Sony A1 question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
For the long time Sony users on here, I would like to ask a question. I have my A1 setup like my Nikon cameras to write to card two for video. I had it out this morning and shot some video but now it's writing images to card two. I have it setup for auto switch media, raw to both cards and video to card two only. I can't figure out how to even toggle the cards in playback. I'm sure it's something really simple and I suppose I need to dig into the manual as well. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Steve discusses this in his book. Check out page 154 it should walk you through it. I will admit Sony does it a bit weird but not to often I fill up a 160G card without being able to offload it but I do keep two in the camera. He also suggest (don't recall the page number in the book) to just write to the same card for both video and stills as Sony puts them in a different folder anyway.

Steve discusses this in his book. Check out page 154 it should walk you through it. I will admit Sony does it a bit weird but not to often I fill up a 160G card without being able to offload it but I do keep two in the camera. He also suggest (don't recall the page number in the book) to just write to the same card for both video and stills as Sony puts them in a different folder anyway.
I don’t have the book you’re referring to. I just don’t understand why automatically switch is over to that card and you can’t switch it back. I was able to get the video off the card as well as the images but it’s still stuck on card two on the camera

I don’t have the book you’re referring to. I just don’t understand why automatically switch is over to that card and you can’t switch it back. I was able to get the video off the card as well as the images but it’s still stuck on card two on the camera
Ahhh well it is a great read and I highly recommend it. I skimmed it when I bought it but than finally yesterday I set a few hours aside and went into reading all 270 pages and tweaking my a1's. It doesn't automatically switch preview which I agree is stupid. Suggestion is add that menu item to your quick menu so you can switch which card to read. This is why Steve suggest doing video and still onto one card.

Ahhh well it is a great read and I highly recommend it. I skimmed it when I bought it but than finally yesterday I set a few hours aside and went into reading all 270 pages and tweaking my a1's. It doesn't automatically switch preview which I agree is stupid. Suggestion is add that menu item to your quick menu so you can switch which card to read. This is why Steve suggest doing video and still onto one card.
Yeah I might try changing the settings but I agree this is really stupid to design something like this. You would think it would automatically go back to slot one since there’s space left. So you’re saying do video and images to both cards and still use auto switch media if I’m understanding you correct?

Yeah I might try changing the settings but I agree this is really stupid to design something like this. You would think it would automatically go back to slot one since there’s space left. So you’re saying do video and images to both cards and still use auto switch media if I’m understanding you correct?
Steve recommends it. I haven't shot video on the a1 but from what he says Sony puts videos and stills in different folders even if on the same card so not much of a need to split them for most users.

Steve recommends it. I haven't shot video on the a1 but from what he says Sony puts videos and stills in different folders even if on the same card so not much of a need to split them for most users.
That’s what I noticed today. You have to go into a separate location on the card to retrieve the videos. I still can’t understand how in the world you just toggle between the cards even when reviewing images.

Im assuming you just have to go back into the playback menu and do it manually. This is the only way I could switch it. I can’t find a shortcut.

Im assuming you just have to go back into the playback menu and do it manually. This is the only way I could switch it. I can’t find a shortcut.

My experience is that if I fill (or get really close to filling) slot 1 then it goes over to slot 2. At that point the next time I use the camera it will use slot 2 first. Most days I don't make it to slot 2 so I'm always on slot 1. But if I did jump to slot 2 then I try to remember to go back into and change to slot 1 again before the next shoot.

I have video to slot 2 and that doesn't seem to make anything switch to slot 2 for stills. But I'm not shooting stills to both cards.

I have a My Menu line item to get into the menu to change back to Slot 1.

Not sure if this page from the Help Guide will be any help or not: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2040/v1/en/contents/TP1000422691.html

Last edited:
My experience is that if I fill (or get really close to filling) slot 1 then it goes over to slot 2. At that point the next time I use the camera it will use slot 2 first. Most days I don't make it to slot 2 so I'm always on slot 1. But if I did jump to slot 2 then I try to remember to go back into and change to slot 1 again before the next shoot.

I have video to slot 2 and that doesn't seem to make anything switch to slot 2 for stills. But I'm not shooting stills to both cards.

I have a My Menu line item to get into the menu to change back to Slot 1.
I tried adding it to my menu but it doesn't give the option for the playback menu. Also not sure if you do much video with the A1 but if you do, Is it best to use 10bit or 8bit in your opinion?

That's where I had to change it but foe some reason I can't add a playback menu option to my menu. I currently have 3 pages of items in My menu for quick access but perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I can check this evening what the menu item I'm using is called. All I can remember is it just takes me to the screen where you change the slot for stills and video.

I can check this evening what the menu item I'm using is called. All I can remember is it just takes me to the screen where you change the slot for stills and video.
Okay, I appreciate that. I've tried for a while and can't seem to be able to add it. Not sure if you saw my question but, do you normally shoot 10bit with the A1?

Okay, I appreciate that. I've tried for a while and can't seem to be able to add it. Not sure if you saw my question but, do you normally shoot 10bit with the A1?
I rarely shoot video and I'm not sure what settings I'm using the few times I have tried. I often just use S&Q mode so I have slo-mo footage without any work in post. I'm not sure what bit rate that is.

Rec media settings?
Yes that is what I had in the My Menu but then I realized that the OP was more asking about changing the Playback card. If you change it in Rec/Med setting then you still need to fire off one shot and then it should change to playback on its own. I'm not sure if there is a My Menu option for going into the Playback select menu directly.

Yes that is what I had in the My Menu but then I realized that the OP was more asking about changing the Playback card. If you change it in Rec/Med setting then you still need to fire off one shot and then it should change to playback on its own. I'm not sure if there is a My Menu option for going into the Playback select menu directly.
Yeah I knew how to go into the menu to do it but thought there was a shortcut I was missing. Also, once I did a few videos it just keep putting the stills images on card 2 instead of one. Anyhow I've changed it to write both to both. Seems they made this more cumbersome of a process than it needs to be.

Back