Some slowdown with D5 and mismatched CFe cards?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have mismatched CFe cards in my D5, a Delkin Prime 64 GB and Prograde gold 256GB. And I usually have it set for raw to the Delkin and JPEG to the Prograde, since the Delkin is the faster card.
But, I notice some serious slowdown in general operation of the camera, not burst or buffer related. Like, switching to live view isn't instant, and instead takes 3 or 4 seconds. Same with opening playback or menu at times. It really just hinders :/
Anyone else experience this? I swapped cards into different slots and still notice the same. Doesn't seem to be an issue with writing cards, because it happens when not even burst shooting.

Or because mismatched brands, or perhaps one of them just doesn't play nice in a D5.

Haven't had a chance to use my D5 in a couple weeks because I know the obvious answer is to try and go shooting with only one card inserted and see if the problem still persists. But curious if others have noticed this with different cards / mismatched cards.

Thanks!

note:
I'm partial to Delkin because I've seen tests of them that measure temperature and they always run consistently cooler than other CFe cards. And I've never once pulled the card out of the camera nor reader and had it feel actually hot, only just warm to the touch. So I do like Delkins for that aspect.

If you set the camera to operate with no card, and remove both cards, do the issues go away? If not, how could the cards be to blame?

If you set the camera to operate with no card, and remove both cards, do the issues go away? If not, how could the cards be to blame?

Forgot to add in, when first turning the camera on, everything works perfectly and instantly. It's like once it's been on for a short bit, take a few photos here and there, single shots, that's where the slowdowns start. Both cards show 300-400 MB/s read and write speeds using slower USB 3.0 connection on my computer, which seems right. IDK, but I can say when first turning the camera and cycling between menu, playback, and live view, it's perfect. Just once it's been on and a few shots here and there, that's when it starts slowing.

You could also experiment with putting in the faster card only and writing both raw and jpeg there. Does this fix the problem? If not, you can't blame mismatched cards.

The way Nikon’s buffer works is that an individual image only clear the buffer when it has been written two both cards if this is what you have selected. So anytime you choose to save more than 1 type of file or saving back up you will more than likely slow the fps down sooner than if you only write one in one format.

The way Nikon’s buffer works is that an individual image only clear the buffer when it has been written two both cards if this is what you have selected. So anytime you choose to save more than 1 type of file or saving back up you will more than likely slow the fps down sooner than if you only write one in one format.
makes sense. But this isn't exclusively burst/buffer related

I only use the second card for rollover or for video so do not have timing issues with the camera trying to write simultaneously to two memory cards. I see no reason to have JPG files go to a different card than the Raw files.

Back