Sony 300mm with Teleconverters - sharpness

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Sports shooters who shoot indoors like basketball have been wanting this lens and will shoot it at 300. Wildlife which is the bubble we live in sees it as something else than just a 300.
This lens alone is a reason for me (non-wildlife shooter) to get into Sony. The outer limit of my needs, for my surfing and automotive work is exactly 300/2.8. Looking forward to testing it with a 9iii in April.

Yeah, I was going to add that onto my previous post this morning. We here on BCG are sorta biased towards wildlife 😏 Even still, I for one want to see more bare-lens shots from this 300 2.8, which we’ll probably see more of soon enough.
Here are three bare lens shots I posted on FM.

IIRC Outdoor Photographer, some time before its demise, compared sports photography with wildlife photography and found much in common, so those who consider the 300 GM a sports photography lens, and those who consider it a wildlife photography lens are both correct.

How early in the morning are you out on the kayak? Waterfowl are an uncharted territory for me, and it seems the only way to get anything approaching a decent shot is to be out on the water. We have tons of fowl here in WI, but no way to get close to them (at least in my area).

How early in the morning are you out on the kayak? Waterfowl are an uncharted territory for me, and it seems the only way to get anything approaching a decent shot is to be out on the water. We have tons of fowl here in WI, but no way to get close to them (at least in my area).
I try to be on the water 10mins before sunrise.
But I don’t shoot much waterfowl from kayak. I do 95% of all my duck photography from shore. Including all my shots from yesterday. I find waterfowl are very scared of the kayak where I live. From shore they are much easier to get close to where I live on Vancouver Island. However when I lived in the Yukon Territory you couldn’t get near them on land or water so it can certainly vary a lot.

I use my kayak to shoot fishing Osprey, Eagles, Kingfishers and Herons. And some shorebirds. The only waterfowl I’ve found to be tame around the kayak are loons and grebes. Ducks? Forget about it!!!

I try to be on the water 10mins before sunrise.
But I don’t shoot much waterfowl from kayak. I do 95% of all my duck photography from shore. Including all my shots from yesterday. I find waterfowl are very scared of the kayak where I live. From shore they are much easier to get close to where I live on Vancouver Island. However when I lived in the Yukon Territory you couldn’t get near them on land or water so it can certainly vary a lot.

I use my kayak to shoot fishing Osprey, Eagles, Kingfishers and Herons. And some shorebirds. The only waterfowl I’ve found to be tame around the kayak are loons and grebes. Ducks? Forget about it!!!
We have nothing big lakes around here, and there’s just no way to get close without a watercraft because they all just want to sit out in the middle. I pretty much ignore fowl at this point, they’re a non-starter.

Do you use a blind/hide?

I'm starting to think I might want this one - it looks like it might be a great, high quality, walk-around lens.
It is a killer walk-around lens.
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to sell my 400GM and buy this instead.
I'd actually have use case for both 400GM and 300GM but I'm trying to be conservative and not have too many lenses like I did in the past.

Do you shoot Sony much anymore?
Not as much as I did - that 600TC (and the 600 PF / 400 4.5) really have a hold on me :)

However, I still prefer Sony's ergonomics and customization options. I still like their bodies better, but prefer Nikon's lens lineup. It's tough.

It is a killer walk-around lens.
I'm trying to decide if I'm going to sell my 400GM and buy this instead.
I'd actually have use case for both 400GM and 300GM but I'm trying to be conservative and not have too many lenses like I did in the past.

You went from being one with the most sceptical bias towards the 300GM with converters, to a big supporter of the 300GM with TC's.
That says a lot, it has to be true then what initial reviews said about this lens with TC's

Great to see higher end portable options arriving for Sony shooters.
I will wait for the Sigma 500 reviews myself.

Marble duck in flight. It’s actually the first outing with the Sony 300mm. It’s really great to walk around with a lightweight lens that performs well with 1.4/2.0 converter. Generally I photograph from hides (over here in Europe) The light yesterday wasn’t great to be honest but still got some nice flight shots of this pretty rare duck . I’m back there tomorrow and weather forecast is much better.Taken with 2x converter at Fuente de Piedra Andalucia, Spain

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Thanks Steve, If I could, I definitely would, but they told me when I preordered that this was considered a commitment to buy, so I’m locked in now. Hopefully it will arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Back