Side mount gimbals

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use the Wimberley Mh-100 with my Z9 and Z600 6.3. I've also use it with the 500PF with FTZ II and with the Z100-400. I've had no problems with it. I used it with the D850 before I went to mirrorless as well.
1_CameraOnMonopod(small)-7103510-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I'm a Sidekick guy too (on Gitzo and RRS tripods with RRS and Markins heads). I've become so addicted to how portable (and relatively inexpensive for what you get) and how easy it is to go from using it to using the head without. Been using 500 f4 + tc's without ever having a stability or security issued, but I 100% agree...it has to fit your individual application and style.

I have the Promedia Gear Katana JNR on my tripod and car mount and it is an awesome Gimbal....xero issues with it. However, for my Monopod, I use the Wimberly MH100 and it is superb in my honest opinion.

I've been using an RRS side mount for many years and I love it. Heavy and bulky to travel with, but once balanced correctly it's effortless to use and you can tilt it up pretty high. I've also used the Wimberley monogimbal with a light monopod and my 500mm f4. While I prefer to handhold when shooting birds,, it does take the weight off while waiting, and it's light enough to where I can pick up the camera and monopod when birds fly overhead. The lens sits off center, but you simply tilt the monopod and it works like a charm. A monopod is great for safaris where you're not allowed to have a tripod in the vehicle.

I use all Wimberley at this point. I use the 100 side mount on a RRS monopod and it works well enough. I have not tried the Promediagear stuff. I thought they were heavily promoted and I had doubts about the true independence of some of the reviewers.

I am very nervous about side mounted lenses in general. That being said, the monopod head has worked fine for me so far and it is comfortable carrying the camera/lens slung over my back when moving around during a shoot.

I do feel the need for added security and I now have a retainer security strap with an Arca Swiss clamp. I am going to use that religiously going forward. I also test the clamp tightness frequently to make sure nothing comes loose. I really don't want my z9 and an expensive long prime to go bouncing off the pavement.

I really like how the Wimberley bottom mount gimbal works. It feels more secure to me.

I use a Custom Brackets gimbal, which now may have gone out of production. As it is made to be dis-assembled, there is an option of removing the cradle pieces of the "normal" gimbal, and using the vertical piece as a support for a lens; the vertical connection is a rotating arca-swiss style clamp, so it will directly connect to your plate or dove tail. I have not used it in the "side-mount" configuration, so I do not have any real observation of its utility. I have had good luck with the unit and can recommend it if you can find one; it used to be marketed with our without the cradle and "down-arm". I have never felt limited by its capacity (600 f4 plus D3 or Z9, etc.) but only used it on a tripod. I have never felt comfortable using a gimbal on a monopod (for the same reasons as Steve discussed in his video: flop).
All the best.

Back