So many video speed/frame settings for the Z9.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Feiertag

I'm blown away by how many there are. I just want a decent quality film., at the end of the day. I shoot primarily wildlife, here in Canada.

What is your go-to setting? I appreciate any guidance regarding this category!

Sorry, not an answer, just a few thoughts.

I do shoot most of my video on my Z6ii at 4K 60p or 1080 120p, I can't shoot 4K 120p

I keep looking for the magical table that gives recommended video shooting settings for different situations but video seems to focus more on getting the "look" you want. I do think that when shooting action being able to use a faster shutter speed is important and the more fps the easier it is to slow the video down in post.

It is normal practice to shoot at a shutter speed of twice the fps in order to get smooth looking video. I have found that ND filters may be required in some situations in order to use larger apertures.

If you shoot video in different formats it may have to converted when combining multiple videos into a video timeline.

I have found that at times I have ended up having to sacrifice lots of video quality in order to share the video, especially using online methods.

Sorry, not an answer, just a few thoughts.

I do shoot most of my video on my Z6ii at 4K 60p or 1080 120p, I can't shoot 4K 120p

I keep looking for the magical table that gives recommended video shooting settings for different situations but video seems to focus more on getting the "look" you want. I do think that when shooting action being able to use a faster shutter speed is important and the more fps the easier it is to slow the video down in post.

It is normal practice to shoot at a shutter speed of twice the fps in order to get smooth looking video. I have found that ND filters may be required in some situations in order to use larger apertures.

If you shoot video in different formats it may have to converted when combining multiple videos into a video timeline.

I have found that at times I have ended up having to sacrifice lots of video quality in order to share the video, especially using online methods.

Thank you for the thoughtful comment.

It would a treat if someone took the time to do a YouTube video regarding shooting video, illustrating what setting, does what? Or one that recommends a setting or two and as to why?

Plenty of YouTube videos that discuss the main video setting choices and why. Most available video settings are common across camera brands/models and not specific to just the Z9.
Camera video settings decisions should be based on the intended final video target usage - i.e. web viewing/YouTube, etc. or edited into other videos, broadcast, etc.

4K UHD 3840x2160 and 1080 HD 1920x1080 in 16:9 format are probably the most common.
Frame rate/frames-per-second/fps, and their shutter speed recommendations are related to the often mentioned & supposedly desirable "cinematic look" and motion blur. There's videos showing the motion blur differences for different frame rates.

24fps and 30/29.97fps are common in the US when slow-motion is not planned - 60/120/240fps if wanting to create slo-mo in post-production.

Shallow DOF/better Bokeh/subject-background isolation is usually desirable for video much like stills - so wider apertures used.
Given the above a variable neutral density/VND filter of around 2-8 or 2-6 stops is needed when using slower shutter speeds with wider apertures for 24/30 fps especially in most outside daytime shooting environments. So far I've not done any slo-mo so I use 24 or 29.97fps and my VND's pretty much live on the lenses used for shooting video. Even at 60/120fps a VND probably needed.

Plenty of YouTube videos that discuss the main video setting choices and why. Most available video settings are common across camera brands/models and not specific to just the Z9.
Camera video settings decisions should be based on the intended final video target usage - i.e. web viewing/YouTube, etc. or edited into other videos, broadcast, etc.

4K UHD 3840x2160 and 1080 HD 1920x1080 in 16:9 format are probably the most common.
Frame rate/frames-per-second/fps, and their shutter speed recommendations are related to the often mentioned & supposedly desirable "cinematic look" and motion blur. There's videos showing the motion blur differences for different frame rates.

24fps and 30/29.97fps are common in the US when slow-motion is not planned - 60/120/240fps if wanting to create slo-mo in post-production.

Shallow DOF/better Bokeh/subject-background isolation is usually desirable for video much like stills - so wider apertures used.
Given the above a variable neutral density/VND filter of around 2-8 or 2-6 stops is needed when using slower shutter speeds with wider apertures for 24/30 fps especially in most outside daytime shooting environments. So far I've not done any slo-mo so I use 24 or 29.97fps and my VND's pretty much live on the lenses used for shooting video. Even at 60/120fps a VND probably needed.

Thank you for the informative reply. It was a clear explanation, that I was looking for. Cheers!

Back