Sometimes the wildlife comes to you

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Is that handheld? If so the SI is spectacular. Is that an average result? I'm getting more and more into video over stills and trying to learn more about combatting the IS jitters.

Is that handheld? If so the SI is spectacular. Is that an average result? I'm getting more and more into video over stills and trying to learn more about combatting the IS jitters.
Thanks! Yes handheld! I bought the Z8/Z9 to do more video and will sometimes use a tripod but more often not have time tp set it up (or have brought a tripod) so will do handheld. Several "tricks", shoot slow mo video (the jumps don't look as bad) and try to brace yourself. Also in post processing one can run stabilization programs.
PS. Many other examples of video I took with the Z8/Z9 are on my flickr site in my video album (the last dozen or so were taken with the Z8/Z9). Another example

thanks, good tips. I'm shooting on a Cano R5 and the videos are difficult to edit in the higher quality formats, I think I need to step up my editing game and learn better software to improve my outcomes.

I have heard that the Nikon is noticeably better at stabilizing handheld video- any insight on if that's true? Or do you find yourself stabilizing in post fairly often anyway

thanks, good tips. I'm shooting on a Cano R5 and the videos are difficult to edit in the higher quality formats, I think I need to step up my editing game and learn better software to improve my outcomes.

I have heard that the Nikon is noticeably better at stabilizing handheld video- any insight on if that's true? Or do you find yourself stabilizing in post fairly often anyway
Sorry don't know how Canon or Sony compare. I just use iMovie but many others use Davinci Resolve.

Hi Sadie!
Welcome to the forums!
There are at least two of us besides you who shoot Canon R5 video and post sometimes.
Myself and Rudy Pohl. Rudy is way more experienced in video than I and a very helpful, friendly fellow. But I am learning more every day.
Good Luck and don't be afraid to post your videos and ask questions.
Dave

Hi Sadie!
Welcome to the forums!
There are at least two of us besides you who shoot Canon R5 video and post sometimes.
Myself and Rudy Pohl. Rudy is way more experienced in video than I and a very helpful, friendly fellow. But I am learning more every day.
Good Luck and don't be afraid to post your videos and ask questions.
Dave
Dave, What program do you use to edit Canon video? And what is a "higher quality format" in Canon? Just curious, I know several Canon shooters who also are interested in doing more video.

Dave, What program do you use to edit Canon video? And what is a "higher quality format" in Canon? Just curious, I know several Canon shooters who also are interested in doing more video.
Ricardo,
I changed to DaVinchi Resolve free version maybe 2-3 months ago or so.
I had been using Adobe Elements Premier previously.
I am liking Resolve a lot. As many say, a bit of a learning curve.
It was Sadie who said higher quality format, but I assume she is talking either 4k or 8k video in lieu of 720 or 1080.
Dave

Ricardo,
I changed to DaVinchi Resolve free version maybe 2-3 months ago or so.
I had been using Adobe Elements Premier previously.
I am liking Resolve a lot. As many say, a bit of a learning curve.
It was Sadie who said higher quality format, but I assume she is talking either 4k or 8k video in lieu of 720 or 1080.
Dave
Thanks Dave. Yep, not sure that the processing for Canon versus Nikon is that different? And Nikon has, as far as I know, as high quality format as Canon, if not higher. Personally I once tried Raw and DaVinci Resolve but decided that wasn't for me! So pretty much stick to 4K where the Nikon can still shoot 120 fps, which I think is very useful for handheld video to reduce the effects of camera movement. One of these days I will go back to DaVinci Resolve but am usually too lazy to deal with learning a new program.

Thanks Dave. Yep, not sure that the processing for Canon versus Nikon is that different? And Nikon has, as far as I know, as high quality format as Canon, if not higher. Personally I once tried Raw and DaVinci Resolve but decided that wasn't for me! So pretty much stick to 4K where the Nikon can still shoot 120 fps, which I think is very useful for handheld video to reduce the effects of camera movement. One of these days I will go back to DaVinci Resolve but am usually too lazy to deal with learning a new program.
I have never processed anything but Canon, but pretty sure they are similar. I think Nikon, Sony and Canon all 3 have very high quality video, way above my skills. I love 120 fps for Bald Eagles in flight. Davinci Resolve has really impressed me with its stabilization. Much better than what I previously used. I just posted a video of Belted kingfishers on this forum that was hand held with 800mm in crop mode. 59.96 fps at equal to 1280 mm, and I think for hand held it looks good. iMovie might be the same, never used it. I agree on not wanting to learn new if what I have is working.

I have never processed anything but Canon, but pretty sure they are similar. I think Nikon, Sony and Canon all 3 have very high quality video, way above my skills. I love 120 fps for Bald Eagles in flight. Davinci Resolve has really impressed me with its stabilization. Much better than what I previously used. I just posted a video of Belted kingfishers on this forum that was hand held with 800mm in crop mode. 59.96 fps at equal to 1280 mm, and I think for hand held it looks good. iMovie might be the same, never used it. I agree on not wanting to learn new if what I have is working.
If I understood correctly from someone's post in another thread, the free version of DaVinci Resolve cannot process the 120 fps video?

If I understood correctly from someone's post in another thread, the free version of DaVinci Resolve cannot process the 120 fps video?

It worked for me today. I read that this morning and tried a 120 fps video I had shot previously. I loaded it in Resolve fine, and I exported it fine from Resolve free edition. On my Canon R5, when I shoot 120fps 4k, it puts it on a 30 fps timeline, automatically slowing it down to 1/4 speed. Maybe some of the other brands don't do that, I don't own them and don't know. What fps timeline do your Nikon 120fps videos go to and do you have options?

It worked for me today. I read that this morning and tried a 120 fps video I had shot previously. I loaded it in Resolve fine, and I exported it fine from Resolve free edition. On my Canon R5, when I shoot 120fps 4k, it puts it on a 30 fps timeline, automatically slowing it down to 1/4 speed. Maybe some of the other brands don't do that, I don't own them and don't know. What fps timeline do your Nikon 120fps videos go to and do you have options?
On iMovie, it does what you describe with Resolve. I can also reset the speed. Or do a 1/2 speed. Weird, maybe they are talking about Raw?

Back