Somebody at Promedia Gear watches Steve's videos (almost)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

FB101

Ok, I splurged as I wanted to replace my 30 year old manfrotto aluminium monopod with something lighter. I also wanted to be able to do the head swap that Steve describes in his videos. So I started looking around at what was available from Gitzo, Manfrotto and others and came across ProMedia Gear which really I didn't know much about.

The gear is well made and super light but what I liked is that they are the only ones to offer a monopod with the built-in Arca Swiss clamp, saving me from adding the RRS adapter. And they even have 2 sizes, I ordered 81 inches which gives me plenty of height (I am 6'0) to angle the monopod for stability. The Wimberley MH-100 fits perfectly in that clamp, nice and tight.
A Gitzo or RRS monopod with the RRS adapter comes in at over $200 more so it's not exactly insignificant.

So why almost? Well, they don't offer the clamp with quick-release lever... seems quite a bit of an oversight when they got it 99% right but the screw clamp will work well enough for my purpose but it's just not quite as reliable and fast.

If you are thinking about a monopod set-up like Steve's, check this one out - it's not 100% equivalent but it comes very close, with great quality for significantly less.

TR42ML-Monopod_1080x.jpg

Pro Media Gear is a premium manufacturer - equivalent to Really Right Stuff for many items. The designs are quite innovative with an emphasis on high quality, light weight and compact size. They are made in the US and known for good service.

Thanks for posting!

Pro Media Gear is a premium manufacturer - equivalent to Really Right Stuff for many items. The designs are quite innovative with an emphasis on high quality, light weight and compact size. They are made in the US and known for good service.

Thanks for posting!

I have been exploring their catalog and I agree, they definitely have interesting products at quite attractive prices. I always feel very conflicted because RRS has some of the very best gear out there but I just hate the idea of providing the owner with profits he can use to funds causes I strongly object to (conversely, I completely get that for people sharing his views the motivation is strongly favorable, each is free to vote with their wallet as they please); so it seems to me ProMedia Gear might become my new go-to US source of great equipment.

I know it's not related to the monopod, but just another plug for PMG:

I have two of their "universal" L-brackets, one each for my gripped D500 and gripped D300. I went with them over RRS or Kirk because I didn't like the way it looked like you'd have to fight to get the rubber covers open if you want to tether or if you forgot your card reader at home and had to download via USB. I haven't used them, just my perception. PMG's universal L-brackets slide in and out, so you can leave a space for a USB cable...or remove the L entirely if you want. And the L part has a spot for a magnetically-secured Allen wrench so you don't have to carry one separately.

But back to the monopod...wish I'd seen this 6 months ago when I upgraded my old aluminum to a new carbon fiber!

I went with them over RRS or Kirk because I didn't like the way it looked like you'd have to fight to get the rubber covers open if you want to tether . . . PMG's universal L-brackets slide in and out, so you can leave a space for a USB cable...or remove the L entirely if you want. And the L part has a spot for a magnetically-secured Allen wrench so you don't have to carry one separately.

Also a feature of the fabulous SmallRig L brackets! And yes, it makes life so much easier.

I have the Gitzo GM4552L with the Kirk tilt head (arca swiss). Light, sturdy and been very happy with it (I use it with my D850 + 200-500 mm). Tightening with a screw is completely ok.. won't budge or loosen up within a day or a week, but I tighten it with every chance I get to be on the safe side. It does come with safety screws.

The Pro Media Gear seems sturdy.. but one thing would be a no go for me, the head doesn't tilt?! and the foot is also fixed? what good is that..?

I have the Gitzo GM4552L with the Kirk tilt head (arca swiss). Light, sturdy and been very happy with it (I use it with my D850 + 200-500 mm). Tightening with a screw is completely ok.. won't budge or loosen up within a day or a week, but I tighten it with every chance I get to be on the safe side. It does come with safety screws.

The Pro Media Gear seems sturdy.. but one thing would be a no go for me, the head doesn't tilt?! and the foot is also fixed? what good is that..?
The Arca clamp is to easily mount / unmount a tilting head - I wouldn’t mount the lens directly to it (I guess you can if you are a soccer photographer and all the action has limited vertical range but for wildlife it’s not workable).

SometIke’s there is compatibility issues with lever clamps and some plates. Acratech does lever clamps. But also has a width adjustment to accommodate variations

Several lever clamps have the ability to adjust tension to accommodate small differences in plates. The problem with this idea is that if you have plates from different sources that vary slightly, it's not practical to adjust tension for several different plates each time you mount a new lens or camera. Plates can have different angles for the dovetails, and depending on the finish, can have coatings or paint that wear and change the original fit. Whichever approach you use, try to limit plates to just one or two manufacturers that maintain the same angle, width, and coating across all plates.

I use RRS lever clamps on my ballheads, and RRS screw type clamps on my monopod and Black Rapid straps. I generally stick with RRS plates and brackets, but have a couple of Kirk and Wimberley plates for specific situations. All are anodized and fit nicely with a common dovetail shape.

If you watch sports, some photographers attach the lens directly to the monopod, no tilt head, gimbal head, etc. The A-S clamp allows you to do that quickly or quickly attach a Mono-gimbal head, tilt head, etc. as most have A-S bases or plates.

About a year ago I needed a new tripod and went with ProMediaGear, TR344L Pro-Stix 71" inch Carbon Fiber Tripod w/ 34mm diameter legs 4-Section . Could not be happier. Great build quality and made in USA. Customer service is also TOPS. I had ordered a leveling head also and was missing an additional plate for adaption, they called me just to check if it was intentional, they were able to get the package before it went out and added my item and shipped out the same day.

If you watch sports, some photographers attach the lens directly to the monopod, no tilt head, gimbal head, etc. The A-S clamp allows you to do that quickly or quickly attach a Mono-gimbal head, tilt head, etc. as most have A-S bases or plates.
Sure, for sports it would work, since the players are all on the same level / the field.. but for wildlife and particularly birds, photographing at angles is quite useful.. tilting the tripod to achieve that would be quite risky. The Kirk head I used is A-S 👍 the only downside is the added weight..

I can tell you first hand Pro Media Gear makes Premium Quality equipment and it's made in USA Orland Park IL a South Suburb of Chicago I live near them they use a lot of Aircraft Aluminum in their products a solid engineering and innovative company. I have their Katana Gimbal Head that operates smooth as silk and their customer service is great

Hi, I’m interested in buying that monopod (combining with MH-100 monogimbal). The only thing that stops me is that it seems like there’s no option to screw a foot stabiliser (such as DOCZ2 by 3lt), unlike in GM4552L by Gitzo (my second choice). Am I wrong or this feature is really not exist in TR42ML? If so, would you consider the lack of option to add a foot stabiliser as a deal breaker?

Last edited:
Hi, I’m interested in buying that monopod (combining with wh-100 monogimbal). The only thing that stops me is that it seems like there’s no option to screw a foot stabiliser (such as DOCZ2 by 3lt), unlike in GM4552L by Gitzo (my second choice). Am I wrong or this feature is really not exist in TR42ML? If so, would you consider the lack of option to add a foot stabiliser as a deal breaker?
Looks like there are threaded center holes in the rubber feet as the description shows spikes screwed into them. I don't think many monopod users use a foot stabilizer except maybe videographers.

Hi, I’m interested in buying that monopod (combining with wh-100 monogimbal). The only thing that stops me is that it seems like there’s no option to screw a foot stabiliser (such as DOCZ2 by 3lt), unlike in GM4552L by Gitzo (my second choice). Am I wrong or this feature is really not exist in TR42ML? If so, would you consider the lack of option to add a foot stabiliser as a deal breaker?
I would not consider that accessory as a deal breaker but the Gitzo is a good choice as well. The DOCZ2 is not for typical use and provides marginal stability. ProMedia Gear does make high quality products and provides excellent support. I think you can remove the foot on the monopod of the ProMedia Gear monopod, but you could always call them or email them to ask questions.

I would not consider that accessory as a deal breaker but the Gitzo is a good choice as well. The DOCZ2 is not for typical use and provides marginal stability. ProMedia Gear does make high quality products and provides excellent support. I think you can remove the foot on the monopod of the ProMedia Gear monopod, but you could always call them or email them to ask questions.

There is a threaded hole for spikes in the foot of the PMG monopod but no idea if it will accommodate the DOC Z2

Hi, I’m interested in buying that monopod (combining with MH-100 monogimbal). The only thing that stops me is that it seems like there’s no option to screw a foot stabiliser (such as DOCZ2 by 3lt), unlike in GM4552L by Gitzo (my second choice). Am I wrong or this feature is really not exist in TR42ML? If so, would you consider the lack of option to add a foot stabiliser as a deal breaker?
According to Promediagear website spikes are 3/8x16 thread your docz2 comes with 1/4x20 thread with an included adapter to 3/8x16 , so it should screw in once you remove the spike.

Back