Sony 300mm f2.8 V Sony 200-600mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ian

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I travel a lot by air and I do wildlife photography a lot, especially birds. My current rig for BIF etc is Sony A1 with a Sony 100-400 and the x1.4 TC. I get decent results with this rig, the lens plays well with the 1.4 but I’m down to f8. I have a X2TC which I rarely use on the 100-400. I really like the 100-400 it’s a great lens and very versatile. But!!! I’m sorely tempted by the Sony 300mm f2.8 ( I think I can get the cost past “management”). I would use it with the X2TC and I understand it plays well with that TC.
I have discounted the Sony 200-600 due to size and weight, unless I buy 2, one for the UK and one for Florida where I spend about 3-4 months of the year. Having 2 negates the weight and size issue.
Do I really need more than 600mm that the 300 & X2TC would give? If I did, I could always go into DX mode on the A1.
I’m kind of thinking aloud here so to speak.
I would be interested in other people’s thoughts, especially those who have either or indeed both those lenses.

I’ve shot with both lenses though not side-by-side so take my comments with a grain of salt. Comparing a $6k prime against a less than $2k zoom is a bit of a challenge as they really have different applications. The 300 is lighter, beautifully balanced, and other worldly sharp. It’s fantastic with the 1.4x with virtually no degradation of IQ, and fantastic with the 2x if you don’t mind tc’s. To me it’s a balance of available funds and preferences.

300GM is an amazing lens. Fastest focusing lens Sony makes (at least in super telephoto category). It takes the TCs better than any other Sony lens I've used them on (including the 400GM and 600GM).
I used to own the 200-600 and it is also a good lens but not great with the TCs so I'd view that lens as a 600mm lens and not really a 840mm lens. Therefore I'd view both of your choices as 600mm choices. If you are just shooting static perched birds then the 200-600/1.4TC can be used, just wouldn't rely on it for BIF. I sold my 200-600 a few years ago as I just wasn't using it. I preferred my primes and have the 100-400GM if I need a zoom or smaller/lighter lens to pack/carry.
For what I shoot, 600mm is usually the sweet spot. But only you will know what focal length is suitable for your locations. I'm sure it is enough for most of FL birds but not sure about the UK.
I'd go for the 300GM unless you want the versatility of the zoom. Would you be able to travel with the weight of the 300GM and 100-400GM? That combo would be great versatility.

300GM is an amazing lens. Fastest focusing lens Sony makes (at least in super telephoto category). It takes the TCs better than any other Sony lens I've used them on (including the 400GM and 600GM).
I used to own the 200-600 and it is also a good lens but not great with the TCs so I'd view that lens as a 600mm lens and not really a 840mm lens. Therefore I'd view both of your choices as 600mm choices. If you are just shooting static perched birds then the 200-600/1.4TC can be used, just wouldn't rely on it for BIF. I sold my 200-600 a few years ago as I just wasn't using it. I preferred my primes and have the 100-400GM if I need a zoom or smaller/lighter lens to pack/carry.
For what I shoot, 600mm is usually the sweet spot. But only you will know what focal length is suitable for your locations. I'm sure it is enough for most of FL birds but not sure about the UK.
I'd go for the 300GM unless you want the versatility of the zoom. Would you be able to travel with the weight of the 300GM and 100-400GM? That combo would be great versatility.
Thank you, very helpful comments

it all comes down to if you need zoom flexibility or not

the majority of people with I shoot with are older (see: retired) Sony shooters. out of 8 of them, all but 1 ended up selling their 200-600 and buying the 300 f2.8 instead. their reasoning - they almost always used the 200-600 at 600mm, and the new lens provides better IQ, faster AF, and significantly lighter weight at that focal length. it also allows them to drop down to 420 f4 and 300 f2.8 if needed, and if there is enough time to switch off TC's.

the one remaining shooter who didn't switch, only didn't do it because he's on fixed income and can't afford to do it yet.

it all comes down to if you need zoom flexibility or not

the majority of people with I shoot with are older (see: retired) Sony shooters. out of 8 of them, all but 1 ended up selling their 200-600 and buying the 300 f2.8 instead. their reasoning - they almost always used the 200-600 at 600mm, and the new lens provides better IQ, faster AF, and significantly lighter weight at that focal length. it also allows them to drop down to 420 f4 and 300 f2.8 if needed, and if there is enough time to switch off TC's.

the one remaining shooter who didn't switch, only didn't do it because he's on fixed income and can't afford to do it yet.
All but one of my friends sold off their 200-600 even before the 300GM. Most just use there 600GM and/or 400GM all the time. My one friend who kept his 200-600 for travel instead of his 600GM now has the 300GM....will be interesting to see if he sells the 200-600 now. He never uses except when travelling to Asia by air.

I kept my 200-600 as my walk around lens in Florida because the range is ideal, but everywhere else i use the 100-400 with or without the 600 f:4 depending on the situation. I wouldn’t do that today, I’d jump to the 300 f:2.8 as my primary lens for birding for all the reasons mentioned, and the 100-400 for travel. As good as the 200-600 is for its price, and How disruptive it was when Sony first released it, now there are more, better options.

I travel a lot by air and I do wildlife photography a lot, especially birds. My current rig for BIF etc is Sony A1 with a Sony 100-400 and the x1.4 TC. I get decent results with this rig, the lens plays well with the 1.4 but I’m down to f8. I have a X2TC which I rarely use on the 100-400. I really like the 100-400 it’s a great lens and very versatile. But!!! I’m sorely tempted by the Sony 300mm f2.8 ( I think I can get the cost past “management”). I would use it with the X2TC and I understand it plays well with that TC.
I have discounted the Sony 200-600 due to size and weight, unless I buy 2, one for the UK and one for Florida where I spend about 3-4 months of the year. Having 2 negates the weight and size issue.
Do I really need more than 600mm that the 300 & X2TC would give? If I did, I could always go into DX mode on the A1.
I’m kind of thinking aloud here so to speak.
I would be interested in other people’s thoughts, especially those who have either or indeed both those lenses.
I have been using the 300mm with both the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters and to me this is the best lens ever to be able to use teleconverters with. I have found the results with focusing speed and sharpness not to be any issue on both the A1 or A7rV. I also like how light and well balanced this lens is with and without the teleconverters. I have the 200-600 and find it compared to the 300 to be a real pain to use after using the 300. I also have the 600 /f4 and I cannot tell the difference between the lenes when using the 2x teleconverter on the 300. The only issue I have it will not fit in the Guru Gear Chobe bag, but it will fit in my roll-on bag (non-camera bag has clothes etc. just means less clothes in there and more in checked bag) , if I have to gate check the roll-on, I just pull it out and use the bag that came with it to carry it on.

Attachments

• 53714610964_42d47d089e_o.jpg
    53714610964_42d47d089e_o.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 53762279176_6c3f269d8b_k.jpg
    53762279176_6c3f269d8b_k.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 53762482083_fb6c48403e_k.jpg
    53762482083_fb6c48403e_k.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Well, I finally joined the Sony 300 GM club. The lens had been out of stock here in Canada but I checked the local dealer here in Toronto on Friday of last week and they had stock, quickly order it along with the 2X teleconverter, already had the 1.4X.
I picked up the lens today and it really is impressively lightweight when compared to the Sony 200-600, very noticeable. I've installed the Rolanpro cover which is pretty good, I like the material they use compared to the neoprene type covers, the material for the 300 GM is a little different than the one used for the 200-600, it's much finer in texture, still a pain to put on especially on the hood, it's super tight.

I really hate the lens cap that ships with the 300GM, I will be travelling this summer to shoot in Northern Portugal and the lens cover is huge and will be difficult to pack. I ordered a Breakthrough technologies 105mm pinch cap instead which will suit me just fine for travel. I also have the lay flat lenscoat hood which works with the 300gm, so I may not take the OEM Sony hood with me either.

Will be going out tomorrow to put the lens through it's paces, it's warbler breeding season here in my area so they will make good test subjects for BIF.

Well, I finally joined the Sony 300 GM club. The lens had been out of stock here in Canada but I checked the local dealer here in Toronto on Friday of last week and they had stock, quickly order it along with the 2X teleconverter, already had the 1.4X.
I picked up the lens today and it really is impressively lightweight when compared to the Sony 200-600, very noticeable. I've installed the Rolanpro cover which is pretty good, I like the material they use compared to the neoprene type covers, the material for the 300 GM is a little different than the one used for the 200-600, it's much finer in texture, still a pain to put on especially on the hood, it's super tight.

I really hate the lens cap that ships with the 300GM, I will be travelling this summer to shoot in Northern Portugal and the lens cover is huge and will be difficult to pack. I ordered a Breakthrough technologies 105mm pinch cap instead which will suit me just fine for travel. I also have the lay flat lenscoat hood which works with the 300gm, so I may not take the OEM Sony hood with me either.

Will be going out tomorrow to put the lens through it's paces, it's warbler breeding season here in my area so they will make good test subjects for BIF.

Me too! :LOL: mine arrived earlier today. Just been out to my local birding spot and very pleased/optimistic with what I experienced.
I only used with the 2xTC but it was clearly better performing than my 200-600 and I am looking forward to reviewing the images captured.
Only thing I didn’t like was the lens foot, will certainly need to replace that with something larger for carrying.
Would also prefer a smaller hood and proper lens cap but didn’t find these quite as annoying.
It’s a fun kit and I think it will be my main wildlife lens for many years to come.
Enjoy yours when you get to use it!

Me too! :LOL: mine arrived earlier today. Just been out to my local birding spot and very pleased/optimistic with what I experienced.
I only used with the 2xTC but it was clearly better performing than my 200-600 and I am looking forward to reviewing the images captured.
Only thing I didn’t like was the lens foot, will certainly need to replace that with something larger for carrying.
Would also prefer a smaller hood and proper lens cap but didn’t find these quite as annoying.
It’s a fun kit and I think it will be my main wildlife lens for many years to come.
Enjoy yours when you get to use it!
Yeah the lens foot was the first thing I swapped out when I picked up the lens this morning. I have a Leofoto lens foot that I use on the 70-200 GM II that work with the new 300 but it's a bit short I prefer the length of the Kirk lens foot for the 200-600.

I finally sold my 400GM....that means I get to order my 300GM....I saw my preferred dealer in Canada had one in stock on Saturday but it sold before I knew for sure my 400GM sale went through. Luckily they just got another copy in today so that should be mine. Can't wait!! I've ordered a lens skin and will swap on my lens foot from the 100-400GM for now and then probably need to order another foot if I find swapping them a PITA...although I don't think I'll be using them at the same time very often if ever.

Mind if I ask which Lens Skin you went for?
I have a RolanPro on my 200-600 which has been good, no problems.
The 300 I ordered is on its way.
I'm trying just the thin 3M AlphaGvrd one this time. I've never had those (always RolanPro or LensCoat). I got the Shadow Black camo one. Also ordered a short hood from John Wolff on FM that has made me short hoods for my 400 and 600GM. I like a short hood....even for the small 300GM

Did you get the lens that was in stock at CC this past weekend? Or elsewhere? Congrats on the new lens!!

Well, spent the morning putting my new 300 GM and teleconverter 2X through its paces and I am amazed at how well this combo works even for BIF. The morning was pretty overcast so light levels weren't the best but the AF never skipped a beat, I had my doubts about the 2X Tele AF but now I'm seriously impressed with this combo.

In terms of IQ, I had seen some shots that Geoff had posted so I new that the combo worked well but I can confirm that the shots are noticeably sharper than what I would expect out of my 200-600 so that was a big big swell.

Finally shooting the combo was way more comfortable to shoot with when compared to the A1/200-600. The A1/300GM just feels much better balanced in my hand and I was able to pan BIF shots much more effortlessly due to the significant weight difference. I'm really looking forward to the fall/winter when Kestrel season start-up again, this is going to be a killer combo for handheld Kestrel BIF.

I take two cameras in part to have a backup but equally import to have one camera with a long prime and the other with a telephoto zoom. In the past it was a 600mm f/4 and a 80-400mm or 200-500mm lens. There are too many situations where an in-between focal length is invaluable. Most of the time with the 600mm lens I used it with a 1.4x teleconverter attached to have a 840mm focal length.

You know the size and common camera to subject distances and so what focal lengths are going to work the best. In Florida the animal life is habituated to humans walking around and one can get much closer to them and a shorter lens is OK. The other situations are when shooting from a boat or from a blind there a zoom lens is important.

I keep looking at the 300 , the size, speed and sharpness looks fantastic . I use the 200-600 at 600mm 90% of the time . It seems a waste for me if I’d be keeping a x2 on it for most of its use .
Swapping TC’s is a PIA , Sony should make a separate attachment you can buy that fits to the primes and allows quick switch in TC ‘s . Maybe time they at least updated the x2 TC ?

I keep looking at the 300 , the size, speed and sharpness looks fantastic . I use the 200-600 at 600mm 90% of the time . It seems a waste for me if I’d be keeping a x2 on it for most of its use .
Swapping TC’s is a PIA , Sony should make a separate attachment you can buy that fits to the primes and allows quick switch in TC ‘s . Maybe time they at least updated the x2 TC ?
I agree, I think it would be very popular too :cool:

Went to my local camera store as they had the 300m F2.8 in stock. It is light and not much bigger than my 100-400. So, it will fit in my cabin bag which will go in a hat rack and it will fit in my rucksack which fits in the hatrack of smaller aircraft. Portability is important to me I live part of the year in Florida but most of the time in the UK.
It is an impressive lens, but I’m not going to purchase it.
Looking at my portfolio most of my BIF shots are at 560mm (100-400 with X1.4TC), to achieve the same focal length with the 300mm I would need the X2TC, This reduces the aperture to F5.6 compared to F8 with the 100-400. So, I would only gain 1 stop. For that it would cost me £5800, I loose, the zoom or the ability to go to 800mm with the X2TC and the 100-400. I very very rarely use this combo as I don’t like it. The only unknown is the autofocus speed. I am not unhappy with auto focus speed of the 100-400 and X1.4 TC it seems fine to me and it plays well with my Sony A1. The 200-600 is definitely out as its too heavy and too big. Same with the 400mm f2.8 not to mention the very considerable cost. Of course, what I really want is a 600mm f4 for about £5000 and the same weight and size as the 300mm but as the man said “I canna’ change the laws of physics, Captain!

I finally sold my 400GM....that means I get to order my 300GM....I saw my preferred dealer in Canada had one in stock on Saturday but it sold before I knew for sure my 400GM sale went through. Luckily they just got another copy in today so that should be mine. Can't wait!! I've ordered a lens skin and will swap on my lens foot from the 100-400GM for now and then probably need to order another foot if I find swapping them a PITA...although I don't think I'll be using them at the same time very often if ever.
Would love to know how you find the 300 mm as looking to get the same instead of 200-600 .

Would love to know how you find the 300 mm as looking to get the same instead of 200-600 .
I don't regret my decision to sell the 400GM for the 300GM. The 300GM is perfect for what I wanted it for and that was a prime quality walk-around lens that gets me up to 600mm.
If the 300 didn't take the 2xTC well I wouldn't have bought it. When the 300 first came out I had no real interest in it as I assumed the 2xTC performance would fall short as I don't like the AF performance with the 2xTC on the 400GM or the 600GM...especially on the 400GM. But luckily my friend bought a 300GM so I got to test it and as has been said in this thread and many others everyone I know is blown away how well it takes the 2xTC. The fact that I could get a good AF hit rate with great sharpness with the 2xTC on swallows in flight, terns in dive and osprey in dive sold me on the lens. It will be a welcome addition to my kayak...first outing should be tomorrow morning as I've been handholding the 600 or 400 in the kayak for the past 2 years.
The thing about the 300 is it has very fast AF and that translates through to the use of TCs....the bare lens being so fast allows it to remain speedy even with the 2xTC.

If you don't want the zoom flexibility of the 600 and are okay with the slower to change TC flexibility of the 300 then I think it is a better option than the 200-600. Also one has to be okay with the huge price delta between the two options. But it still gives me an f/2.8 option (which I have now given up selling the 400GM) and an f/4 option so that to me is better than the slower 200-600. AF is on an entirely different level versus the 200-600 so that is a big plus for my type of BIF shooting.

I don't regret my decision to sell the 400GM for the 300GM. The 300GM is perfect for what I wanted it for and that was a prime quality walk-around lens that gets me up to 600mm.
If the 300 didn't take the 2xTC well I wouldn't have bought it. When the 300 first came out I had no real interest in it as I assumed the 2xTC performance would fall short as I don't like the AF performance with the 2xTC on the 400GM or the 600GM...especially on the 400GM. But luckily my friend bought a 300GM so I got to test it and as has been said in this thread and many others everyone I know is blown away how well it takes the 2xTC. The fact that I could get a good AF hit rate with great sharpness with the 2xTC on swallows in flight, terns in dive and osprey in dive sold me on the lens. It will be a welcome addition to my kayak...first outing should be tomorrow morning as I've been handholding the 600 or 400 in the kayak for the past 2 years.
The thing about the 300 is it has very fast AF and that translates through to the use of TCs....the bare lens being so fast allows it to remain speedy even with the 2xTC.

If you don't want the zoom flexibility of the 600 and are okay with the slower to change TC flexibility of the 300 then I think it is a better option than the 200-600. Also one has to be okay with the huge price delta between the two options. But it still gives me an f/2.8 option (which I have now given up selling the 400GM) and an f/4 option so that to me is better than the slower 200-600. AF is on an entirely different level versus the 200-600 so that is a big plus for my type of BIF shooting.
Many thanks for your reply will look forward to some pics .

Back