Sigma/Tamron rf 150-600?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello! I had a conversation with a photographer yesterday about the third party rf150-600 lens. What's your opinion about that topic? When do you think it will be released and what will its price be?
Thanks in advance Nick!

I've not read anything on the rumor sites about it. I've seen rumors of some wide angle possibilities from nthird pary vendors for RF mount. I think the best bet is to use the adapter with the old EF version. Adapted lenses work fine on the R cameras. I've heard that the third party lenses sometimes can't keep up at fast frame rates, but once you slow down to 5-8 it seems to be OK.

Last edited:
Hello! I had a conversation with a photographer yesterday about the third party rf150-600 lens. What's your opinion about that topic? When do you think it will be released and what will its price be?
Thanks in advance Nick!

Don't hold your breath. Canon, even when it does (if it does) open the mount to 3rd party AF zooms will handicap them with slower AF and framerates. The Canon Cripple Hammer knows no mercy.

They are allowing auto focus lenses on a case by case basis, extremely unlikely they would allow a Rf 150-600 6.3, when they have just released the 200-800 and can’t fill orders. That would just be bad business to allow competitors to steal away potential customers that are currently waiting on the 200-800. Once they are able to reliably stock them in stores I could see them considering it. I would really like them to open up the mount, but don’t get your hopes up.

They are allowing auto focus lenses on a case by case basis, extremely unlikely they would allow a Rf 150-600 6.3, when they have just released the 200-800 and can’t fill orders. That would just be bad business to allow competitors to steal away potential customers that are currently waiting on the 200-800. Once they are able to reliably stock them in stores I could see them considering it. I would really like them to open up the mount, but don’t get your hopes up.
There is nothing "bad business" in letting Sigma do marketing for you and generating some royalties for you.

Back