Sony and built in TCs?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Who knows. Now that Nikon has done it its very possible. Canon phoned it in with their large primes for their new mount so maybe that was a bandaid until they do what Nikon is doing. Since the 400 and 600GM are relatively new to Sony and like Canon and Nikon they will cater to the media and such on product development and their appetite to buy them I suspect its possible but I bet it will be a few years or more as those agencies need to replace large glass that is now 8+ years old at that time.

But to be fair it is anyones guess. If they do and they are reasonably priced I will update my lenses but it isn't a reason I wouldn't buy a 400 or 600GM now or another brand for that matter.

Canon recently filed patents. They're coming...

If Nikon has it and canon will have it, Sony will have to do the same. Maybe they should try to beat Canon to the punch :)

I'm actually a little surprised Sony didn't do it first - they seem like they are always trying to be on the leading edge of photography, but Nikon really cleaned everyone's clock with lenses this year.

I'm actually a little surprised Sony didn't do it first - they seem like they are always trying to be on the leading edge of photography, but Nikon really cleaned everyone's clock with lenses this year.
to be fair, i think we can see evidence that nikon has been doing a lot of deep thinking about lenses since back to the z-mount itself and the introduction of the first s-line lenses that weren't just re-heated f-mount lenses.

certainly it's easier to follow than to lead, but i would be a bit surprised if everyone just "caught up" super fast. but i'm sure they will indeed try to match the offerings as soon as is feasible.

one thing i like about nikon, is it certainly seems like they're willing to play the long game.

If Nikon has it and canon will have it, Sony will have to do the same. Maybe they should try to beat Canon to the punch :)

The industry used to be much more lock-step, with Canon and Nikon introducing similar products in 5yr cycles. Sony completely upended that with their consumer-electronics philosophy of getting products out there as soon as they are almost ready and cannibalizing their own products. I think Canon and Nikon are still trying to figure out how to counter that change.

The industry used to be much more lock-step, with Canon and Nikon introducing similar products in 5yr cycles. Sony completely upended that with their consumer-electronics philosophy of getting products out there as soon as they are almost ready and cannibalizing their own products. I think Canon and Nikon are still trying to figure out how to counter that change.

Another misinformation post. Canon/Nikon run about 3 year lifecycles on their camera bodies and have done so for a long time. Sony is about the same if you pay close enough attention to it.

Lenses appear to be on a much longer lifecycle --- I would estimate about 7 years before they're normally refreshed.

while that very well might be part of the issue, i think the big thing is Canon and Nikon were doing incremental development.

i think Sony caught them so unaware with mirrorless AF design, that they had many problems:

1) trying to figure out how to build a performant, cost-effective mirrorless AF system in the first place. people seem to think this is just "do some work", but this is an incredibly hard problem and i think Canon and Nikon were only toying with it until Sony showed them it could be done, then they had to figure it out ASAP.

i think folks should think about this like everyone was flying planes around and playing with going a little higher, a little faster, and then all of a sudden, Sony puts a man on the moon. and just like the space race, Canon and Nikon have done a good job being able to also put a man on the moon in the period of only several years.

2) in order to do #1, it forced Canon and Nikon out of their incremental development into much more substantial development. i think both Canon and Nikon had very finely tuned development cycles and allocation of resources. if you look how they re-used components like the AF module across the D5, D500, D850, you can see how they'd update one or a couple of things, and then use those parts in various places.

if you look at the z9, basically everything is new. if you relate that back to how they were previously only doing a couple of things at a time, this is a huge effort. and of course, they needed interim cameras (ie, z6, z7) and oh, new lenses. and a completely new software system. oh, and everything needs to be faster than ever before.

it seems like Canon and Nikon took a bit different approaches to how they did this, but in reality, both have done an incredible job.

The Olympus 150-400mm zoom was out with a built-in TC before Nikon. From all reports it's a superb lens and will produce the FF equivalent of 1000mm with the TC engaged. I doubt I'll ever get one due to the size, weight and cost but apparently the lens can't be beat for image quality.

Didn’t Canon launch the first ever lens with an inbuilt TC? Canon’s 200-400 F4 with built in 1.4TC followed by Nikon‘s 180-400 F4 TC and then the Olympus 150-400mm.
Yes. However Nikon is first with a prime. The zoom lenses from Canon and Nikon weren't the best with the TC engaged. The new primes from Nikon seem to be outstanding.

Lenses with built-in TC's are not new. Though fairly recent in the still camera world, they've been around in Broadcast video lenses for years. Fuji, Canon and others have had zoom lenses with TC's available with up to 100x magnification, though more typically in the 20x to 60x range. They were fairly common back in the late 80's when I was tangentially involved in the video world. As you might imagine, pricing is an order of magnitude higher than our still camera lenses with servo everything.

In recent years, I have been burning kilograms of candles, hoping that Sony will produce lenses with integrated TC. No luck yet :(
But when you know the power of Sony in R&D, there’s no doubt that it will come :)
The question is... when ❔

I shoot Sony and Nikon - and have a 400 2.8 and 600 F/4 Sony. I prefer Nikon's lenses, but like Sonys bodies better. Figures, right?
I just received the Monster LA-FE1 adapter to use my Nikon F lenses on my Sony A1 and so far it works well. I will post a review after I use it a few days, but so far it looks promising.

Back