Sony a9III Poor Sales Performance?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It’s one of those things many years ago I thought it was great having a 24 megapixel sensor but once you have a 50 megapixel or 60 megapixel sensor, it’s hard to go back lol. It makes it really nice having that extra crop ability.
I started with 6 mp then 12mp and for a long time the world was on 12 then 16 mp, i went from a D300 to a D3X 24.5mp Flagship for many years, then the 45mp D850 and Z9
Mind you love and still do the D4s D5 D6.

Agree I love higher resolution sensors, once you see its magic you don't want to go back.

With a phone cameras stacking 15 frames in every shot, that technology needs to filter through to our cameras.

The Apple iPhone 15 on the rear packs a dual camera setup featuring a 48-megapixel (f/1.6) primary camera, and a 12-megapixel (f/2.4) camera.

Which ever way we cut it, we are still dealing with the old formula of mainly time light and speed combinations.

Only an opinion

Ugh why did you post this!?!? I’ve been holding myself back from buying one but now I think I’ve got to! I’ve got images running through my head of what this could put on a card that my a1 can’t. I’ve also got a trip coming up first of April errrr.

Anyone loaning money interest free? 🤣🙏🤞

It’s for you, basically, that I posted this video. and I see that it works!
Ugh why did you post this!?!? I’ve been holding myself back from buying one but now I think I’ve got to! I’ve got images running through my head of what this could put on a card that my a1 can’t. I’ve also got a trip coming up first of April errrr.

Anyone loaning money interest free? 🤣🙏🤞
It’s for you, basically, that I posted this video... and I see that it works! :cool:

People are mixing up sensor read speeds for video and stills. They aren't the same. You can't take the still readout speeds of an A1 and Z9 and say anything about the video read speeds.
100%, mostly due to bit-rate and implementation. That's the catch of the hybrid cameras that have to be optimized for one or the other. I think that will change as global shutters and better processors are implemented. Sorry to mention this camera again, but the new Red has specs that will put all "stills" sensors to shame. For only $50k.

I’m curious if you bought one?
It's in front of me, on my desk :D
I changed an A1 to take an A9III. So I now have one of each.
The second A1 was in backup and I hardly used it. I now have the best of both worlds.
I have not yet had the opportunity to use the A9III in the field in wildlife.
The combo A9III + 600mm GM should be on top ;)
The setting is very close to that of the A1 (based on @Steve 's guide for the A1).

Nothing to do with performance necessarily, but I find it odd that even the top pro level Sony bodies at $6K do not have an integrated vertical grip like Nikon and Canon. Maybe some people prefer the smaller body, but when you see a picture of them lined up side by side (Canon R3, Nikon Z9, Sony A1 or A9iii), the Sony bodies look like toys in comparison. Please do not misquote me as saying they are toys or they have lower performance; I am just saying how the physical body looks. Clearly Nikon and Canon think pros like having a bigger pro body and I wonder why Sony does not think so?
Perhaps but the added battery grip to the Sony works just fine if you feel you need more bulk. And Sony's battery grip fits most of its high end bodies (something Nikon never would do), but I'm not sure of the a9iii. After shooting many of the Nikon pro bodies for 30+ years, I have really enjoyed the change to Sony, especially the reduced weight.

I think the a9III is just a start for Sony in the global sensor line of cameras. I have several wildlife photography friends who are raving about their a9IIIs. Still, I personally want to see how the new technology pans out as the camera gets in more pro photographers hands. Meanwhile there are some good deals popping up on used a1 cameras. My local camera store called me about an a1 that was returned after a week as a trade in for an a9III.
I traded in my a9II and now my well used a1 has a new partner!

Interesting video for those who want to use their A9III with flashes... here and here as well.
It shows that big lights manufacturers are interested in using their products with the A9III.
What's more, Westcott provides a "Field Guide: FJ Wireless Flash & Sony a9 III Compatibility Settings", in which they give information about the FJ400 model + A9III.
And they mention as well : "We will provide Flash Sync settings for other FJ Wireless flashes in the future."
Enjoy ;)

Interesting video for those who want to use their A9III with flashes... here and here as well.
It shows that big lights manufacturers are interested in using their products with the A9III.
What's more, Westcott provides a "Field Guide: FJ Wireless Flash & Sony a9 III Compatibility Settings", in which they give information about the FJ400 model + A9III.
And they mention as well : "We will provide Flash Sync settings for other FJ Wireless flashes in the future."
Enjoy ;)
I’ve used flash in nearly every situation I can think of over the years and even in mid day sun with a 1.8 or 1.4 prime, I’ve never gotten close to the A1 1/32000th shutter speed. Obviously this is high speed sync past 1/400th but I can’t fathom a real life situation of ever needing to sync a flash at 1/80000th lol. It would be nice not having to go into high speed sync so soon but honestly I hardly ever need above 1/400th. Even taking flash out of the equation, I can’t imagine a real life situation ever needing 1/80000th shutter speed. At well less than 1/20000th on a tripod I can capture every movement of a hummingbird wing lol. I’m curious to hear your thoughts once you get some time with the camera.

I’ve used flash in nearly every situation I can think of over the years and even in mid day sun with a 1.8 or 1.4 prime, I’ve never gotten close to the A1 1/32000th shutter speed. Obviously this is high speed sync past 1/400th but I can’t fathom a real life situation of ever needing to sync a flash at 1/80000th lol. It would be nice not having to go into high speed sync so soon but honestly I hardly ever need above 1/400th. Even taking flash out of the equation, I can’t imagine a real life situation ever needing 1/80000th shutter speed. At well less than 1/20000th on a tripod I can capture every movement of a hummingbird wing lol. I’m curious to hear your thoughts once you get some time with the camera.
It’s probably more of a spec it can do but likely isn’t practical in the real world.

I think the version 2 A1 will most likely be a more practical camera but could be wrong
I think it will be a worthy upgrade. I think and key word is think but haven’t put money on the table yet but I do think the a9III today paired with the a1 gives an action/wildlife photographer a very powerful combo.

I think folks (myself included) are hung up on the 25MP and price. If I didn’t own any and had to pick one the a1 is still clearly the best action do it all camera. However, if you can have both it will give you capabilities second to none.

Not doing this for a living I’m trying to decide if the few key features and abilities it has that my a1’s don’t is worth $6800 (grip and sales tax).

Also running through the back of my mind is what and when will we see a new a1. If it’s a worthy upgrade I’ll be selling two and buying two. That’s not going to be cheap!

Last edited:
I think it will be a worthy upgrade. I think and key word is think but haven’t put money on the table let but I do think the a9III today paired with the a1 gives an action/wildlife photographer a very powerful combo.

I think folks (myself included) are hung up on the 25MP and price. If I didn’t own any and had to pick one the a1 is still clearly the best action do it all camera. However, if you can have both it will give you capabilities second to none.

Not doing this for a living I’m trying to decide if the few key features and abilities it has that my a1’s don’t is worth $6800 (grip and sales tax).

Also running through the back of my mind is what and when will we see a new a1. If it’s a worthy upgrade I’ll be selling two and buying two. That’s not going to be cheap!
Yeah for me the drop in resolution along with the price is a definite no go. I don’t even go beyond 20fps on the A1 so sure don’t need more fps and losing half the cropable pixels.

I think it will be a worthy upgrade. I think and key word is think but haven’t put money on the table let but I do think the a9III today paired with the a1 gives an action/wildlife photographer a very powerful combo.

For me the A7RV is a phenomenal addition to the A1. I have all the things I wanted in the A1 like the articulating screen, new menus, format by card, AI autofocus, focus bracketing and so on. The A9iii has never been even the slightest temptation to buy. Now if it were 40mp that would change things for me but for now the combo I have is great and covers everything and I don’t have to spend an additional $6K.

I find the idea that 24-25 megapixels is not enough is not really true. I like being able to pair a high resolution 46 MP camera with a standard resolution 24 MP camera. There are plenty of times when larger photosites for better low light performance would be better. There are times when 24 MP is all you need even for a large print - and 24 MP upsizes very nicely. And for volume work, smaller files from a 24 MP camera are quite nice. My next camera will be a 24 MP camera - and I've already sold my Z7ii with plans to get a Z6iii to pair with my Z8. Even if I need to crop, the quality of the image from a 24 MP camera supports cropping moderately and still resulting in great images for prints.

The big advantage you have with a 24-25 MP camera is smaller files - which are faster to process, faster to write to a card, and longer to fill a buffer. If you want a fast camera, this is one of the first tradeoffs I'm willing to make.

Back