Silver Fox ( melanistic form of the red fox )

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Shot with a 500mm @F5, ISO 1250, 1/1250

BR8A3192-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Lovely fox, framing and faded BG. Personally, I would paint over the OOF white highlights, using the adjacent colour for the brush. If you darken the immediate FG in front of the fox, it will anchor him stronger in the frame. I would also loose a bit off the top of the frame. Just my subjective feel.

Lovely fox, framing and faded BG. Personally, I would paint over the OOF white highlights, using the adjacent colour for the brush. If you darken the immediate FG in front of the fox, it will anchor him stronger in the frame. I would also loose a bit off the top of the frame. Just my subjective feel.
Thank you for your feeback

Wilde, I think you have a super photo of the fox but in a very ordinary setting. It's the grass that let's the photo down in my opinion. What I would try in this circumstance is to crop the image as tight as I could to lose the surrounding green as much as possible.

Wilde, I think you have a super photo of the fox but in a very ordinary setting. It's the grass that let's the photo down in my opinion. What I would try in this circumstance is to crop the image as tight as I could to lose the surrounding green as much as possible.

Thank you Gongster for your feedback, actually I composed the photo the way you are seeing on purpose, I was trying to create a kind of relationship between the subject and the composition, if you look at the fox you will notice that the focal point is the head which is located at the bottom of his body (from a 2D perspective) compare that to the photo as a whole and you will notice that the relationship of the fox's head to its body stimulates the relationship of the fox to the whole picture.

I was just trying to think outside the box and try something new.

Fox.PNG

Who am I to critique someone`s work - however in my humble opinion I can only say what I see ...

Personally i`d keep the composition as is , I wouldn`t crop tight as I think it needs the grass in front to draw you up to the foxes face ,I would however tone down the bright OOF grass as Callie has suggested ... its a very nice image indeed the more I look at it the more I like it :)

Who am I to critique someone`s work - however in my humble opinion I can only say what I see ...

Personally i`d keep the composition as is , I wouldn`t crop tight as I think it needs the grass in front to draw you up to the foxes face ,I would however tone down the bright OOF grass as Callie has suggested ... its a very nice image indeed the more I look at it the more I like it :)

Thank you Harry or your feedback

This is a lovely shot of a beautiful critter. Personally I prefer the second crop. I think the fox's face needs maximum dominance to de-emphasize the ordinary looking grass, as Callie said. I am wondering if the fox should be moved slightly to the right? Seems to me the body position with the tail showing, and composition would balance better with a bit more space on the left than on the right. IMHO.

This is a lovely shot of a beautiful critter. Personally I prefer the second crop. I think the fox's face needs maximum dominance to de-emphasize the ordinary looking grass, as Callie said. I am wondering if the fox should be moved slightly to the right? Seems to me the body position with the tail showing, and composition would balance better with a bit more space on the left than on the right. IMHO.
I agree, the space on the right needs to a little tighter

Reactions: JSD
I agree with Gongster's comment about the surrounding green. Have you tried reducing the saturation and/or luminance of the green and yellow? It is so much brighter, my eyes keep going to the grass vs the fox. Reducing the green and yellow luminance may make the fox 'pop' more.

Last edited:
If nothing else I would reduce the brightness of the highlit grass in front of the fox. When it's that bright it tends to draw the eye, and you actually want the surrounding real estate to be somewhat subdued so that the eye goes to the main subject - the fox.

The second part is more my own personal preference. Placing an animal like this in the center of the frame from left to right sometimes makes for a static kind of image. An exception is if you intend this to be a portrait of the fox. Otherwise I would crop a little off the left and top of the image. Often that makes for a more dynamic image. This is a quick, crude edit to illustrate.

Fox2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

If nothing else I would reduce the brightness of the highlit grass in front of the fox. When it's that bright it tends to draw the eye, and you actually want the surrounding real estate to be somewhat subdued so that the eye goes to the main subject - the fox.

The second part is more my own personal preference. Placing an animal like this in the center of the frame from left to right sometimes makes for a static kind of image. An exception is if you intend this to be a portrait of the fox. Otherwise I would crop a little off the left and top of the image. Often that makes for a more dynamic image. This is a quick, crude edit to illustrate.

View attachment 5056
Thank you Rassie, I agree the highighlit on the grass should be reduced.

Back