Small hair on inside of viewfinder

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've discovered a rather irritating small hair/dust piece on the inside of one of my viewfinders (not on sensor, not on mirror).

It doesn't show up in images, or live view.

It's between the shutter cover that closes, and the actual prism.

Is there a trick to cleaning that?

Otherwise, I'm taking off the viewfinder cover and/or back cover to get at it this afternoon.

Because you said "not on the mirror", I take it it's a DSLR, not mirrorless. Dust, etc., that is clearly visible in the viewfinder of a DSLR is usually on the focusing screen either on the bottom, which can be blown off, or the top, which necessitates removing the screen. The focusing screen is at the top of the mirror box.

Because you said "not on the mirror", I take it it's a DSLR, not mirrorless. Dust, etc., that is clearly visible in the viewfinder of a DSLR is usually on the focusing screen either on the bottom, which can be blown off, or the top, which necessitates removing the screen. The focusing screen is at the top of the mirror box.

It's a D850.

You have a great point about it being on top of the focusing screen. I can see the little black spec on the sensor screen itself, but it doesn't appear to be on the bottom side facing the mirror.

What's odd is now it's shifted around a little bit now. It's slightly smaller.

I'll get a strong light on it and see if I can find out where exactly it is.

Appreciate the help.

If a little voice tells you to put away the JIS screwdriver, listen.

Removing the bottom body panel, and rear body panel of the camera isn't an issue. But I'm not going to disassemble the entire thing for one spec. For some reason the D850 has to internal screws holding on the eye piece, so it's not as simple as just taking off the plastic eye piece housing like on other models.

I'm going to do the vacuum trick on it, and if it doesn't work I'll leave it as is.

Thanks all.

Thanks @aolander. You were right on the money. I was able to pop off the spring for the focusing screen. It dropped down, and right on top of the screen was the little black spec of crap. I didn't even realize anything could be trapped there. All repaired.

Have you tried holding the camera upside down and blowing air on the screen and focusing screen? Also if you have an antistatic "gun" which I used to clean dust off slides, that might help

Back