Snow Goose Migration (Middle Creek Wildlife Management Area, PA, USA)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Soopahmahn

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The 2023 spring snow goose migration is early this year - normally there would not be activity like this at Middle Creek for another 4 weeks or so. Due to the warmer-than-usual weather this winter, it is presumed that they settled nearer to the Midatlantic coastal region than usual, and we are currently observing some of the early returns. Next stop is likely the Finger Lakes region and then on.

Current bird count is ~80,000 on Middle Creek Lake. At sunrise, as the birds warm themselves and prepare to feed, they peel off the water in large groups -- I would guess around 10-20,000 in the first waves. It is a thunderous event, as they launch out of the water within just a few seconds together. Most go out to the nearby fields for feeding, some settle back in the water and go later. This iterative process continues until the lake is largely empty of geese; they return at sunset to roost on the lake.

More information the migration, and a live lake cam, can be accessed here for the curious: https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationR...lifeManagementArea/Pages/MigrationUpdate.aspx

middle creek 23 01.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Sunrise flight.

middle creek 23 02.jpg
Gliding back down to the water en masse.

middle creek 23 05.jpg
Takeoff.

middle creek 23 03.jpg
"A roof of birds."

middle creek 23 04.jpg
Community outreach.

Hope you enjoy! I just used some Apple Photos magic to get the exposure and contrast about right, not a whole lot of tinkering in this set.

Funny story... the autofocus on my D500 seems to magically be working again... haven't touched it in months, and instinctively started back-button focusing on some near and distant subjects with my 17-55mm DX lens, and it was tracking as quickly as ever. It was consistently back-focusing with that lens, so I have to check if I ever calibrated that body/lens combination, and possibly redo the lens cal...

The 2023 spring snow goose migration is early this year - normally there would not be activity like this at Middle Creek for another 4 weeks or so. Due to the warmer-than-usual weather this winter, it is presumed that they settled nearer to the Midatlantic coastal region than usual, and we are currently observing some of the early returns. Next stop is likely the Finger Lakes region and then on.

Current bird count is ~80,000 on Middle Creek Lake. At sunrise, as the birds warm themselves and prepare to feed, they peel off the water in large groups -- I would guess around 10-20,000 in the first waves. It is a thunderous event, as they launch out of the water within just a few seconds together. Most go out to the nearby fields for feeding, some settle back in the water and go later. This iterative process continues until the lake is largely empty of geese; they return at sunset to roost on the lake.

More information the migration, and a live lake cam, can be accessed here for the curious: https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationR...lifeManagementArea/Pages/MigrationUpdate.aspx

View attachment 54050Sunrise flight.

View attachment 54051Gliding back down to the water en masse.

View attachment 54052Takeoff.

View attachment 54053"A roof of birds."

View attachment 54054Community outreach.

Hope you enjoy! I just used some Apple Photos magic to get the exposure and contrast about right, not a whole lot of tinkering in this set.

Funny story... the autofocus on my D500 seems to magically be working again... haven't touched it in months, and instinctively started back-button focusing on some near and distant subjects with my 17-55mm DX lens, and it was tracking as quickly as ever. It was consistently back-focusing with that lens, so I have to check if I ever calibrated that body/lens combination, and possibly redo the lens cal...
Avian world is really awesome. How to feed this amount of birds? #3 is o_O

Back