Snow Buntings

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

VTRich

Supporting Member
Marketplace
About a dozen Snow Buntings showed up at the house today and was amble to grab a few shots. Very skittish little bird. It was 5 Below, so they were probably trying to keep warm.

SnowBuntings2-2023-February-01-9-52764-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

SnowBuntings2-2023-February-01-9-52840-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

SnowBuntings2-2023-February-01-9-52849-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

Nicely captured and presented! Beautiful little birde. I saw my first ones last November but my shots are not as nice nor as close.

Thanks for the comments. It was interesting shooting these. We had some wonderful light in the early AM and I tried to grab some shots then. Even though the focus locked solidly on an eye every time, none of the AM shots were acceptably sharp. I am assuming it had something to do with the extreme cold, and maybe the snow was actually warmer than the air ? Tried with lens hood on and off, and I was certainly out in the cold long enough for the lens to acclimate. The above shots were taken towards the end of the day and it had warmed up about 20 degrees out. Still not quite as sharp as I feel they could have been, but much better than in the AM. These birds are either in the snow, or perched 50 feet up in a tree.

Back