Silver fox - keeper?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The light was poor, and it was a misty day, but this photo is a memory of a ten minute exciting wildlife encounter. It is, therefore, worth keeping for me. However, I would welcome views as to whether it is worth displaying, or entering into my local photography club monthly competition. Any other comments also welcome.

First, the embedded jpeg, with no pp. Z9 400/4.5 + 1.4 tc, handheld, ss 1/1,000 f 6.3 ISO 12,800

Second, the version edited in DxO Photolab Elite 6 with DeepPrime XD, and sharpened in Topaz Sharpen AI.

Thanks, and Christmas Greetings to all.
Silver fox unedited.jpg
Silver fox edited.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I like the swirl in the background seeming to emanate from the subject. I wouldn't have cropped it out but rather emphasized it. Did you use the dehaze tool in PL? I forget what they call it, but it seems that can go too far. Maybe you want to keep some of the misty mystery..

I prefer the original with the misty look. The second is over processed IMHO. On the original I would remove the tall grass above his ear and process lightly.
For a quick play, in ACR :

1- used a gradient to remove a little of the mist only from the lower foreground
2 - used a brush to add black to the animal
3 - used a brush to bring out the eyes a bit more
4 - cropped

Silver fox A.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thank you, all, for your thoughtful and kind comments. I think version two is probably a bit overcooked. I think I will have two versions, one misty and one more clear.

I'm with # 2 as well, but if it was my shot I'd not consider it a keeper. Great recovery job though; truly! I love what fog and mist can add to a photo but in that first shot the fog just makes flat boring light even flatter in my opinion; now if there was some golden hour light igniting that scene :)

I'm with # 2 as well, but if it was my shot I'd not consider it a keeper. Great recovery job though; truly! I love what fog and mist can add to a photo but in that first shot the fog just makes flat boring light even flatter in my opinion; now if there was some golden hour light igniting that scene :)
Yes, there is no substitute for good light.

Back