SHOULDER SLINGS

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you need to hold a rig steady with the hands free then look at Cotton Carrier's Skout or Harness.

They spread the weight.

A hub is screwed to the tripod mount of the body or lens foot, and it goes into the holster when turned 90 degrees around. When the lens drops downwards the hub locks in place.

It's possible to get a hub with a dovetail plate.

The hub can be screwed to a lens foot though long lenses will need an extension plate to mount the hub higher to ensure the pivot point is higher than the COG.

This works for me as I'm often cycling, skiing or clambering with my wildlife rig. The Skout can be offset so you see better where you're putting your feet. A backpack can be worn over it.

The Skout will take up to about 3kg, or 4+ kg for short spells.

You can add another holster to the Harness belt for a second camera.

Skout:

1540991827_IMG_1087018.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Harness:

1498132040_IMG_817908.jpg

Edited.

Last edited:
I've used both the Peak Design Slide and BR, but I preferred the Slide. This may change in the future with the QD option, but first I would have to update a bunch of plates. I would love to see a photo of Graham's setup!

I've used both the Peak Design Slide and BR, but I preferred the Slide. This may change in the future with the QD option, but first I would have to update a bunch of plates. I would love to see a photo of Graham's setup!
Agreed. I really like the QD concept.

I advise you not to get a Black Rapid sling. I had one attached to a 500pf lens and the swivel/karabiner wore through and snapped,luckily I was holt the lens at the time. You can purchase similar on Amazon for £4.50.

Couple of phone shots of the BR Strap with Magpul MS1 MS4 adapter.

First one is connected to D5/500mm f/5.6PF and second is connected to D850 L Bracket:

BR Strap_01-01.jpg

BR Strap_02-04.jpg

Works well for me:

* Easy QD release, no need to unscrew/refit the BR eyelet if I need to use a tripod etc. Also no risk of loosing the small BR eyelet:)
* Maintains the BR functionality of sliding up the strap, unlike the Magpul strap
* Robust, proven design, not seen any wear and tear unlike the BR parts

I also use and highly recommend the Peak Design Slide. I ordered extra anchor links and installed them on the tripod foot of my lenses and also on the rings on my cameras. It makes it very simple to change your strap to any camera or lens in just a few seconds.

Periodically members mention shoulder slings (straps) they use for their cameras and I find I‘m now in need of some related advice. My current sling is just a strap attached to the two rings of my D850. Now that it’s cold, and I’m wearing a heavy jacket, I simply can’t just reach around and bring up the camera without it binding hopelessly on the jacket. I’m looking for recommendations for a heavy duty sling that the camera slides on instead of pulling the strap around and which connects to the camera at the base under the body where the RRS Arca-Swiss base plate is/was attached. But, here’s the kicker, I’d like it somehow to be compatible with the RRS quick release plate on my tripod so I can swing it up, quickly disconnect and attach to my tripod. Does such a thing exist? Suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks

Hi Paul
I have been using an UPstrap on my D500 for almost 2 years now I hang it over my shoulder never slips off nice soft rubber pad that really grips it attaches to the rings on camera body the straps are made of Kevlar very strong and made in USA the company is in Florida. I found out about them at an event a fellow Nikon guy had a D4 and D850 with the straps he gave me the info on them said that's all he uses. I called the company and got one of the owners on the line ne asked what kind of camera and lens I planned to use and the weight and recommended a strap all his straps have a US Paten and use military grade Kevlar here is their ino
Pro Camera Straps and Leather Slings | JOURNEY CAMERA or UPstrap.com

Couple of phone shots of the BR Strap with Magpul MS1 MS4 adapter.

First one is connected to D5/500mm f/5.6PF and second is connected to D850 L Bracket:

View attachment 12537

View attachment 12538

Works well for me:

* Easy QD release, no need to unscrew/refit the BR eyelet if I need to use a tripod etc. Also no risk of loosing the small BR eyelet:)
* Maintains the BR functionality of sliding up the strap, unlike the Magpul strap
* Robust, proven design, not seen any wear and tear unlike the BR parts
Graham, thanks for the photos! I'm going with this system on a double BR strap. The double strap solves the problem of where I put the camera I'm taking off the tripod before attaching the other camera. Previously, I've had to lay the camera on the ground and never was happy with that. The Magpul QD adapter I know is rock solid and combined with the BR double strap I think my problem is solved. In response to an earlier comment in the thread by another member, I'm not concerned about an accidental release of the QD mechanism, like the release button on the 500PF lens foot, because of its positioning. On the 500PF the button was right where a person naturally gripped the foot and an accidental detach was a guarantee, I know, it happened the first time I picked it up, depositing the lens fortunately on a soft spot on the ground, which caused me to replace the foot with one from RRS. So thanks again Graham for taking the time an effort to help me work this issue through. And, thanks to all the other members who offers suggestions and solutions. Paul

Periodically members mention shoulder slings (straps) they use for their cameras and I find I‘m now in need of some related advice. My current sling is just a strap attached to the two rings of my D850. Now that it’s cold, and I’m wearing a heavy jacket, I simply can’t just reach around and bring up the camera without it binding hopelessly on the jacket. I’m looking for recommendations for a heavy duty sling that the camera slides on instead of pulling the strap around and which connects to the camera at the base under the body where the RRS Arca-Swiss base plate is/was attached. But, here’s the kicker, I’d like it somehow to be compatible with the RRS quick release plate on my tripod so I can swing it up, quickly disconnect and attach to my tripod. Does such a thing exist? Suggestions would be appreciate. Thanks
Try Lumi Lab in Portland, OR.

Been using the Magpul quick release system and RRS L-plates and lens foot plates for several years and never had a problem. The newer RRS l-plates have quick release ports
on both portrait and landscape sides. I use the RRS LCF-11 foot for my Nikon 500mm PF. I also will keep a small hand strap on the camera body so I won't accidentally drop the
camera when detaching from a long, heavy lens where the lens is on the quick release and not the camera. Had one close calls in cold weather where my D850 actually slipped
but fortunately fell into a snow bank o soft snow. D850, Z7-ii, Z-6

I love the Kirk Security Strap that has a Arca-Swiss type clamp that secures any foot on any lens. It has a nice padded section as well to support a heavy camera and lens load while hiking. I much prefer taking the lens off the tripod and using the Kirk strap and use one hand to keep the lens from swinging around at all and with my other hand I grab the tripod and I can go quite a distance and across bad terrain with no issues.

One day, after shooting at an air show using my OpTech neck strap, before the last act had performed, my shoulders and back were complaining long and loud. Two things happened: I started carrying a pain reliever of choice with me every time, :) and I bought an over the shoulder strap. It increased my comfort many times! I now use a Black Rapid strap, or a cheap ChiCom copy that both work fine. I am tall, and most of the other straps I have tried are not long enough to let me carry a camera and tele lens comfortably. I have two camera bags that are the same. The BR strap and the other one (I got the XL version) allow me to carry my cameras much more comfortably. YMMV

Good choice ... I have used a Black Rapids Yeti for years. I recently switched to the Black Rapid Double Breathe harness ... it goes on like a backpack, has upgraded caribiner and and fastener that screws into plate or body. The ability to tuck the camera not in use behind your body is fantastic and is fast with the new locking slide. Since I seldom use a tripod that is not an issue for me. I had it out today chasing birds with D850 with battery pack and the big EN-EL 18c battery and the Nikon 500pf on my right side and a D500 with a Tamron 18-400 on the left. I more frequently use it with a D500 and battery grip with the EN-EL 18c and a Tamron 150-600G2 on the right and the 500 without a grip and the Tamron 18-400 on the left. With this I can shoot most anything from macro to BIF.

I've used Black Rapid for many years but 2 years ago switched to the Hold Fast Moneymaker Leather Harness to get to the weight of the gripped D850 with 70- 200 off my neck. I love the weight distribution and being able to carry 2 bodies and a lens case comfortably for hours is great. They are pricey, but are 2 inch thick leather (or synthetic) and work really well with a large jacket in cold weather. Might be a little overkill for you style of shooting... but its a sturdy, secure system for heavy gear. Good luck!

Yes - the buttons are domed but I believe the RRS button dome is recessed down in the swivel body versus others where the dome is elevated above body

On the Magpul site you’ll see that the genuine ones have a raised button. The RRS ones have a button that is flush with the body and the Kirk ones have a button that is recessed. The needs of shooters and photographers, and the consequences of accidental release being somewhat different.

7CC9B0EE-A1EC-4904-879C-03143508D37A.jpeg

Hi Paul
I have been using an UPstrap on my D500 for almost 2 years now I hang it over my shoulder never slips off nice soft rubber pad that really grips it attaches to the rings on camera body the straps are made of Kevlar very strong and made in USA the company is in Florida. I found out about them at an event a fellow Nikon guy had a D4 and D850 with the straps he gave me the info on them said that's all he uses. I called the company and got one of the owners on the line ne asked what kind of camera and lens I planned to use and the weight and recommended a strap all his straps have a US Paten and use military grade Kevlar here is their ino
Pro Camera Straps and Leather Slings | JOURNEY CAMERA or UPstrap.com

I've heard great things about these straps as well as recommendations from pro photographers. Pity the don't do ones for shoulder bags which is where I am still to find a grippy strap/pad that will cope with nylon type coats.

I posted a question about shoulder supports several months ago and based on all the comments I opted for the Cotton Carrier Skout. I have been complete satisfied with it for walking around up to an hour and could do much longer (not been hiking with it). My heaviest equipment is a Nikon D780 plus 70-200 E FL and TC14iii. It puts the weight exactly where I want it and it is so easy to access the camera.

I posted a question about shoulder supports several months ago and based on all the comments I opted for the Cotton Carrier Skout. I have been complete satisfied with it for walking around up to an hour and could do much longer (not been hiking with it). My heaviest equipment is a Nikon D780 plus 70-200 E FL and TC14iii. It puts the weight exactly where I want it and it is so easy to access the camera.
I have a cotton carrier also... great for hiking and use in crowded areas. Only difficulty is when you quickly want to use a tri or mono pod. Very sturdy and secure! Enjoy.

I have a cotton carrier also... great for hiking and use in crowded areas. Only difficulty is when you quickly want to use a tri or mono pod. Very sturdy and secure! Enjoy.

I use a Luma Lab QD Loop 3.5 and Op/Tech shoulder strap with a QD push button swivel attached. My Kirk lens and camera plates have the QD socket except one and I use the Kirk QRC-1QD on that one. I bought a Black Rapid shoulder strap and would use it around town. It was too noisy for the woods. Too much metal clanking.

If you use a lighter rig, check out the old Peek Design capture clip. I used it to clip my camera to my daypack harness and LOVED it. Unfortunately it didn't work as well for my heavier Nikon system, but if I would use it again if back in a similar situation! (I used it with an Olympus EM10 micro 4/3 system)

Back