Sometimes luck is better than skill

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was photographing the blue eyed Mary wildflowers along this creek bottom land. As I was laying in the trail, I heard ruffling of wings overhead. When I looked up a pileated woodpecker (later verified female due to black strip on side of face instead of red stripe) landed about 15 yards ahead of me on a fallen tree branch that was surrounded by the wildflowers. I was able to fire off a burst of photos before it hopped behind a tree, poked around a bit and then flew off into the woods. Since I was laying prone in the mud taking the photos of the flowers, I don't think the woodpecker ever saw me or if she did, she didn't see me as a threat or object of concern. Wish she would have turned her head a bit so her face wasn't in the shadows but I'll take it!
Jeff

_T3A2968.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I was photographing the blue eyed Mary wildflowers along this creek bottom land. As I was laying in the trail, I heard ruffling of wings overhead. When I looked up a pileated woodpecker (later verified female due to black strip on side of face instead of red stripe) landed about 15 yards ahead of me on a fallen tree branch that was surrounded by the wildflowers. I was able to fire off a burst of photos before it hopped behind a tree, poked around a bit and then flew off into the woods. Since I was laying prone in the mud taking the photos of the flowers, I don't think the woodpecker ever saw me or if she did, she didn't see me as a threat or object of concern. Wish she would have turned her head a bit so her face wasn't in the shadows but I'll take it!
Jeff

View attachment 58871
Jeff, what a beautiful bird.

& luck favors the prepared.

Oliver

Back