Sony a9III Poor Sales Performance?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Radiator is active cooling, we're talking passive. All cinema cameras have active cooling, mostly fans. Even the compact FX30. No hybrids today have active cooling (I consider the R5C a cine camera), and the only 8k one that doesn't overheat is the Z9. It's also the heaviest and as John said above, it's probably on purpose.

Canon recently patented miniaturized built-in radiators for hybrids, so it's coming.
Radiator is definately a passive cooling, unless it has a fan or a medium running through it. But otherwise its passive, it radiates, like the name implies.

Radiator is definately a passive cooling, unless it has a fan or a medium running through it. But otherwise its passive, it radiates, like the name implies.
Let me rephrase. Water standing there without air moving to cool the fins, while passive, won't help much in this situation. In the absence of heat removal mechanism, either via air, water or clever material/heat pathway design, mass is necessary.

Let me rephrase. Water standing there without air moving to cool the fins, while passive, won't help much in this situation. In the absence of heat removal mechanism, either via air, water or clever material/heat pathway design, mass is necessary.
But mass acts only as a heat storage device. Either way at some point you will need surface to move the heat away. Camera body obviously is a kind of a radiator, bigger size of a z9 might play a role here.

Anyway I would be also catious when comparing bodies and videospecs. I wonder how much heat is generated by 8k30 footage vs lets say 4k120p. It might be comparable.

It would be cool if there was a heatpipe inside camera body and lets say an optional bottom plate with usual 3/8" sockst swappable for camera cage with radiator, external fan etc. But we would be approaching cine cameras these way .. like you said, lines are getting blurred 👍

But mass acts only as a heat storage device. Either way at some point you will need surface to move the heat away. Camera body obviously is a kind of a radiator, bigger size of a z9 might play a role here.

Anyway I would be also catious when comparing bodies and videospecs. I wonder how much heat is generated by 8k30 footage vs lets say 4k120p. It might be comparable.

It would be cool if there was a heatpipe inside camera body and lets say an optional bottom plate with usual 3/8" sockst swappable for camera cage with radiator, external fan etc. But we would be approaching cine cameras these way .. like you said, lines are getting blurred 👍

As far as global shutters, they are far more important to video than stills, but in most instances you give up IQ. The A9iii has the dynamic range of a cropped sensor and doesn't go below ISO 250. Might not matter for stills, but a good 2 stops of DR lower than the A1 and Z9 will make it hard to edit, especially the highlights.

But it's changing. Red just introduced an 8k/120 global shutter camera with 17+ stops of dynamic range.
i think you’ve mentioned this a few times and it’s always left me scratching my head, but i recently cam across this video which i think explains it.

they’re actually taking two images really close together, sort of like bracketing. this trick seems like it could be applied elsewhere as long as the readout speed was fast enough, or if you were really cool having cache to store both images in the sensor itself.

in any case a clever trick that we should see more of unless Red has patented it 🤣

the funny thing is i don’t know why i didn’t think of this because in my firmware suggestions i suggested a similar leveraging of the fast readout speeds 😜

John wrote:

Computational Dynamic Shutter Speed​

Leverages the ability of the camera to take several images rapidly, and then allow those images to be combined computationally to provide the effect of performing shutter speed bracketing.

The user selects a minimum and maximum shutter speed and number of images and the camera takes in a bracket and captures an image at each of these shutter speeds.

This would be useful where someone wishes to stop all motion, but also wishes to really dial in the slowest possible speed at which that result can be obtained.

A potential optimization might be to have the camera determine the speed needed to span the number of images. So if the user has selected:

Minimum: 1/1000
Maximum: 1/2000
Number images: 2

The camera could determine that it could take two images at 1/2000s and then using that those images, it could create one image at 1/1000s and one image at 1/2000 by aggregating the captured data.

in any case, this is the video:

Well I bought one. It will be here Tuesday. I figure I should help Sony sell one 😃. I’ve been on the fence and figured I have 30 days to figure out if it makes a good addition to my current kit or not.

Fortunately I have a trip coming up before the return period ends that I can really compare the a1 to the a9III. It should be interesting. Part of me wants to love it and part of me doesn’t lol.

Arthur Morrison had a post last week that pretty much told me I should try it. He was in the same camp and even said he didn’t want to like the camera but now loves it after a week of shooting birds flying.

We shall see.

Back