Small Tortoishell

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
36  Small Tortoishell.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Small Tortoiseshell butterfly feeding on Blue Sea Holly in the Spanish Cantabrian Mountains --- the blue stems contain a toxic sap which can cause some individuals to have an allergenic reaction. Taken with D750 and Nikkor Micro 105mm plus 1.4 TC @ f4.2 150mm., ISO 200, 1/640 Sec. Handheld 20/07/16.

Beautiful and arty feel. Love the blue/mauve/purple stems.
Thanks Callie --- love the "arty feel" comment, could be construed as slightly perverse if taken out of context !! but I know exactly what you mean and appreciate the comment--- in fact this is a very common butterfly here in Belfast (I saw 21 in my garden last week ) but we don't get the blue sea holly growing around here, so when I saw this in Spain I grabbed it. The blues in the wing edges blend in beautifully with the sea holly's flower heads.

Thanks Callie --- love the "arty feel" comment, could be construed as slightly perverse if taken out of context !! but I know exactly what you mean and appreciate the comment--- in fact this is a very common butterfly here in Belfast (I saw 21 in my garden last week ) but we don't get the blue sea holly growing around here, so when I saw this in Spain I grabbed it. The blues in the wing edges blend in beautifully with the sea holly's flower heads.
We have the same b'flies here but the flowers are just words, so it is nice to actually see them! It is like meadows and heather ~ words that means nothing to a guys born and bred in a dry, semi desert land. I love the lacework on the wings too, just lovely!

Love the composition.
Thanks Indrajeet --- As you know, sometimes it is set up for you, you only have to press the button and pray the insect stays still ! By the way, love your posts on the Hummingbird Hawkmoth which I think Claudia misidentified as a Broad-bordered Bee Hawk (easily done). It is almost certainly the Coffee bee Hawkmoth (Cephonodes hylas).

Back