t needed to replace so far

Never had any issues when using my BR copy straps.

I have one of the original BR straps from when they first came out, still going strong, and a Peak Design strap. I find the BR more comfortable to use with lenses with a tripod collar, but it swings around too much for use with smaller gear. I use the PD for on camera attachment, since it doesn’t swing around as much, and has grippy side that keeps it from sliding off. I like that you can removed the PD strap with the built in clips without having to remove anchors. The anchors easily attach to the camera lugs and the strap attachment points on most arca-swiss plates, so there is no added bulk.

Last edited:
Big fan of the Magpul QD system, used it in it's "intended" role for years.

For camera/lens usage I prefer the functionality of the BR strap as the rig slides up the strap, with the Magpul strap the whole strap has to move. Great for swinging your AR, AK etc round your back but no so great with a camera.

I changed out the carabiner style clips on both single and dual BR straps for Magpul swivels and it all works great, as with most things its personal preference.

All of my bodies and lenses have QD compatible Kirk plates fitted.
I like your solution-it appears it will do just what I’m looking for. Just a couple questions, if you don’t mind. You say you replaced the BR carabiner clips with Magpul swivels. Are the swivels you used the MS1 MS3 QD adapter from Magpul or another item. Like you and Warren, I don’t trust the BR connectors and I know Magpul products will do the job. Also, I’m looking at the Sport and Double BR models. I can’t tell from the BR web site if the sling opens at some point permitting me to just slide off the BR connectors and slide on the Magpul replacements or if I’ll have to cut the webbing of the sling and have it stitched back. Thanks Graham.

Question for those using a QD system - the RRS QD swivel has a recessed release button whereas most other QD swivel's I've seen have a release button that is raised above the button's recess. Any issues with accidently depressing the raised release button and inadvertently disconnecting the QD swivel?

I like your solution-it appears it will do just what I’m looking for. Just a couple questions, if you don’t mind. You say you replaced the BR carabiner clips with Magpul swivels. Are the swivels you used the MS1 MS3 QD adapter from Magpul or another item. Like you and Warren, I don’t trust the BR connectors and I know Magpul products will do the job. Also, I’m looking at the Sport and Double BR models. I can’t tell from the BR web site if the sling opens at some point permitting me to just slide off the BR connectors and slide on the Magpul replacements or if I’ll have to cut the webbing of the sling and have it stitched back. Thanks Graham.

I had some of the MS1 MS4 adapters kicking around already but don't see any reason why the MS1 MS3 would work just as well.

To slide off the BR carabiner you do need to un-pick the stitching at the end and stitch back up after fitting the Magpul part. My wife did it on standard domestic Singer machine with a "leather" needle and nylon thread, took her about 5 mins in total :)

Works fine on both the single and double straps, I've had a D5/300mm f/2.8 on one side and D500/500mm f/4 on the other!

Question for those using a QD system - the RRS QD swivel has a recessed release button whereas most other QD swivel's I've seen have a release button that is raised above the button's recess. Any issues with accidently depressing the raised release button and inadvertently disconnecting the QD swivel?

Not used one from RRS but just looked their website and the button looks raised/domed, same as Magpul?

Never had any issue with domed Magpul part accidentally releasing and have used them in some interesting, non photography, situations:)

Not used one from RRS but just looked their website and the button looks raised/domed, same as Magpul?

Never had any issue with domed Magpul part accidentally releasing and have used them in some interesting, non photography, situations:)
Yes - the buttons are domed but I believe the RRS button dome is recessed down in the swivel body versus others where the dome is elevated above body

I had some of the MS1 MS4 adapters kicking around already but don't see any reason why the MS1 MS3 would work just as well.

To slide off the BR carabiner you do need to un-pick the stitching at the end and stitch back up after fitting the Magpul part. My wife did it on standard domestic Singer machine with a "leather" needle and nylon thread, took her about 5 mins in total :)

Works fine on both the single and double straps, I've had a D5/300mm f/2.8 on one side and D500/500mm f/4 on the other!
Thanks Graham. You’ve been extremely helpful. One last question, with the 500mm do you attach the QC to the camera body or the lens foot? If the lens foot, what do you use as a connector on the foot. I haven’t found anything yet that would work.

Thanks Graham. You’ve been extremely helpful. One last question, with the 500mm do you attach the QC to the camera body or the lens foot? If the lens foot, what do you use as a connector on the foot. I haven’t found anything yet that would work.

Glad its helped Paul, on the 500mm f/4E I'm using the Kirk LP-63N foot and on the 500mm f/5.6 PF its the Kirk LP-64. Just using the 1 x attachment point on the lens foot. I do have Kirk plates fitted on all bodies but only attach to the body when its a short lens with no foot. The older Kirk plates weren't all QD compatible but I think all the new ones are now.

Similar to what's posted above I use a Black Rapid strap where I've added a standard Arca Swiss quick release clamp screwed into the 1/4 x 20 screw on the strap. I'll clamp longer lenses like the 500mm PF right onto the strap or when using shorter lenses will clamp the camera's Arca Swiss plate onto the strap. It's very quick to unclamp the strap and place the lens or camera body straight onto the QR clamp on a tripod or monopod.
Thanks DR. Im looking at both your setup and Graham’s, particularly because I don’t trust the hardware on the BR strap where it attaches to the camera. But I like the idea of using a quick release clamp on the sling so I can attach it to either the plate on the camera or on larger lenses the lens foot. What are you using or what would you recommend, a RRS lever type quick release clamp or something else? And, lastly, would that make the rig too bulky? Thanks

Glad its helped Paul, on the 500mm f/4E I'm using the Kirk LP-63N foot and on the 500mm f/5.6 PF its the Kirk LP-64. Just using the 1 x attachment point on the lens foot. I do have Kirk plates fitted on all bodies but only attach to the body when its a short lens with no foot. The older Kirk plates weren't all QD compatible but I think all the new ones are now.
Outstanding. Looks Like I may have some sewing to do! Thanks. I’m juggling between your suggestion and DR’s, which is a little easier, but I just don’t trust the BR hardware.

I use the Peak Design Slide strap. It can be worn as a sling, neck, or shoulder strap. The anchor links allow you to quickly attach or remove the strap. I have one anchor link on the top left ring on my Nikon D850, another on the bottom of my RRS L bracket, and a third on the tripod foot of my 500mm PF lens. When using that lens, I transfer the strap from the camera bottom to the lens foot.

Back