Sony a1...Everything about the a1 thread...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well, I went ahead and bought the A1. Should be here by Monday. Now I just need to sell either my A9II or my A7RIV, my extra 1.4X TC, maybe my 200-600 lens and possibly a kidney to pay for it.

Many thanks for that Steve....................
I tried this but I found that every time I wanted to change the AF area, it was toggled out of tracking so it shows a warning and I had to toggle back into tracking before I could change the AF area. Remembering to toggle to tracking before changing the AF area was just too much for me.
I now use tracking hold on AF-On and limit the AF Area options to non tacking ones. This way I can change AF area at any point.
A FW upgrade would be nice if it allows tracking toggle on and off.

I tried this but I found that every time I wanted to change the AF area, it was toggled out of tracking so it shows a warning and I had to toggle back into tracking before I could change the AF area. Remembering to toggle to tracking before changing the AF area was just too much for me.
I now use tracking hold on AF-On and limit the AF Area options to non tacking ones. This way I can change AF area at any point.
A FW upgrade would be nice if it allows tracking toggle on and off.
There is a hold option for it as well so you can skip the toggle (Tracking Off Hold). Not sure that would work better - might be worth trying.

So those of you who have the A1, do you normally always shoot with electronic shutter or keep it in auto? I have had mine in auto since I bought it and was wondering if I would be better off just keeping it in electronic shutter.

So those of you who have the A1, do you normally always shoot with electronic shutter or keep it in auto? I have had mine in auto since I bought it and was wondering if I would be better off just keeping it in electronic shutter.
I have never used the mechanical shutter. It’s in electronic only mode.

I have never used the mechanical shutter. It’s in electronic only mode.
I’ll give that a try and just keep it in electronic. I hardly ever used electronic shutter in any of my previous cameras but after getting the Z9 and experimenting some with the A1 it seems to be trouble free.

I keep mine in electronic, but have an option to change it in my fn menu. You need the mechanical shutter for longer shutter speeds (over 1/2 second if I recall) and for higher sync flash. Still nearly everything is shoot is with the full electronic shutter.

I keep mine in electronic, but have an option to change it in my fn menu. You need the mechanical shutter for longer shutter speeds (over 1/2 second if I recall) and for higher sync flash. Still nearly everything is shoot is with the full electronic shutter.
That’s one of the reasons on most of my Nikon cameras I left it in mechanical shutter is because I do use flash quite often for macro shots. I’m curious how does Z9 is going to perform with longer shutter speeds and also with the flash but I haven’t got to try that out much yet. I don’t foresee ever using shutter speeds that great on the A1 nor do I see using flash since all my flash gear is for Nikon.

Interesting. I shoot astro with 13-30 second exposures and use electronic and have never had any issues. How would a mechanical shutter make any difference as it’s open for the full time?

QUOTE="dtibbals, post: 152110, member: 488"]
Interesting. I shoot astro with 13-30 second exposures and use electronic and have never had any issues. How would a mechanical shutter make any difference as it’s open for the full time?
[/QUOTE]

With the electronic shutter, you get 30 sec--1/32000 sec when shooting in single frame advance mode. You get 1/2 sec--1/3200sec when shooting in continuous frame advance. I only use the mechanical shutter when I need bulb mode or flash with 1/400 sec sync mode.

With the electronic shutter, you get 30 sec--1/32000 sec when shooting in single frame advance mode. You get 1/2 sec--1/3200sec when shooting in continuous frame advance. I only use the mechanical shutter when I need bulb mode or flash with 1/400 sec sync mode.
I never use single frame advice so I never caught that one :)

[/QUOTE]
Very educational I didn’t know that. Haven’t started Astro yet

I learned something the other night about the a1 that I don’t like. If you shut the camera off and than the next time you turn it on it doesn’t save your focus setting. Unfortunately I lost some great images from assuming my lens which was taped down would still be locked at the same focus point. It does not 😥

I am going to order her an A1 right now and a couple lenses. She wants the 100-400 and a wide zoom to start with. I need your advice. What is a good fast wide zoom she can use for milky way and landscapes?
She asked for a 24-70mm f/2.8 but I seem to remember the Sony is not the best???

The Sigma 24-70 art is considered better than the Sony. Another great Sigma lens is the 14-24 art (if you want something wider than the 24-70).

Sorry to hear that. Was that manual? I usually prefer MF for night shots
I was going to go shoot the milky way with a satellite this morning but forgot to get up early. 😕
Yeah manual. The lens must be fly by wire tech so it doesn’t keep the focus which is a bummer but now that I know it will never be a problem again.

Yeah manual. The lens must be fly by wire tech so it doesn’t keep the focus which is a bummer but now that I know it will never be a problem again.
Can’t say on the A1, but there might be a setting to tell the lens to refocus back to the last saved position. I know this was an issue for focus by wire lenses. I think Nikon allows you to return to the last focus position; if I remember previous firmware updates correctly.

Back