Sling bag for Nikon Z8 with 24-120mm f/4 S

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am looking for a sling bag to carry my Z8 with Kirk camera plate and mounted 24-120mm f/4 S (hood reversed). This has dimensions of 5 inches (12.5mm) x 6 inches (15mm) x 7 inches (17.5mm). Ideally it would be good to also have space for my 50mm f/1.8 S lens or a flash gun plus batteries and memory cards. The aim is to have something comfortable for every day carry, to not look too much like a camera bag and to allow easy access without having to remove it from my back.
From searches of the internet there are two offering from ThinkTank that look possible (Turnstile 10 and Photocross 10) and the Belroy Venture Sling 10L looks possible although it may be a bit too narrow and is a bit pricey.
I would be interested if any of you with the same camera and lens combination (or a D850 and 24-120mm which will be similar in size), regularly use a sling bag or have some other small bag setup that allows easy access to your camera. As I will almost certainly have to buy the bag online, it would be good to know in advance the the bag is of the appropriate size and has the right functionality for my needs.
Many thanks for your help.
Michael

Timbuk2 Especial Stash in medium can fit my z9 with a 400 4.5

IMG_1217.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_1220.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

note, using a single shoulder style bag for an extended period with any substantial weight is likely to give you neck/shoulder pain
A sling bag is generally worn across the body and distributes the weight away from the neck and more to the hips. Plus it rotates so that gear can be take out quickly and easily.

It appears that Peak Design no longer offers the one that hubby likes so well. :( The closest thing I found was by ThinkTank and MindShift

I am looking for a sling bag to carry my Z8 with Kirk camera plate and mounted 24-120mm f/4 S (hood reversed). This has dimensions of 5 inches (12.5mm) x 6 inches (15mm) x 7 inches (17.5mm). Ideally it would be good to also have space for my 50mm f/1.8 S lens or a flash gun plus batteries and memory cards. The aim is to have something comfortable for every day carry, to not look too much like a camera bag and to allow easy access without having to remove it from my back.
From searches of the internet there are two offering from ThinkTank that look possible (Turnstile 10 and Photocross 10) and the Belroy Venture Sling 10L looks possible although it may be a bit too narrow and is a bit pricey.
I would be interested if any of you with the same camera and lens combination (or a D850 and 24-120mm which will be similar in size), regularly use a sling bag or have some other small bag setup that allows easy access to your camera. As I will almost certainly have to buy the bag online, it would be good to know in advance the the bag is of the appropriate size and has the right functionality for my needs.
Michael

Checkout the below link for a review of the Lowepro AW sling bags. I have the 202 bag. I think that I paid about $90 years ago. It even has an integrated rain cover to pull over the bag! My Z8 with attached 24-120mm S lens + hood fits in the bag as well as the 100-400 S lens (I put the lens hood in the end compartment). This can be found on EBay and other places in the $30 range lightly used.

Lowepro AW 202 Sling Camera Bag Review

Lowepro has replaced this model with the AW 250. Looks to be about the same size. Cost around $130 new on Amazon. Link below.

Lowepro AW 250

Last edited:
I have (not using now) the original Peak Design 5L. Was great for my Z6 w/lens mounted and other stuff. But not good enough for my Z8. I considered the 6L, but went with the 10L Version 2. Great bag. You will have no problem with the 24-120 mounted and two other lenses plus other stuff. I like it because it has 'structure' and you can put it down and will not fall over. Fits nicely against your back or side. Their interior partitions are great and give you a lot of flexibility.

A sling bag is generally worn across the body and distributes the weight away from the neck and more to the hips. Plus it rotates so that gear can be take out quickly and easily.

It appears that Peak Design no longer offers the one that hubby likes so well. :( The closest thing I found was by ThinkTank and MindShift
Have used different lowepro slings over the years and liked them much. Currently my Peak Design 6l carries a Z6ii with 24=120, 14=30, and 35mm. Love it. It is one of their current models and sells for about $120

Last edited:
I have the Peak 6L and 10L slings. The 6L is nice, but I like the 10L better. It's not much larger or heavier but can carry much more. I can even fit my Z9 in it; the bag is flexible. You should have no issues with your Z8.

The Peak slings in general are nice for carrying a camera and a few lenses; the bag hugs the body nicely, so you don't wear your shoulder out. Be aware they don't have a lot of space outside the main compartment, so if you shoot with filters, carry a lot of batteries, or use other accessories you can run out of space really quickly. (For example, when I shoot macro with a twin flash, I can only carry one extra lens.)

I have the Peak 6L and 10L slings. The 6L is nice, but I like the 10L better. It's not much larger or heavier but can carry much more. I can even fit my Z9 in it; the bag is flexible. You should have no issues with your Z8.

The Peak slings in general are nice for carrying a camera and a few lenses; the bag hugs the body nicely, so you don't wear your shoulder out. Be aware they don't have a lot of space outside the main compartment, so if you shoot with filters, carry a lot of batteries, or use other accessories you can run out of space really quickly. (For example, when I shoot macro with a twin flash, I can only carry one extra lens.)
I agree, but you need to limit to your needs. It is as good as you say.

I use the 6 L PD Everyday Sling, among others:

The Z8 with Z24-120mm f/4S fits perfectly along with a rocket blower, brush and batteries.

Michael
Checkout MindShift PhotoCross 13 by Think Tank

I have the Think Tank Photo Turnstyle 10 V2.0 Sling Bag. It fits my Z8 with a RRS base plate and 24-120 hood reversed well. It's a tight squeeze but it does fit the 50 1.8 and the SB500 flash all together but it would be a bit more awkward getting the gear in and out, but doable. There are two separate zippered compartments on either side of the main zippered compartment. Certainly enough room for spare batteries, wallet, phone, etc.. Think Tank products are well designed and made. They have just launched a new line of 3 bags called 'Press Pass', one of which is a sling that can fit the 70-200 attached to the camera. If that's interesting look for a video on their site that gives an overview. When you make your purchase let us know what you chose and what you think. (edited to correct the attached lens 24-120 f4).

Last edited:
I have such a love / hate relationship with sling bags. I won't bore you with the details, but mostly I can't stand having weight on one shoulder for anything longer than a few minutes. That aside, I do have two slings - Nomatic's Peter McKinnon 8L, and ThinkTank Photo's new PressPass Sling.

The Nomatic is super for quick-carry outings, and fits the Z8 & 24-120 (hood reversed OR normal). I can even fit my iPhone Mini on one side, with a divider next to the body. The larger Z8 is slightly snug depth-wise but fits well enough and there's no struggle closing the zipper. Lots of nice features in this bag and the quality is excellent. I also have a Peak Design Capture Clip on the strap / down near the bag, super convenient. Good setup!

The new PressPass is a pretty unique sling, slightly larger and not as rigid. Has a very wide, more comfortable shoulder pad. I bought this exclusively to carry the 70-200 2.8 S attached to a body. Fits with hood reversed with padding insert "bucket" in the bag, or, with hood normal and the padding bucket removed. Perfect fit, works as advertised, and typical top-level quality and attention to detail from ThinkTank Photo. Easy-access external pockets, an included rain cover, and plenty of dividers make this a nice deal at $119.

All that said - If I had to do it all over again... or if I ever sell my two above bags... I'd either just stay with backpacks, or have one sling and that would likely be Wandrd's Rogue 9L. There's a lot I really like about this bag and it could easily cover both my use cases above. Also, it's currently on sale. You could easily go with the 6L for your Z8 & 24-120 setup.

Hope this is helpful! :cool:

I have such a love / hate relationship with sling bags. I won't bore you with the details, but mostly I can't stand having weight on one shoulder for anything longer than a few minutes. That aside, I do have two slings - Nomatic's Peter McKinnon 8L, and ThinkTank Photo's new PressPass Sling.

The Nomatic is super for quick-carry outings, and fits the Z8 & 24-120 (hood reversed OR normal). I can even fit my iPhone Mini on one side, with a divider next to the body. The larger Z8 is slightly snug depth-wise but fits well enough and there's no struggle closing the zipper. Lots of nice features in this bag and the quality is excellent. I also have a Peak Design Capture Clip on the strap / down near the bag, super convenient. Good setup!

The new PressPass is a pretty unique sling, slightly larger and not as rigid. Has a very wide, more comfortable shoulder pad. I bought this exclusively to carry the 70-200 2.8 S attached to a body. Fits with hood reversed with padding insert "bucket" in the bag, or, with hood normal and the padding bucket removed. Perfect fit, works as advertised, and typical top-level quality and attention to detail from ThinkTank Photo. Easy-access external pockets, an included rain cover, and plenty of dividers make this a nice deal at $119.

All that said - If I had to do it all over again... or if I ever sell my two above bags... I'd either just stay with backpacks, or have one sling and that would likely be Wandrd's Rogue 9L. There's a lot I really like about this bag and it could easily cover both my use cases above. Also, it's currently on sale. You could easily go with the 6L for your Z8 & 24-120 setup.

Hope this is helpful! :cool:
Thanks for your great insight.

Did you check out the Peak Design sling? My husband uses it for his camcorder.....I believe Peak Design has a few different sizes.
I have one of the Peak Design slings and really like it. My only criticism is the opening is quite stiff and the camera does not slip in easily. But a great design with an outside pocket and a movable divider inside so you can carry a separate second lens.

I have one of the Peak Design slings and really like it. My only criticism is the opening is quite stiff and the camera does not slip in easily. But a great design with an outside pocket and a movable divider inside so you can carry a separate second lens.
Still have it in mind but nearest camera shop is 130 miles away so will have to wait until I next visit Edinburgh.
Thanks

Back