Solution to see Overexposed Highlights in a Nikon Z EVF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This might have been shared here previously, but worth a refresh in any case. Here's a neat solution using a custom Picture Control file, which was shared on dpr close to 2 years ago. It should work on any Zed camera, and obviously will show if a blinky(ies) rears its head when shooting RAW

For some reason I had to import and export the shared Picture Control file in the Nikon PC Utility in order for my Z9 (FW3.01) to recognize the file on the card. [EDIT: launch the Picture Control Utility 2 from within NX Studio; in the File Menu. Import into PC 2 with a control bottom-left, and then 'Save to Card']

To see WYSIWYG exposure in the Z9 EVF, in Custom Menu make sure d9 is set to show Effects of Settings, and d10 must be OFF.

link to the PC file and context is here
Thanks for posting this -- it's the first I've heard of this file and it's capabilities. I've uploaded it to my Z8 and Z9 and I think I'm going to like this faster way (vs histogram) to see blown highlights. :) Neat stuff!

So how does this work with ones workflow. I assume the RAW won't show this for example in Fast Raw Viewer, but the jpg will in any program. If you import into Lightroom with Camera settings I assume the blinks will show and you'll have to import with a preset that doesn't apply them? Is this true?

So how does this work with ones workflow. I assume the RAW won't show this for example in Fast Raw Viewer, but the jpg will in any program. If you import into Lightroom with Camera settings I assume the blinks will show and you'll have to import with a preset that doesn't apply them? Is this true?
This is a RAW only picture profile. Any jpeg will show the blinkies. It looks like a normal RAW file when imported to lightroom

Thank you very much. I’ve downloaded it for my Z9 and I think it’s much useful than the histogram.
I've been using and recommending this for raw shooters since March of 2022. No reason to not shoot with this, EVER, IMO.

This is based on the flat PC profile. So as anyone wanting to shoot jpeg, you likely wouldn't want to shoot on flat anyway and would just switch to standards or whatever you'd normally shoot

Makes it virtually impossible to flub exposure with any highlights like white fur or feathers ect.

Back