Small container for transferring "essentials" from bag to bag

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I currently utilize multiple bags/backpacks for photography....and I'm always worried I will forget one of my "essential" items in one bag when I need it in another. By "essential" items...I'm referring to things like spare batteries, memory cards, card reader, charger, multi-tool, etc...

Does anyone make a specific container or pouch as a "catch all" for keeping these items all together? In other words, I would like to be able to just grab one thing and be confident that everything I need is in it.

I'm sure I can repurpose something myself, but was curious if there was a product like this already on the market.

I currently utilize multiple bags/backpacks for photography....and I'm always worried I will forget one of my "essential" items in one bag when I need it in another. By "essential" items...I'm referring to things like spare batteries, memory cards, card reader, charger, multi-tool, etc...

Does anyone make a specific container or pouch as a "catch all" for keeping these items all together? In other words, I would like to be able to just grab one thing and be confident that everything I need is in it.

I'm sure I can repurpose something myself, but was curious if there was a product like this already on the market.
I use mesh sided travel pouches (sometimes called travel cubes or packing cubes or travel organizers) to carry small stuff that I'll move from pack to pack.

Lot's of styles, sizes and price points out there but I bought a set something like this and use the sizes that fit my gear: https://www.amazon.com/Packing-Organizers-Suitcase-Lightweight-Accessories/dp/B071DFS29X/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1NRVNEAG4G95K&keywords=mesh+sided+travel+cube&qid=1707756253&sprefix=mesh+sided+travel+cube,aps,136&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

I use this one from Topo.

I have several multi-size sets of these zipper pouches which I’ve been using for several years. They come in different colors, too. I also use them for organizing my smaller motorcycle gear (cables, mounts, tools) in my panniers and they’ve been great for that as well. I’d like that they are easy to shape to the space where I want to pack them. (The topo design products mentioned above look interesting too.)

Last edited:
I use mesh sided travel pouches (sometimes called travel cubes or packing cubes or travel organizers) to carry small stuff that I'll move from pack to pack.

Lot's of styles, sizes and price points out there but I bought a set something like this and use the sizes that fit my gear: https://www.amazon.com/Packing-Organizers-Suitcase-Lightweight-Accessories/dp/B071DFS29X/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1NRVNEAG4G95K&keywords=mesh+sided+travel+cube&qid=1707756253&sprefix=mesh+sided+travel+cube,aps,136&sr=8-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1
I use similar bags. They work well.

I've seen battery pouches and card pouches but not an all in one. I use some small zippered bags I got from amazon for batteries, cleaning supplies, and tools and a card wallet for those so it's easy to grab them all and not forget things.

I just use ziplock bags and pouches I already have. Nothing fancy and the ziplock bags are see through.

I just use my computer bag to store related computer and charging gear. For instance, one ziplock bag has the Z9 charger, cords, etc. Another bag has the Z8 charger and spare end caps. A small ziplock bag for the card reader and cords and USB hub. I have a small hard case for each portable HD and its cables. All that stuff is stored in my computer bag.

The photo gear I shoot with basically separates into camera bags: Wildlife has the 100-400, f400 f4.5, teles, etc and the Z9 and spare batteries.

My other camera bag is for landscapes/architecture/etc. It has the 15mm fish, 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 and the Z8 and spare batteries.

I have a ThinkTank wallet for my CFe cards that goes into whatever camera bag I'll be using.

Shimoda has a great bag for $22. Approximately 3 1/2” x 7” x 1”, with a zipper pouch within the zippered/see through pouch. Use one for “cleaning”and spare memory cards (inner pouch), one for batteries (used batteries go in zipper pouch within/charged in outer pouch) and one for other “things!

Last edited:
I use a Peak Design Tech Pouch. It has loads of small pockets and compartments for batteries, cables etc. There is a very good website that reviews these kind of items shuttermuse.com the reviewer is a photographer himself so they are based on his use and experience. I have found his reviews on most gear excellent

For what its worth I use the Peak Design Field Pouch for this very task. I also use their Tech Pouch to keep random stuff inthat I don’t use regularly where as the Field Pouch I can quickly transfer more commonly used stuff from bag to bag.

Both are on the expensive side but I’ve always found PD very good quality and practical. Both work very well for me.

I just use ziplock bags and pouches I already have. Nothing fancy and the ziplock bags are see through.

I just use my computer bag to store related computer and charging gear. For instance, one ziplock bag has the Z9 charger, cords, etc. Another bag has the Z8 charger and spare end caps. A small ziplock bag for the card reader and cords and USB hub. I have a small hard case for each portable HD and its cables. All that stuff is stored in my computer bag.

The photo gear I shoot with basically separates into camera bags: Wildlife has the 100-400, f400 f4.5, teles, etc and the Z9 and spare batteries.

My other camera bag is for landscapes/architecture/etc. It has the 15mm fish, 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 and the Z8 and spare batteries.

I have a ThinkTank wallet for my CFe cards that goes into whatever camera bag I'll be using.
I do exactly the same! Charger, Cleaning camera and lens stuff, backup drives, power bank, memory card readers, cables and other accessory are in ziploc bags except for the drives they are in hard small case. All are in my computer bag.
For photography gear, in one bag I have the Z9 attached to the 600 mm tc with its extra batteries and some lenses cleaning stuff in addition to another lens, depending on the situation, mostly my 70-200 mm f2.8 and 1.4 tc. In my second bag, I have my Z 8, 24-70 f2.8, 105 macro, 400 mm 4.5, 180-600 , Z8 grip and batteries, some cleaning stuff. Each camera bag has a pelican case for extra cards memory cards. It works very well for me. When I am travelogue in a car, I carry all this in the same set up.

The only good aspect of the TSA hysteria after the Saudi Arabian financed hijackers took control using box cutter knives, is that has been a need for small transparent bags for travel so the TSA agents can do a visual inspection. There are bags made by Tamrac (formerly Gura Gear) and others but they tend to be deeper and I prefer thinner bags where I can see everything inside.

I have filter wallets and a memory card case and these are the two essential items that go in my bag for the day along with a spare Z9 battery. I have a separate bag that is my landscape photo one and holds items I only need for that purpose.

Back