Solar Chargers for Camera/Battery Recharging ?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think messing with the approved OEM battery charging system is playing with fire. There is a lot that goes into determining how you charge one of these batteries. This includes the input voltage level, the amperage. whether there is a regulatory mechanism that reduces the charge level to a trickle, etc. If you mess with the system and charge the battery wrong you could end up damaging the battery and maybe also the camera. Also what if you put a voltage spike into the camera? What will that do?

The only safe way to do this with solar charging is to charge a storage battery system with solar power and then run an inverter off of the battery system to deliver household standard AC power to the OEM charger.

these are expensive cameras and they have highly sophisticated and sensitive electronic equipment inside. You do something wrong and fry your equipment you would probably void any warranty.

I like to experiment but not with my Z9's.
I agree with @wotan1 about being careful.

I charge my laptop and camera batteries on a road trip with a small pure sine wave inverter plugged into the 12v socket of my ancient trucks dashboard. I then plug the nikon or laptop chargers into the clean 120v ac power outlet on the inverter. This seems safe to me and gives good results.

I have Bluetti home storage for power outages (ac200max, b300) which will give us several days of power for our refrigerator and internet, and I'm considering getting a small Bluetti for travel. I'm very happy with the home setup. We had 4 or 5 power outages in one year and decided we needed backup. We'll add portable solar panels at some point.

One feature I wanted in a battery setup was lithium iron phosphate vs just lithium due to it being safer from a fire standpoint. At least that's my understanding.

I'd charge the small Bluetti with the pure sine wave inverter while driving between destinations. Of course folks that have newer vehicles may have safe inverters built-in.

I'll add that the small batteries like the Bluetti are designed to be charged with solar as well, and will deliver clean power. It's a safe intermediate step.

Back