Sony a1 MK 2 Wish List

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

What I find so amusing is that the OM Systems OM-1 can do everything everybody wants at least as far as stills are concerned. Unfortunately, the OM-1 capabilities are locked in a m4/3 camera. However, everything everyone asked for should be doable by Canon, Sony and Nikon because the technology is already here.

Tom

I think the m43 size is integral to its capabilities. There is a lot less data in that small sensor to capture, write out, process, and store. Olympus would have the same challenges as everyone else at 45 mp.

I don't understand how a camera at the flagship level doesn't have focus shift. There must be some reason in the architecture that makes it impossible, otherwise it's this gaping hole in the spec sheet.

i may be alone in thinking the AF needs improvement, but I do wish for several improved AF features:
1) Customizable AF focus areas, as in the Z9. I 'd like the ability to limit the area to a small horizontal strip. Even more I would like a smaller focus point than the A1s current Spot Small. I have focus problems on both my A1s with dark subjects (particularly those that are smaller in the frame), suchs a bear or elk in the grass. It will look like the focus point is totally or nearly totally covering the head of the animal, but the focus locks on or suddenly jumps to bright green grass near the head. This problem occurs more frequently if eye detection is left on. For distant subjects, I often turn eye detection off.
2) I want Sony to incorporate color information in their focus algorithms. This is related to the issue noted above. If color info is used, I don't see how the focus point would jump from a bear to green grass.
3)I would like eye detection for video.
4) Stickier AF tracking. I shoot a lot of wood ducks and I find that the A1 likes the female wood duck's eye a lot more than the males. Even with AF tracking set to 1, I often found the eye af woud switch from the male to the female. However, I haven't checked this since the latest firmware update, so mayve it is already improved.

I would also like pre- capture and focus stacking.
The AF sizes are a good point. Overall, I've been happy with them. but I do think the a1 could benefit from a smaller spot point as well as a smaller Zone AF area. Customizable sizes would be great.

If they would add just one thing I would be completely content with these bodies for the next 4-5 years and that is focus shift shooting. I can’t for the life of me understand why a company the size of Sony offers no camera whatsoever that has this function, especially a $6500 camera! This should be easily implemented via firmware into most of their bodies. The one thing I really hope they don’t do is integrate a grip into the next generation and ruin the fantastic ergonomics they have with the A1. I have contemplated buying a secondhand Nikon Z6 and the kit 24-70 just to have for focus stacking, especially with landscapes.

If they would add just one thing I would be completely content with these bodies for the next 4-5 years and that is focus shift shooting. I can’t for the life of me understand why a company the size of Sony offers no camera whatsoever that has this function, especially a $6500 camera! This should be easily implemented via firmware into most of their bodies. The one thing I really hope they don’t do is integrate a grip into the next generation and ruin the fantastic ergonomics they have with the A1. I have contemplated buying a secondhand Nikon Z6 and the kit 24-70 just to have for focus stacking, especially with landscapes.
Agree. The only cameras I'd use for landscapes or macros are Nikons right now since I like to have the option to stack as needed. It's not that I can't do it manually, but the speed that it happens with FSS opens a lot of doors.

Agree. The only cameras I'd use for landscapes or macros are Nikons right now since I like to have the option to stack as needed. It's not that I can't do it manually, but the speed that it happens with FSS opens a lot of doors.
Yeah I sort of wish I would’ve kept the Z62 and one lens just for the ability to do so. I have sent the suggestion in a couple times but I really received no feedback from Sony. There should be no limitations with the A1, A9 or the A7IV preventing adding this feature via firmware.

I think the m43 size is integral to its capabilities. There is a lot less data in that small sensor to capture, write out, process, and store. Olympus would have the same challenges as everyone else at 45 mp.

Actually, I don't think that is the case. The OM-1 can capture 50 f/s with the right lens autofocusing on each frame. 50 frames x 20 mp/frame is more data than 20mp x 45 mp/frame. The Fuji x-h2s can do 40 f/s x 26 mp/frame which while the Canon R-7 can do 30 f/s x 32.5 mp/frame. None of these cameras costs more than $2500 and the Canon is $1500.

Admittedly the X-h2s and the R-7 are new. Previous Olympus cameras could not reach the approximately .9-1.0 data transfer rate but now it seems rather common.

Tom

PS: I have a theory about why, but it would be controversial, and I don't want to hijack the thread.

Reading this thread and hearing Steve’s views on the a1 makes me think I should have made the switch to Sony rather than investing in the Z9!!
The a1 is a heck of a camera, no doubt. However, there's a LOT that can be done with firmware for the Z9 that could help it get much closer. Although from a practical standpoint, I'm happy with either camera in the field. :)

i may be alone in thinking the AF needs improvement, but I do wish for several improved AF features:
1) Customizable AF focus areas, as in the Z9. I 'd like the ability to limit the area to a small horizontal strip. Even more I would like a smaller focus point than the A1s current Spot Small. I have focus problems on both my A1s with dark subjects (particularly those that are smaller in the frame), suchs a bear or elk in the grass. It will look like the focus point is totally or nearly totally covering the head of the animal, but the focus locks on or suddenly jumps to bright green grass near the head. This problem occurs more frequently if eye detection is left on. For distant subjects, I often turn eye detection off.
2) I want Sony to incorporate color information in their focus algorithms. This is related to the issue noted above. If color info is used, I don't see how the focus point would jump from a bear to green grass.
3)I would like eye detection for video.
4) Stickier AF tracking. I shoot a lot of wood ducks and I find that the A1 likes the female wood duck's eye a lot more than the males. Even with AF tracking set to 1, I often found the eye af woud switch from the male to the female. However, I haven't checked this since the latest firmware update, so mayve it is already improved.

I would also like pre- capture and focus stacking.
I'd like some AF improvements too. For me the challenge has been more with low flying harriers and owls against moorland heather and grass. (A challenge for any AF system) Subject to background colours are similar in my case though. Flipping between zone and spot is the way I currently try to get the best results but either can grab the grass. I haven't tried switching eye detection off yet but will give it a go now you mentioned it. Customizable AF zones (small horizontal strip) would really help for when the bird flies a bit higher but this still tends to be close to the top of the grass/horizon.

The a1 is a heck of a camera, no doubt. However, there's a LOT that can be done with firmware for the Z9 that could help it get much closer. Although from a practical standpoint, I'm happy with either camera in the field. :)
I just hope that Nikon rise to the challenge. It’s just those instances where the Z9 seems to struggle with focus due to contrast when I know my D6 would get the shot. By the way, loved the new book. Great read as usual. Will now watch your video.

My view is that the Z-9 will continue to have firmware upgrades that add some of the features people want while Sony and Canon will release new flagship bodies.

If you are an occasional photographer like me, not full-time or professional, you need these new features. In particular pre-capture and focus stacking will make a huge difference to your photography. As a bird photographer, I can testify that pre-capture is required for those who haven't spent the countless hours studying bird behavior and honed the reaction time to capture the shot.

I expect the Z-9 to upgrade to a RAW based pre-capture but I expect Sony A1 users will need to purchase a new camera.

Tom

My view is that the Z-9 will continue to have firmware upgrades that add some of the features people want while Sony and Canon will release new flagship bodies.

If you are an occasional photographer like me, not full-time or professional, you need these new features. In particular pre-capture and focus stacking will make a huge difference to your photography. As a bird photographer, I can testify that pre-capture is required for those who haven't spent the countless hours studying bird behavior and honed the reaction time to capture the shot.

I expect the Z-9 to upgrade to a RAW based pre-capture but I expect Sony A1 users will need to purchase a new camera.

Tom
I think both will need a new camera - I don't think either camera has the buffer capacity for RAW pre-capture or Nikon would have already done it. I'd like to see it, time will tell.

Reactions: LTK
I think both will need a new camera - I don't think either camera has the buffer capacity for RAW pre-capture or Nikon would have already done it. I'd like to see it, time will tell.

Steve-
My hypothesis of what Nikon can do is based on what the OM-1 and the Canon R7 does do. I am speaking here of what OM Systems calls ProCapSH2. The camera focuses between each shot.

Each has a maximum number of shots in PRE, 70 for the OM-1 and 15 for the R7. Both can capture 93 shots in the buffer. Nikon can capture 1000 RAW frames @ 20f/s. While I understand that the 1000 frames is based on the camera writing frames to a fast CF-B cards but it seems unreasonable that Nikon engineers don't have at least 15 frames storage in the Z-9 buffer.

I am thinking that initially, pre-capture was not a big thing to Nikon. Before the OM-1, Olympus ProCapture did not have the benefit of good Subject ID in Olympus cameras and the professional photographer that the Z-9 targets were not really interested. I am thinking that the current pre-capture capabilities is something of an after thought.

I don't expect that Nikon views OM Systems as much of a competitor, but I think Canon has fired a shot across Nikon's bow with RAW pre-capture on the R-7. I expect the next Canon camera to have pre-capture and the next Sony as well.

My thinking is that Nikon will need to upgrade the firmware on the Z-9 to compete with the new Canon and Sony offerings and I think that they can.

Tom

Steve-
My hypothesis of what Nikon can do is based on what the OM-1 and the Canon R7 does do. I am speaking here of what OM Systems calls ProCapSH2. The camera focuses between each shot.

Each has a maximum number of shots in PRE, 70 for the OM-1 and 15 for the R7. Both can capture 93 shots in the buffer. Nikon can capture 1000 RAW frames @ 20f/s. While I understand that the 1000 frames is based on the camera writing frames to a fast CF-B cards but it seems unreasonable that Nikon engineers don't have at least 15 frames storage in the Z-9 buffer.

I am thinking that initially, pre-capture was not a big thing to Nikon. Before the OM-1, Olympus ProCapture did not have the benefit of good Subject ID in Olympus cameras and the professional photographer that the Z-9 targets were not really interested. I am thinking that the current pre-capture capabilities is something of an after thought.

I don't expect that Nikon views OM Systems as much of a competitor, but I think Canon has fired a shot across Nikon's bow with RAW pre-capture on the R-7. I expect the next Canon camera to have pre-capture and the next Sony as well.

My thinking is that Nikon will need to upgrade the firmware on the Z-9 to compete with the new Canon and Sony offerings and I think that they can.

Tom

This thread is a discussion of the Sony a1.

The a1, which this thread concerns, is not marketed toward the occasional photographer.

Steve-

Tom
Doug is correct and we need to get back on topic :) , but I will offer this: Keep in mind that if the Z9 can keep 15 or 20 shots in the buffer, it still has to shoot once the subject files and for more than just a split second. And, to keep this topic towards the a1, I think it likely would have the same issue. Hopefully the next gen of both cameras will include pre-capture :)

Doug is correct and we need to get back on topic :) , but I will offer this: Keep in mind that if the Z9 can keep 15 or 20 shots in the buffer, it still has to shoot once the subject files and for more than just a split second. And, to keep this topic towards the a1, I think it likely would have the same issue. Hopefully the next gen of both cameras will include pre-capture :)
2 things I predict in the future generations of cameras are 1) Internal high speed storage (SSD, NVMe) will make removable memory cards relegated for low end or older cameras. 2)SoC processors to take advantage of the super fast storage (Think Mac M1/M2 type innovation). With these 2 innovations, FPS and Buffer become a worry of the past. A big enough internal SSD will be sufficient for the foreseeable future. How many photographers really shoot more than 2TB in one day? External USB connected SSD's could easily offer backup or auxiliary storage.

Will it be Sony or someone else? Not sure. To keep it on track, it would be cool for the next A1 to tackle some of this.

Jeff

2 things I predict in the future generations of cameras are 1) Internal high speed storage (SSD, NVMe) will make removable memory cards relegated for low end or older cameras. 2)SoC processors to take advantage of the super fast storage (Think Mac M1/M2 type innovation). With these 2 innovations, FPS and Buffer become a worry of the past. A big enough internal SSD will be sufficient for the foreseeable future. How many photographers really shoot more than 2TB in one day? External USB connected SSD's could easily offer backup or auxiliary storage.

Will it be Sony or someone else? Not sure. To keep it on track, it would be cool for the next A1 to tackle some of this.

Jeff
I filled a 2TB ssd and my internal storage in less than an hour of shooting today (Z9). Video. All professional photographers are expected to shoot video and stills and the hybrids are stepping up to the task. Sony has some of the best cine cameras on the market today (FX3, FX6 and of course Venice), but only one competitive hybrid (a7Siii) which is identical to the FX3 and doesn't come close to the Z9, the only other full-frame MILC hybrid. The next A1, I hope, would up internal recording capabilities, not overheat, focus and refresh better, have a flippety screen, better battery life and more. Another possibility would be to have an A1C or FX1, similar strategy Canon is using with its R5C.

Actually, I don't think that is the case. The OM-1 can capture 50 f/s with the right lens autofocusing on each frame. 50 frames x 20 mp/frame is more data than 20mp x 45 mp/frame. The Fuji x-h2s can do 40 f/s x 26 mp/frame which while the Canon R-7 can do 30 f/s x 32.5 mp/frame. None of these cameras costs more than $2500 and the Canon is $1500.

Admittedly the X-h2s and the R-7 are new. Previous Olympus cameras could not reach the approximately .9-1.0 data transfer rate but now it seems rather common.

Tom

PS: I have a theory about why, but it would be controversial, and I don't want to hijack the thread.

I think one has to make sure it's an apples to apples comparison. Both with 14 bit lossless raw for example. Once done I think all these high end cameras are processing and writing out at very similar speeds per megapixel. It's just fewer pixels to process.

Having tried this feature on the Z9, which currently requires you use jpg, you select the length of time you want to precapture for once you fully press the shutter. If you selected .5 seconds, it’s dumping everything before that .5 second from the buffer, writing the .5 second of images to the card and everything shot afterwards and you can easily shoot for a couple seconds. If you were shooting 20FPS in HE*or at 15fps in lossless RAW, you should be able to keep shooting for an infinite amount of time. I would think 15-20FPS would be sufficient. Given that it the A1 has a larger buffer to compensate for the slower cards, I would think they could also implement it at 15-20fps, even if it required lossy RAW. I would be happy with it at the lower fps for RAW so either they/others don’t think it would be useful at the lower fps or there is another reason like maybe a patent that might be preventing it. Unless I’m missing something it seems like it is technically feasible.

edit: having thought about it a little more, cameras start writing to the card after the first image, so filling .5 seconds of buffer with precapture will have a larger impact that I implied, but it should still be technically feasible at the slower frame rate or HE*/Lossy RAW formats.

Also glad to see concern from others for keeping threads on topic now.

Last edited:
I filled a 2TB ssd and my internal storage in less than an hour of shooting today (Z9). Video. All professional photographers are expected to shoot video and stills and the hybrids are stepping up to the task. Sony has some of the best cine cameras on the market today (FX3, FX6 and of course Venice), but only one competitive hybrid (a7Siii) which is identical to the FX3 and doesn't come close to the Z9, the only other full-frame MILC hybrid. The next A1, I hope, would up internal recording capabilities, not overheat, focus and refresh better, have a flippety screen, better battery life and more. Another possibility would be to have an A1C or FX1, similar strategy Canon is using with its R5C.
Wow, if I were shooting 2TB in a day, I think I would be reading them out to an external SSD in the scenario I mentioned above.

Wow, if I were shooting 2TB in a day, I think I would be reading them out to an external SSD in the scenario I mentioned above.
That's what I'm doing using an Atomos Ninja + Angelbird. And I have a spare. But it makes for a heavy, bulky setup. Panasonic just introduced direct SSD write on the GH6 via firmware, which would be ideal for current generation flagships. But I agree with you, I hope the A1 mk2 would have substantial internal memory. I have an FX6 on order and I'd love to pair it with a Sony hybrid with the A1 capabilities.

Back