Sony 300 f2.8 GM

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I’m curious if anyone ordered the lens? The combo thread has been all about the camera and it looks like a few of us ordered one but haven’t heard anyone ordered the lens.

I'm thinking about it, not sure if that counts. My problem is 300mm isn't a range I use often and, when I do, it's often fleeting (like with a zoom-lens scenario). I love the idea of a 300 2.8, I just don't know if I love having $6000 a bit more.

I'm thinking about it, not sure if that counts. My problem is 300mm isn't a range I use often and, when I do, it's often fleeting (like with a zoom-lens scenario). I love the idea of a 300 2.8, I just don't know if I love having $6000 a bit more.
Yeah when I had my Nikon system I had a 300f2.8 and it was just to short. Since I’ve got the 70-200f2.8 GMII and the 100-400GM and the 400GM and the 600GM lol I think I’ll pass. The size is tempting but I’d rather spend the $6k on a new body to play with future tech. Figured some of it will make it into the next a1 which is what I really have my eye on.

I'm certainly tempted. A 300mm lens is more challenging to use for most wildlife but I like the perspective of this focal length, it's obviously more portable and hand-holdable than most longer lenses, and TC compatibility is a big plus.

I've been using the Sony 100-400 GM for a number of years; optically it's a fine lens by itself but with the 1.4 TC I'm not thrilled with the image quality, and even with the loose zoom resistance setting zooming is stiffer than my arthritic hand can use easily. One feature the 100-400 has that the 300 GM doesn't is a closer MFD. The question I'm asking my self is trade the 100-400 for the 300, or keep it?

I ordered it and am super excited. I had the 70-200 f2.8 and used it a lot with 2x converter and results were excellent. I am counting on that being the case with this lens too so that when needed I'll have 900mm at f5.6 using A7rV in crop mode. Will probably much more often use with 1.4 x TC giving me 630mm f4 again using the a7RV in crop mode. Or I'll shoot it at f2.8 using crop mode and have 450mm. For my type of shooting all of this works very well. My yard is dark and I need this fast glass. :) Am so happy they came out with this lens. :)

Yeah when I had my Nikon system I had a 300f2.8 and it was just to short. Since I’ve got the 70-200f2.8 GMII and the 100-400GM and the 400GM and the 600GM lol I think I’ll pass. The size is tempting but I’d rather spend the $6k on a new body to play with future tech. Figured some of it will make it into the next a1 which is what I really have my eye on.
+1

A friend of mine ordered. He currently has 600GM, 200-600 and 70-200II. When he travels to Africa etc he never wants to travel with the 600GM so this 300/2.8 will give him a higher quality prime to travel with...using TCs as required.

I'm tempted by it but I'm just not a fan of the TCs and I know I'd have to use this 300GM with TCs a lot. But it would be a great compact 600 f/5.6...very similar size and weight to the Nikon 600PF. I used to own Canon 300II alongside the 600II and I did like having it (only sold it to replace with the 400DOII as again I didn't use it at 300 enough).
But since I own the 400GM, I think for now I'll be skipping this lens. Still is a remarkable achievement in size and weight for Sony and if the TC performance is good then it is a winner.

I ordered one 😊 low light coupled with some hide work when shooting through glass lights always a challenge, looking forward to using this with 1.4 and x2 extenders as light weight options.

The weight is amazing - same as my Nikon Z 70-200 f2.8 . If I had the money I would be tempted to get one to use instead of 70-200 most of the time (for low light). But I don't have the money and don't want to add a second system (I actually did have a Sony to use with 200-600 but sold it along with F gear when I went to Z8).

If Nikon made one, I would be highly tempted as a lightweight versatile lens with both the 1.4x and 2x TC's which gives you 3 lenses in one, a 300 f2.8, 420 f4 and 600 f5.6. As Rik and Doug have stated above, good for travel and hiking and just having it the bag for everyday use anyway as it is so light.

I used to own the Nikon 300 f2.8G VRII which had superb IQ and used it with the 1.4x TCIII, 1.7x TCII and 2x TCIII with great results. The new Z mount and ML system would allow for better results, no DSLR AF anomalies.

I would not normally consider a 300mm lens, since I use either 25 to 50mm or 500 to 800mm, and 300mm falls centre in the gap inbetween.
But what has changed my mind, is that the first (pre) reviews praise the very high resolving power of the 300GM and mention the surprisingly good performance with the 2xTC (sharpness wise).
Add to that the surprisingly low weight, and the 300GM could be a very portable, high quality 420/4 (for which I am sure I will find uses when light is lowish) and 600/5.6 lens.

I don't expect miracles from this lens with the 2xTC, but when the source lens is as good as the 300GM is, virtually no CA, very high contrast and very high resolution, and has a generous f2.8 aperture, I would be surprised if the results are disappointing. I expect the weakest performance for more distant subjects, where a lens like the 600GM is exceptional, so shooting rather distant subjects and rely on cropping will be a recipe for poor images, but for all else, I would expect it to work out really well.

WOW!

IMG_0410.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It's not surprising that they are similar in size. The 300 f2.8 + 2x TC is a larger diameter and the 600 pf would have a similar diameter if it were an f5.6 lens. 300/2.8 = 107mm - 600/5.6 = 107mm.

This makes me really wish the Nikon PF was an f/5.6, I know all the arguments that it doesn't really matter but it does to me, but wishing does not make reality. If the Sony holds up with a 2x TC that could really be a fantastic option for those who could use the shorter focal length and larger aperture.
I am with you there. People were, in general, greatly exagerating the possible size and weight of a Nikon 600PF f5.6, but that was suspiciously like a way to simply justify Nikon's choice for a max f6.3 aperture, as it goes.
But Nikon's choice was much more arbitrary than that, and f5.6 would have been an even greater lens than the f6.3 one that made it into production.

I am not sure the Sony 300GM will be as able as the Nikon Z600PF, limited perhaps mostly at distance rendering by the 2xTC. Still, the Sony looks very promising.

I keep looking at a Z9 600mm PF and getting rid of my A1 200-600 now Sony release this 300mm f2.8 , hoping they release something like the 600 PF . I tried and loved the 600mm f4 GM , speed and optically spot on but it would be nice to have something more compact for my walks . I'd get this 300 but don't know how good it is for action using the TC's

I keep looking at a Z9 600mm PF and getting rid of my A1 200-600 now Sony release this 300mm f2.8 , hoping they release something like the 600 PF . I tried and loved the 600mm f4 GM , speed and optically spot on but it would be nice to have something more compact for my walks . I'd get this 300 but don't know how good it is for action using the TC's
Alex Phan sure seems to think it’s good. From his jpegs he’s posting I’m impressed.

Alex Phan sure seems to think it’s good. From his jpegs he’s posting I’m impressed.
Alex always posts good quality photos no matter what gear he’s using . The peacock and larger birds with the 300 x2 look great . If this lens with the x2 betters the 200-600 at 600mm for focus and IQ that would be more appealing for a greater audience. It would be perfect for me .

No matter how good the Sony 2x is (and IMHO it isn’t that great due to inconsistent AF), there is no way it will hold a candle to a native 600PF when it comes to IQ and especially AF.
Luckily my friend ordered a 300 GM so at least I can test it with TCs myself.
Please let us know your findings, you can be trusted to give an unbiased opinion.

Back