Sony 300 f2.8 GM

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This post prompted me to look at my images from a photo safari in Botswana taken in 2015. My longest lens was a Nikon 300mm f2.8. I used it mostly without a 1.4x tc. on a full frame Nikon body. I had a second full frame body that had a 70-200mm f4 on it. When the animals were close enough, the images from the 300mm f2.8 were just wonderful. My conclusion after reviewing all of the images is that if I were to take this trip again, my long lens would be my 500mm f5.6 pf or a lens like a 180-600mm or a 600mm pf.

I use the 300mm f2.8 today for raptor shoots of captive birds where I can get close and the f2.8 really helps in controlling backgrounds or for similar situations.

If Nikon were to come out with a Z mount 300mm f2.8 at $6000, I would not buy it. I cannot justify that price for a lens with "specialized" uses. However if Nikon came out with a Z mount 300mm f4 pf priced attractively, I would likely buy it.

No matter how good the Sony 2x is (and IMHO it isn’t that great due to inconsistent AF), there is no way it will hold a candle to a native 600PF when it comes to IQ and especially AF.
Luckily my friend ordered a 300 GM so at least I can test it with TCs myself.

I'm not expecting the 300 GM + 2x TC combo to rival the 600 GM, I'm interested is seeing how it compares with the 200-600 G as a lighter-weight hiking lens. I've done longer hikes with the 600 GM but its weight and size limited the other stuff I could carry.

No matter how good the Sony 2x is (and IMHO it isn’t that great due to inconsistent AF), there is no way it will hold a candle to a native 600PF when it comes to IQ and especially AF.
Totally agree regards the x 2 , when I borrowed my friends 600mm f4 GM I tried my x1.4 and his x2 . The x2 definitely had noticeable IQ degradation and focus inconsistency . It will be interesting to hear how you find it though , at least you'll put it through its paces .
I'd love a Nikon 600mm PF , I could get used to a Z9 but admit do like the A1

Please let us know your findings, you can be trusted to give an unbiased opinion.
Did you ever post a comparison of 300 F2.8 + x2.0 vs 600PF?

Did you ever post a comparison of 300 F2.8 + x2.0 vs 600PF?
I never got to try a 600PF. The 300GM/2xTC is the first time I've really been satisfied with the AF and IQ of the 2xTC. Especially the AF and the in focus hit rate.
I did get to try the Z8 on latest FW and the 400/4.5 lens and after that I concluded I'm still not satisfied with the Z8/Z9 to replace my A1 so I will be getting a 300GM instead.
Once I saw how good the 300GM works with TCs I was confident to use it as a smaller lens instead of jumping into a Z8/600PF.

Just got one myself and taking it to Botswana for a workout. Plan to use it at 300 and 420 but I might try it with a 2X just to see (I'll have the 600GM with me, so I'm more likely to use that :) )

Just got one myself and taking it to Botswana for a workout. Plan to use it at 300 and 420 but I might try it with a 2X just to see (I'll have the 600GM with me, so I'm more likely to use that :) )
You might find that the (lack of) weight advantage outweighs the negligible loss of image quality, except at f/4 ;) and the 2 meter MFD can be very handy.

I got the 300mm a couple months ago. I do a decent amount of shooting in city parks where it’s a perfect focal length. Even better, that's the lowest light photography I typically do. I don't mind the narrower aperture when I add TCs for my other locations because it's in more wide open spaces.

I hurt my wrist recently, so the lower weight has been much appreciated vs the 200-600 mm. Image quality with the 2X TC seems at least as good as with the 200-600 at 600 mm, but I don't do a lot of super tight portraits where I want every micron of detail.

It's kind of a perfect fit for me:
- 300 mm is a nice sweet spot for urban coytes
- When I'm shooting outside the city, almost all my shots are at 600 mm, so I get the same quality and 1/3 a stop more light as an added bonus.
- The 100-400 is also a manageable weight, but f/2.8 is much better than f/5.6 for early morning in a wooded area.

When I'm driving around big parks, I'll usually have the 300 mm + 2x TC on one body and the 100-400 mm on another body so that I have an option for more environmental shots. When I'm on foot, I have to choose ahead of time and usually go with the 300 mm + 2x TC.

Here are some results at 300 mm:

Forum 2024-04-06 Golden Gate Park 0035 Coyote.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Forum 2024-04-06 Golden Gate Park 0052 Coyote.jpg
Forum 2024-04-06 Golden Gate Park 0117 Coyote.jpg

And at 420 mm with the 1.4x TC. I felt a bit silly about these because I used the 1.4x instead of the 2x to get a bit more light, and then didn't bump the aperture down from f/5.6 to f/4. Sigh...

Forum 2024-03-16 Point Reyes 0047 UNKNOWN.jpg
Forum 2024-03-16 Point Reyes 0022 UNKNOWN.jpg

And finally at 600 mm with the 2X TC

Forum 2024-04-22 Point Reyes DSC06043 UNKNOWN.jpg

Forum 2024-03-26 Point Reyes 0894 UNKNOWN.jpg

Forum 2024-04-14 Point Reyes 0100 UNKNOWN.jpg

it looks like a great lens. I've been tempted to grab one to pair with my Z9 since Nikon doesn't have a modern 300 2.8 (yet)

the fact that is both fast (2.8) and lightweight (3lbs) makes it attractive as a walk around owling lens. often times I am shooting my 400TC at stupid speeds like f2.8, 1/25, ISO 12K+ and it's annoying to always use a monopod or tripod. the 300 would make it much more flexible.

I think a 3lb 300 2.8 with a 6.5lb 600 f4 would be a good two lens prime combo

however, from testing with my friend's 300GM, the AF is pretty bad when adapted to Nikon. it really wasn't suitable for BIF. it's also pretty expensive as a niche lens for wildlife, when it would be a much better full time sports lens

I also bought this lens a few weeks ago, but the weather here in Northern Ireland has been so wet and cloudy I have't yet had many opportunities to get out with it. On the limited trips so far plus some indoor testing I am very happy to have sold my 400mm f2.8 to finance this purchase--plus it gave me some extra money to put towards a new a1 mk ll or a 9lll.
Focus aquisition ( small spot) with the bare lens and with a 1.4 TC on an a1 is astonishingly fast and also very rapid with the x2 TC. Sharpness on the bare lens @300mm is excellent at f2.8 but even better when stopped down to f4, f5.6 and even f8 ! With the 1.4TC @ 420mm sharpness is excellent at f4 but outstanding at f5.6 and with the x2 TC @ 600mm very good at f5.6 and excellent at f8.
The auto focus ability is excellent too with the bare lens and the 1.4 TC but is very slightly less quick with the x2 TC but would probably improve if the lens was used on a tripod or monopod, which would also assist the composition framing.
Overall my decision to ditch the 400mm f2.8 is easily compensated by the fact this 300mm f2.8 lens plus 1.4Tc gives me equivalent sharpness to the bare 400 albeit a stop down, but this combo (a1 +300 +1.4TC) is far more portable, easy to hand hold, means I can get more lenses and kit into my flight bag, gives me (with the x2 TC) a chance to get 600mm at f5.6, is better in really low light to shoot close subjects hand held in great detail and has left me with some surplus "dinero" too boot.
Selling the 400 was tough as it is a beautiful lens, but I really only used it for hide work on trips to the Continent , especialy Spain, so economically I wasn't getting the full value out of it-- the 300mm will be my companion lens for hiking along with either the 100-400 or the 90mm Macro in a holster. I do have the 200-600, which is a great lens for the money, but I was really only using it at 600mm, so to carry the 300 + x2 TC will give me a better than equivalent option and at a lighter weight too.
One other observation is that the much applauded balance of the 300 on a small body is actually enhanced with either of the two TC's as the extra (small weight ) at the back end makes the combo feel even more "front end light " and great for panning.
This is a "fun", although not cheap, lens to use with great flexibility covering three distances, has great "bokeh" and subject separation, especially at 300 mm and will encourage me to improve my field work skills to get closer to the subject (within reason) to fill the frame.
Coupled with the Sony a9lll this would be a dream speed machine for Kingfishers, Humming birds, small BIF and also butterflies and Dragon flies etc.
Now I wonder what I will do about my second a1 body ???

I got the 300mm a couple months ago. I do a decent amount of shooting in city parks where it’s a perfect focal length. Even better, that's the lowest light photography I typically do. I don't mind the narrower aperture when I add TCs for my other locations because it's in more wide open spaces.

I hurt my wrist recently, so the lower weight has been much appreciated vs the 200-600 mm. Image quality with the 2X TC seems at least as good as with the 200-600 at 600 mm, but I don't do a lot of super tight portraits where I want every micron of detail.

It's kind of a perfect fit for me:
- 300 mm is a nice sweet spot for urban coytes
- When I'm shooting outside the city, almost all my shots are at 600 mm, so I get the same quality and 1/3 a stop more light as an added bonus.
- The 100-400 is also a manageable weight, but f/2.8 is much better than f/5.6 for early morning in a wooded area.

When I'm driving around big parks, I'll usually have the 300 mm + 2x TC on one body and the 100-400 mm on another body so that I have an option for more environmental shots. When I'm on foot, I have to choose ahead of time and usually go with the 300 mm + 2x TC.

Here are some results at 300 mm:

View attachment 88002

View attachment 88003View attachment 88004

And at 420 mm with the 1.4x TC. I felt a bit silly about these because I used the 1.4x instead of the 2x to get a bit more light, and then didn't bump the aperture down from f/5.6 to f/4. Sigh...

View attachment 88007View attachment 88006

And finally at 600 mm with the 2X TC

View attachment 88008
View attachment 88009
View attachment 88010
Awesome set! Beautiful! 👍👍👍👍

I also bought this lens a few weeks ago, but the weather here in Northern Ireland has been so wet and cloudy I have't yet had many opportunities to get out with it. On the limited trips so far plus some indoor testing I am very happy to have sold my 400mm f2.8 to finance this purchase--plus it gave me some extra money to put towards a new a1 mk ll or a 9lll.
Focus aquisition ( small spot) with the bare lens and with a 1.4 TC on an a1 is astonishingly fast and also very rapid with the x2 TC. Sharpness on the bare lens @300mm is excellent at f2.8 but even better when stopped down to f4, f5.6 and even f8 ! With the 1.4TC @ 420mm sharpness is excellent at f4 but outstanding at f5.6 and with the x2 TC @ 600mm very good at f5.6 and excellent at f8.
The auto focus ability is excellent too with the bare lens and the 1.4 TC but is very slightly less quick with the x2 TC but would probably improve if the lens was used on a tripod or monopod, which would also assist the composition framing.
Overall my decision to ditch the 400mm f2.8 is easily compensated by the fact this 300mm f2.8 lens plus 1.4Tc gives me equivalent sharpness to the bare 400 albeit a stop down, but this combo (a1 +300 +1.4TC) is far more portable, easy to hand hold, means I can get more lenses and kit into my flight bag, gives me (with the x2 TC) a chance to get 600mm at f5.6, is better in really low light to shoot close subjects hand held in great detail and has left me with some surplus "dinero" too boot.
Selling the 400 was tough as it is a beautiful lens, but I really only used it for hide work on trips to the Continent , especialy Spain, so economically I wasn't getting the full value out of it-- the 300mm will be my companion lens for hiking along with either the 100-400 or the 90mm Macro in a holster. I do have the 200-600, which is a great lens for the money, but I was really only using it at 600mm, so to carry the 300 + x2 TC will give me a better than equivalent option and at a lighter weight too.
One other observation is that the much applauded balance of the 300 on a small body is actually enhanced with either of the two TC's as the extra (small weight ) at the back end makes the combo feel even more "front end light " and great for panning.
This is a "fun", although not cheap, lens to use with great flexibility covering three distances, has great "bokeh" and subject separation, especially at 300 mm and will encourage me to improve my field work skills to get closer to the subject (within reason) to fill the frame.
Coupled with the Sony a9lll this would be a dream speed machine for Kingfishers, Humming birds, small BIF and also butterflies and Dragon flies etc.
Now I wonder what I will do about my second a1 body ???

Agree with everything here. Also a great push to do more scenic/environmental shots. I got some of my favorite recent shots with the 300 mm, or with the 70-200+1.4 TC I was using to try out the idea before I bought the 300.

Back