Sony 70-200 II GM v 100-400 GM

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Barbara

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I watched Art Morris' Pelicans webinar today (there's a link on another thread) and was intrigued by his recommendation of the Sony 70-200 II w/ TC -- even a 2x TC -- over the 100-400 for BIF. His reasons: the 70-200 is lighter, focuses faster, and has an internal zoom. But has anyone here used the 70-200 II with a 2x TC?

Yes, I use it all the time and I find it way better than the 100-400 which I don't like very much tho a very good and sharp lens. So the 70-200 with 2X converter has been
my go to. If I want more reach I switch to APSC. the 70-200 is wickedly fast and sharp.

I have both lenses and think they’re both fantastic. The 100-400 is very sharp, light and quick focusing. I personally don’t like a 2x TC on any lens. I don’t think the 70-200 would focus as fast as the bare lens with the 100-400. I have the 1.4x TC and have used it some with the 70-200GM2 but if I need a longer lens I’d always reach for the 100-400.

Last edited:
I sold my 100-400 after using the 70-200, have only used with the 1.4 so far, but would have no qualms using the x2 on it.
As Art says I prefer the internal zoom and lighter.

I have had the 100-400 for about 16 months and don't use it often but thing it's an excellent lens.

However I recently had the opportunity to photograph a concert (the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Hollywood Bowl) and rented the latstest version of 70-200. I brought 2 other bodies and lenses and my 1.4 and 2.0 TC's.

As I happened there was also a film crew there so the places one would normally get to shoot from, the pit, the side of the stage, etc. were off limits. All of the photog's were relegated top the sound board area which at the Hollywood Bowl puts you just about in the place where 400mm get's you reasonably close shots.

On top of that instead of the bands normal light show, including spotlights on the band members, the stage was lit for the film crew. It made for fine viewing but was very poor lighting for fast-ish shutter speed still photography.

I'd heard the 2.0TC worked well with the 70-200 so I threw it on and shot away, with 90% of the shots I took being with that combo.

I was kind of blown away at how well, especially in the challenging lighting, the combo worked. I'm not in a position to purchase one right now but would have no hesitation using the 70-200 with the 2.0 TC for wildlife.

Some samples (all cropped). The last one was picked up by Vogue for an article on the singer's (Karen O) costumes (note she'd walked onto a walkway in front of the stage allowing for tighter shot).

DSC01230.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
DSC01106-2.jpg
DSC09918-Edit.jpg

I have had the 100-400 for about 16 months and don't use it often but thing it's an excellent lens.

However I recently had the opportunity to photograph a concert (the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Hollywood Bowl) and rented the latstest version of 70-200. I brought 2 other bodies and lenses and my 1.4 and 2.0 TC's.

As I happened there was also a film crew there so the places one would normally get to shoot from, the pit, the side of the stage, etc. were off limits. All of the photog's were relegated top the sound board area which at the Hollywood Bowl puts you just about in the place where 400mm get's you reasonably close shots.

On top of that instead of the bands normal light show, including spotlights on the band members, the stage was lit for the film crew. It made for fine viewing but was very poor lighting for fast-ish shutter speed still photography.

I'd heard the 2.0TC worked well with the 70-200 so I threw it on and shot away, with 90% of the shots I took being with that combo.

I was kind of blown away at how well, especially in the challenging lighting, the combo worked. I'm not in a position to purchase one right now but would have no hesitation using the 70-200 with the 2.0 TC for wildlife.

Some samples (all cropped). The last one was picked up by Vogue for an article on the singer's (Karen O) costumes (note she'd walked onto a walkway in front of the stage allowing for tighter shot).

View attachment 49841View attachment 49842View attachment 49845
I don’t own the 2.0 but I do have the 1.4, and I will say with the 1.4 the images are indistinguishable. These images posted look very nice.

Back