Sony A1 BIF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Zone with tracking and eye detection AF so far for me and it’s been near flawless. My few misses were before sunrise in very low contrast conditions.

For very fast birds though I might disable tracking which is a bit slower at acquisition, but I would keep bird eye detection on at all times.

Last edited:
Zone with tracking and eye detection AF so far for me and it’s been near flawless. My few misses were before sunrise in very low contrast conditions.

For very fast birds though I might disable tracking which is a bit slower at acquisition, but I would keep bird eye detection on at all times.
Same here.

To the OP:

Depending on the bird, this can happen with any camera's larger AF areas. The a1 has an advantage in that it can see heads / eyes, but if it's not recognizing those head and eyes (trust, me it happens), then you'll likely get focus in the wrong place sometimes. The only other way to do it would retire you to use a smaller AF area (like one of the spot areas) and manually keep it on the head of the bird as it flew. Not impossible by any stretch and I do it all the time, especially with slower panning shots. But If you can keep the smaller AF area on the head, it should resolve the problem.

Back